Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Super early predictions on ladies Grand Prix

Custom Title

Super early predictions on ladies Grand Prix

I saw different threads where people try to guess what places senior competitors are going to get. I decided opening the thread about senior and junior girls who are going to participate in the upcoming gp season.

So you can write your guesses here

The first senior event is SA. So what are your thoughts?

Miserere Nobis
    SA: Wagner, Asada, Tukt

Justification: Asada usually builds momentum as the season goes on, and Wagner, being on home ice, will have the crowd on her side to boost her confidence. Tukt and Radionova will fight for 3rd, but with Tukt's stronger skating skills/higher PCS, I expect her to barely eke out the victory.

This is, as always, merely my educated guess.

Custom Title
    That sounds logical, ForeverFish. I would say that's a strongly possible outcome.

Custom Title
    Asada, Radionova, Tuktamysheva, Wagner,

Banned
    goody its back, lol

SA: Wagner, Asada, Radionova
    in that order

Mao doesnt have a great track record skating in the US
    Wagner will be in home crowd and inflation will be there

Custom Title
    Radionova wins GPF. My guess is one or both of Kostner and Kim won't compete at the final.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Radionova wins GPF. My guess is one or both of Kostner and Kim won't compete at the final.
    If Yu-Na and/or Kostner qualifies for the final, aren't they required to compete there(with few exceptions, such as injuries/family member passing away)?

Or, has there been any other case of a skater withdrawing from GPF for any other reasons? I've never looked at the ISU rules close enough to see if it's possible for a skater to simply skip the GPF.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    SA: Wagner, Asada, Tukt

Justification: Asada usually builds momentum as the season goes on, and Wagner, being on home ice, will have the crowd on her side to boost her confidence. Tukt and Radionova will fight for 3rd, but with Tukt's stronger skating skills/higher PCS, I expect her to barely eke out the victory.

This is, as always, merely my educated guess.
    I hope Mao starts the year strong. I think in 2010 Mao gave up a lot of ground to Yuna by not skating well early in the season and she needs to have a strong season this time to be a gold medal threat in the judge's minds.

Custom Title
    That is highly unlikely on both counts. The only reason Kostner/Kim wouldn't compete is due to injury. Obviously Kim is more assured than Kostner, but it's still a pretty sure thing both will compete.

As for Radianova winning, she is still really under-developed in terms of artistry. However, I could picture her doing what Tuktamysheva did in her first GP season, and skate technically superior performances, and steal a win (or at least a silver) from the favourites, and has a good shot at making the final.

Miserere Nobis
    I think Tukt in her debut season had far more of the all-around package than does Radionova now. I can't see her besting at least one of Wagner and Asada at SA for silver, but she could wind up with bronze if Tukt falters. At NHK, Radionova will face a similarly tough field that includes Asada, Suzuki, Gold, Li, and Nagasu. Highly unlikely that she'll top three or four of the above. She might eke out a 4th place finish there, but even that would be an impressive feat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    I think Tukt in her debut season had far more of the all-around package than does Radionova now. I can't see her besting at least one of Wagner and Asada at SA for silver, but she could wind up with bronze if Tukt falters. At NHK, Radionova will face a similarly tough field that includes Asada, Suzuki, Gold, Li, and Nagasu. Highly unlikely that she'll top three or four of the above. She might eke out a 4th place finish there, but even that would be an impressive feat.
    agreed, Tuk had better skating skills on her debut than Radionova
    she still looks very light and very much a junior with her wobbly jumps
    the best she'll be fighting for is bronze, silver if only the favorites have a huge spaltfest

Custom Title
    This is a prediction and also a wish: 1.Ashley, 2.Mao, 3.Elena, 4.Liza, 5.Valentina.
    I haven't seen anything from Ashley yet but I trust her and I really would like her to win here, with or without the inflation. I think she fairly deserve it last year even if they gave her extra points for home skating. This happens everywhere. I've seen Mao SP, Elena SP and LP, Liza SP and Valentina SP and all are beautiful except Liza's.

Custom Title
    I thought you didn't have to compete at GPF if you don't want to, for someone like Yuna or Carolina, it could just be extra pressure that they don't need or want right before the Olympics.

Miserere Nobis
    I thought you didn't have to compete at GPF if you don't want to, for someone like Yuna or Carolina, it could just be extra pressure that they don't need or want right before the Olympics.
    I'm not clear on the rules about dropping out of the GPF, but I can't imagine that a healthy Yuna or Carolina would shy away from the "pressure." They're fiercely competitive; it's just not their way. What would an unexplained withdrawal look like to the international audience and judges?

They don't meet on the GP, so the GPF will be their first and last big chance to show their mettle before the Olympics, and to see how they stack up relative to each other. Plus, Yuna competed in (and won) the GPF during the last Olympic season with far more pressure to deliver, so I don't see why she would drop out this time around.

Custom Title
    I haven't looked up the rules, but I find it extremely difficult to imagine that, in agreeing with the ISU to participate in the GPs, a skater is not also automatically agreeing to participate in the GPF if qualified.

I know some have reservations about the collective intelligence of Speedy and the ISU, but...really?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast