Sibling skaters - is the younger one more successful? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sibling skaters - is the younger one more successful?

Icey

Record Breaker
I would say the Jenkins brothers were equally successful, both winning an OGM . Carol Heiss was more successful than her younger sister. Sarah was more successful than her younger sister.

Sk8gr812

Spectator
*Often both skaters start at the same time, which means the younger one starts at a younger age. If there's more of an age difference and the younger doesn't start until the older has already been skating for a few years and the younger wants to join the fun, the younger one still might be younger than the older one was when s/he started. Starting younger will usually correlate with greater success
Yes this is what happened in my family my sister 5.5 years older than me started when she was 5/6 (i think)and then I started when I was 2 though she is still ahead of me I think when I am the age that she quit skating at I will have achieved more simply because of more years of skating.

Sk8gr812

Spectator
Sorry there was meant that was meant to be a quote I'm new here and not sure how to quote because I pressed reply with a quote anyways the first part before yes this is...... Is not mine it is another persons on this forum (sorry I don't know your name) just to clear that up i didn't write the first part.

Welcome, Sk8gr812! I had terrible trouble with the quoting mechanism when I started. Don't worry; you'll get it right eventually. Did you press "Reply with Quote" after clicking on that person's post?

You started skating when you were 2? Wow, you must be so at ease on skates by now. I think that's the age that Janet Lynn started skating. I'm curious: do you think that such an early start made a difference with your flexibility?

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Max Aaron is having more success in skating than Molly his older sister did. Rudy Galindo & Ryan Bradley both had older sisters who skated. Philip Dulebohn had an older brother who competed in pairs, as did Philip.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max Aaron is having more success in skating than Molly his older sister did.

Remains to be seen whether Max Aaron's younger sister Maddie will eventually equal or surpass his success. The day before Max won Junior Nationals in 2011, Maddie and her partner won the U.S. Novice title for pairs. They were the junior bronze medalists in pairs at 2013 Nationals.

Very impressive family. The day after he won Junior Nationals, Max joked, “My parents were worn out before yesterday, maybe even before we got here.” And still on their docket that week was the competition for Senior Pairs, in which Molly and her partner placed 11th.

BTW, although Molly is older than Max, her IN bio says that she started skating because he played hockey.

ETA, enjoyable 2010 story about the three Aarons training in Colorado Springs, where they all squeezed into a tiny apartment along with their mother:

cinnamon

On the Ice
Remains to be seen whether Max Aaron's younger sister Maddie will eventually equal or surpass his success. The day before Max won Junior Nationals in 2011, Maddie and her partner won the U.S. Novice title for pairs. They were the junior bronze medalists in pairs at 2013 Nationals.

Very impressive family. The day after he won Junior Nationals, Max joked, “My parents were worn out before yesterday, maybe even before we got here.” And still on their docket that week was the competition for Senior Pairs, in which Molly and her partner placed 11th.

BTW, although Molly is older than Max, her IN bio says that she started skating because he played hockey.

ETA, enjoyable 2010 story about the three Aarons training in Colorado Springs, where they all squeezed into a tiny apartment along with their mother:
Really cute articles. Are they (his siblings) still skating?
And this is what I've found for this thread
http://instagram.com/p/a6Qw9ZMAVo

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Really cute articles. Are they (his siblings) still skating?
And this is what I've found for this thread
http://instagram.com/p/a6Qw9ZMAVo

Thanks for the photo. :)
The IN bio for Max's younger sister Maddie Aaron and Max Settlage lists their 2014 program music and indicates that they still are competing as a junior pair.
[ETA, just noticed that their past season's FS music was Carmen. ;)]​
Older sister Molly retired, and returned home to Arizona to attend college.
BTW, Max talked a bit about both sisters in his interview with The Skating Lesson.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Don't forget the Swedish sisters, Viktoria and Joshi Helgesson! Viktoria is 5 years older but so far she has been a little bit better. They both are coached by their mother. They all must have good nerves and huge amount of sense of humour :biggrin:

concorde

Medalist
If all things are equal, I would expect the younger child to be better. Why? I expect 1) the younger child to start skating at a younger age (because the parents are bringing the older sibling) and 2) the parent has the benefit of knowing more about the sport so they won't make the same mistakes with the younger child. #2 can be applied to most parenting lessons, not just ice skating.

However, the real key is PASSION - who has it? The child with the passion for the sport will be the better regardless of birth order.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Evan Lysacek is the middle sibling (has an older sister Laura, and a younger sister Christina). I know his older sister used to skate. But I think she moved on to other sports and was successful (basketball). His younger sister Christina, was very successful in volleyball. We know which sibling was the most accomplished here though. :)

Jeremy Abbott has an older sister, Gwen that was an x-games and nationally ranked US downhill ski racer.

samson

Medalist
TRICK QUESTION!!! Maia is neither more nor less successful that Alex. Nothing gets by 'ol Samson! Hahah I am
V I C T O R I O U S in solving this riddle! ;)