Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

Thread: Sibling skaters - is the younger one more successful?

  1. #16
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I wonder if some nourishing-type big sisters might take greater pleasure in supporting their little sister's dreams than in pursuing her own.

    When Venus and Serena Williams competed against each other Venus always held back and let Serena win if she could. (Cf. the movie "A League of Their Own.")
    Luckily, even with her nurturing of her younger sister, Venus has had a very impressive career of her own.
    I haven't kept up with the tweets from either Williams recently, but their frequent expressions of mutual affection -- how much they miss each other when apart, etc. -- are really sweet.

    Just a thought: One of the Orioles teammates of Cal Ripken, Jr., was his younger and less successful brother Billy. But again, I don't want to diminish the achievement of playing MLB -- an accomplishment in itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    ... because skating is often perceived as a girl's sport ...
    Am curious about this comment (not because I disagree with it). Why is skating perceived as more of a sport for girls? Is the perception widespread only in the U.S.? In most or all countries worldwide?

    A few days ago was looking at photos of a meet-and-greet featuring five elite skaters (two female and three male) at a U.S. event, and it is true that almost all -- if not all -- of the kids lined up to take advantage of the opportunity were girls.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I believe Brian Joubert started skating "via" his sister, as well (I don't know their respective ages) - and I wonder how often that happens? That a boy begins figure skating because his sister is skating?
    Jason Brown started skating because his older sister did. She never continued...

    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Am curious about this comment (not because I disagree with it). Why is skating perceived as more of a sport for girls? Is the perception widespread only in the U.S.? In most or all countries worldwide?
    It seems to be a very Western train of thought and what it boils down to is the stereotype that an artistic man is a gay man (thus, a girly man). Girls are supposed to be artistic and pretty and elegant. Boys are supposed to be strong and muscular and athletic. You know, sexism at its finest. Men are not supposed to be elegant and artistic according to society.

  3. #18
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    338
    If I remember right, Jeff Buttle had an older sister skating?

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,479
    Speaking of siblings, a possible exception to the rule is the four Dodds brothers of Australia...they're all very good. Jordan is maybe the best known but he's the third brother, not the youngest.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,491
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Jason Brown started skating because his older sister did. She never continued...



    It seems to be a very Western train of thought and what it boils down to is the stereotype that an artistic man is a gay man (thus, a girly man). Girls are supposed to be artistic and pretty and elegant. Boys are supposed to be strong and muscular and athletic. You know, sexism at its finest. Men are not supposed to be elegant and artistic according to society.
    This is something I so admire about the Russians. They always had the view that dancing is a powerful, manly art as well as one for ladies. I think a large part of this stems from their pride in their ballet tradition, both in Moscow with the Bolshoi and in St. Petersburg with the Kirov, going back a century or more. But it's also due to their vibrant folk tradition, with troupes that tour the country and the world. (I was once lucky enough to see the Moiseyev Dance Company, and it's splendid.) Other Eastern European countries have the folk tradition, but they're not such a presence in skating right now.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,930
    I would say the Jenkins brothers were equally successful, both winning an OGM . Carol Heiss was more successful than her younger sister. Sarah was more successful than her younger sister.

  7. #22
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8
    *Often both skaters start at the same time, which means the younger one starts at a younger age. If there's more of an age difference and the younger doesn't start until the older has already been skating for a few years and the younger wants to join the fun, the younger one still might be younger than the older one was when s/he started. Starting younger will usually correlate with greater success
    Yes this is what happened in my family my sister 5.5 years older than me started when she was 5/6 (i think)and then I started when I was 2 though she is still ahead of me I think when I am the age that she quit skating at I will have achieved more simply because of more years of skating.

  8. #23
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8
    Sorry there was meant that was meant to be a quote I'm new here and not sure how to quote because I pressed reply with a quote anyways the first part before yes this is...... Is not mine it is another persons on this forum (sorry I don't know your name) just to clear that up i didn't write the first part.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,491
    Welcome, Sk8gr812! I had terrible trouble with the quoting mechanism when I started. Don't worry; you'll get it right eventually. Did you press "Reply with Quote" after clicking on that person's post?

    You started skating when you were 2? Wow, you must be so at ease on skates by now. I think that's the age that Janet Lynn started skating. I'm curious: do you think that such an early start made a difference with your flexibility?

  10. #25
    Custom Title merrywidow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,391
    Max Aaron is having more success in skating than Molly his older sister did. Rudy Galindo & Ryan Bradley both had older sisters who skated. Philip Dulebohn had an older brother who competed in pairs, as did Philip.

  11. #26
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,465
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    Max Aaron is having more success in skating than Molly his older sister did.
    Remains to be seen whether Max Aaron's younger sister Maddie will eventually equal or surpass his success. The day before Max won Junior Nationals in 2011, Maddie and her partner won the U.S. Novice title for pairs. They were the junior bronze medalists in pairs at 2013 Nationals.

    Very impressive family. The day after he won Junior Nationals, Max joked, “My parents were worn out before yesterday, maybe even before we got here.” And still on their docket that week was the competition for Senior Pairs, in which Molly and her partner placed 11th.

    BTW, although Molly is older than Max, her IN bio says that she started skating because he played hockey.

    ETA, enjoyable 2010 story about the three Aarons training in Colorado Springs, where they all squeezed into a tiny apartment along with their mother:

  12. #27
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,465
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    Belated thanks to cinnamon for the vid of Carly Gold's Rippon lutz. Good for Carly.

  13. #28
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,099
    Off topic, but I just came across this music CD featuring two famous skating sisters (2008).

    http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...classic-cd.jpg

  14. #29
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Belated thanks to cinnamon for the vid of Carly Gold's Rippon lutz. Good for Carly.
    My pleasure. This is also good
    http://instagram.com/p/dSO2cmsAQL/#
    Carly can do lots of good jumps. Just if she can present all what she has at competitions, she will be more successful. I'm waiting for that.
    Well, by looking at this, Gracie's jump is much sharper, but still
    http://instagram.com/p/bEiq7_sAdW/

  15. #30
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Remains to be seen whether Max Aaron's younger sister Maddie will eventually equal or surpass his success. The day before Max won Junior Nationals in 2011, Maddie and her partner won the U.S. Novice title for pairs. They were the junior bronze medalists in pairs at 2013 Nationals.

    Very impressive family. The day after he won Junior Nationals, Max joked, “My parents were worn out before yesterday, maybe even before we got here.” And still on their docket that week was the competition for Senior Pairs, in which Molly and her partner placed 11th.

    BTW, although Molly is older than Max, her IN bio says that she started skating because he played hockey.

    ETA, enjoyable 2010 story about the three Aarons training in Colorado Springs, where they all squeezed into a tiny apartment along with their mother:
    Really cute articles. Are they (his siblings) still skating?
    And this is what I've found for this thread
    http://instagram.com/p/a6Qw9ZMAVo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •