Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Super early predictions on ladies Grand Prix

I think Radionova beats Liza, and Wagner on home ice beats Asada, in this case. Because Wagner is more determined to show off to the judges than early season Asada.

Custom Title
    Skate Amerika:
    1)Wagner
    2)Radionova
    3)Mao

Skate Canada:
    1)Kim
    2)Gold
    3)Julia

Custom Title
    If Gracie has issues again with nerves i don't see her perhaps even medaling at SC. It's going to be tough for her to make the GPF with the competition she's facing this season so she needs to be sharp right out of the gate. Ashley on the other hand got the easier GP events.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If Gracie has issues again with nerves i don't see her perhaps even medaling at SC. It's going to be tough for her to make the GPF with the competition she's facing this season so she needs to be sharp right out of the gate. Ashley on the other hand got the easier GP events.
    Then again, that's true for almost everyone at SC -- Gracie, Akiko, Julia, Kaetlyn, Kiira, etc. It's a crazy-tough field, so they'll ALL have to hit the ground running. No ifs, ands, or buts. Yuna is the only lady consistent enough to put down two clean (or mostly clean) performances; even with jump mistakes, she's so far ahead of everyone else that she's almost guaranteed a spot on the podium.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    I think Skate Canada is a much better candidate for prediction and (friendly ) debate, actually.

My thoughts: Kim, Gold, Suzuki

Justification: Yuna almost never arrives at a competition unprepared, and even in a field this tough, she'll be head-and-shoulders above the rest as long as she does what she's capable of. Gracie, after Yuna, is the strongest technician of the bunch -- and she's making strides in her artistry that should see a rise in PCS. Akiko, although without the technical difficulty of the former two, has shown that she's capable of massive scores (see 2013 WTT for proof). However, if either Gracie or Akiko falters, I could see any of Kaetlyn, Julia, or Kiira surging forward to take their places.
    Kim will win easily. However wow it is a deep field and there are 5 or 6 fighting for 2nd or 3rd place, and for all it is vital importance to their grand prix final hopes. This is definitely the toughest assignment on the grand prix.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Then again, that's true for almost everyone at SC -- Gracie, Akiko, Julia, Kaetlyn, Kiira, etc. It's a crazy-tough field, so they'll ALL have to hit the ground running. No ifs, ands, or buts. Yuna is the only lady consistent enough to put down two clean (or mostly clean) performances; even with jump mistakes, she's so far ahead of everyone else that she's almost guaranteed a spot on the podium.
    There's no way Yu-Na won't win. She would have to sit down on half of her jumps to miss the podium. If Carolina or Mao were there it'd be different; but she is so far beyond the league of the other SC competitors, it's almost pointless to have the competition. It sounds silly/sarcastic but I swear it's the truth! lol!

Gracie will have 10 times as much pressure on her this season. She really isn't going to get an adjustment period: last year was her debut season complete with oodles of hype and pressure, and now this season is more pressure and expectation ("she'll unseat Ashley as the US #1 this season!") in addition to the insane pressure of competing in an Olympic year.

I wouldn't count Kiira out of the mix here, especially if Gracie is still jittery and makes errors. Kiira has a 3-3 as well as great PCS...she could be a potential upset to everyone's predictions. A solid performance from her could sneak onto the podium.

I'd like to see it:

1. Yu-Na
    2. Akiko
    3. Gracie/Julia

Gracie controls her own fate here. If she's decent, that silver will be hers. If she has a repeat of SC from last season, the best she can hope for is 5th.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    If Carolina or Mao were there it'd be different
    Then again Kostner hasnt beaten Kim since 2008, and Mao hasnt beaten her since 2010, and neither are early season skaters, so probably not that different at all in fact, lol! The earliest point Kim will even be under remote pressure from a competitor is the grand prix final.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Then again Kostner hasnt beaten Kim since 2008, and Mao hasnt beaten her since 2010, and neither are early season skaters, so probably not that different at all in fact, lol! The earliest point Kim will even be under remote pressure from a competitor is the grand prix final.
    Well Kim hasn't competed between 2011 and 2013, so you can't really say "Mao hasn't beaten her since 2010".
    They only had 2 encounters after 2010 worlds IIRC (2011 and 2013 worlds).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TryMeLater View Post
    Well Kim hasn't competed between 2011 and 2013, so you can't really say "Mao hasn't beaten her since 2010".
    They only had 2 encounters after 2010 worlds IIRC (2011 and 2013 worlds).
    I guess but given that Mao didnt even return to being a top 3 skater again until this past season, I doubt it would have mattered if they met 2 times or 12 in this period.

I guess but given that Mao didnt even return to being a top 3 skater again until this past season, I doubt it would have mattered if they met 2 times or 12 in this period.
    She may not have medalled at the 2011 and 2012 worlds, but she still received some of the highest scores in the sp, fs and overall that were given in both years, and on top of it, she got either Gold or Silver at every event she entered in the 2011-2012 season (except worlds). Her outcome leading up to Worlds made her a favorite for both 2011 and 2012 Worlds.
    The number of times skaters meet, always makes a big difference, since different skaters peak at different times during the season.

Custom Title
    That's true, but she had some outstanding competitions (like 2011 Four continents where she skated better than Kim did at 2011 Worlds) so you never now. Since she showed she was capable of very good skating, it's not fair to assume she would have lost to Kim anywhere between 2010-2012.

I too believe Ashley will win 2013 Skate America. If Czisny managed to beat Carolina in 2011 with a crappy FS (and beat her also in PCS in SP+LP), Ashley will most likely win Skate America if she skates half decently. Plus, as other have mentioned, she seems to be in form at the beginning of the season while Mao's condition is at her best during Nationals-4Continens (if we take into consideration the last couple of seasons)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3