Super early predictions on ladies Grand Prix | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Super early predictions on ladies Grand Prix

TheCzar

On the Ice
I would predict that this is how it would go:

1. Wagner- home ice + her record of usually starting strong should suffice. However, I will keep in mind her late coaching change and see how it affects her skating. Remember, Asada's first outing after joining forces with Arutunian wasn't all that great. It got better by the time Worlds came around (but then that may be more Asada's tendency to burn slowly). She 'seems' hungry for it and adamant to prove her critics from Nationals wrong. Going into Olympic season too, I'm pretty certain that she will have her game face on to keep her momentum and keep the judges' trust.

2. Asada- at best I would say Mao will come in second. If she goes conservative and do the way she did last season, she can eke out a win from under Ashley by a point or two, but since she's already said she wants to start the season with the planned difficulty to get her steam going, then chances are she will pop (or double/two-foot) planned 3A and lose points. However, the past season showed that she can be propped up by her PCS scores. The judges also seem to reward her artistry more so than in the past, so even with a couple of mistakes (at the most- and that includes the possibility of a doubled salchow) she can stay in the top 2.

3. Tuktamysheva. I am aware that Radionova has garnered quite a following already and being the fresh face will put enormous pressure on her. She can even shock us and steal the gold, but as ugly and horrendous Tuk's SP this year, if she pulls off the technical in both programs, it should be enough. I wish she would drop the Biellman and work on a wonderful layback instead, but you never know what Mishin thinks. I've not completely lost faith on Tuk but her campaign for the Olympic season can start or end here.

LRK

Record Breaker
I would predict that this is how it would go:

1. Wagner- home ice + her record of usually starting strong should suffice. However, I will keep in mind her late coaching change and see how it affects her skating. Remember, Asada's first outing after joining forces with Arutunian wasn't all that great. It got better by the time Worlds came around (but then that may be more Asada's tendency to burn slowly). She 'seems' hungry for it and adamant to prove her critics from Nationals wrong. Going into Olympic season too, I'm pretty certain that she will have her game face on to keep her momentum and keep the judges' trust.

2. Asada- at best I would say Mao will come in second. If she goes conservative and do the way she did last season, she can eke out a win from under Ashley by a point or two, but since she's already said she wants to start the season with the planned difficulty to get her steam going, then chances are she will pop (or double/two-foot) planned 3A and lose points. However, the past season showed that she can be propped up by her PCS scores. The judges also seem to reward her artistry more so than in the past, so even with a couple of mistakes (at the most- and that includes the possibility of a doubled salchow) she can stay in the top 2.

3. Tuktamysheva. I am aware that Radionova has garnered quite a following already and being the fresh face will put enormous pressure on her. She can even shock us and steal the gold, but as ugly and horrendous Tuk's programs are this year, if she pulls off the technical in both programs, it should be enough. I wish she would drop the Biellman and work on a wonderful layback instead, but you never know what Mishin thinks. I've not completely lost faith on Tuk but her campaign for the Olympic season can start or end here.

Plural? I didn't know her FS was "in the public eye" yet, so to speak - are there videos? I ask because, if there are, point me to them, please! (Note: the Estonia SP one I've seen; it's the FS I'm asking about.)

TheCzar

On the Ice
Plural? I didn't know her FS was "in the public eye" yet, so to speak - are there videos? I ask because, if there are, point me to them, please! (Note: the Estonia SP one I've seen; it's the FS I'm asking about.)

oops! Sorry I did mean just the SP. Pardon the typo! :bang:

*edited.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't know. these days, I would assume that the ISU would demand a doctor's note of some sort regarding an illness or injury. If it is either an illness or injury, there's definitely more than enough time to get diagnosed and provide evidence as such.

I'm sure Yuna or Carolina could produce a doctor's note if needed ;)

lantern_bearer

Rinkside
Hmmm..There is the potential for an upset at SA. Remember that for Radionova there will be almost no pressure since she cannot go to the Olympics and all the focus will be on the other Russian ladies. Asada, Wagner and Tukt will be feeling the pressure. If Asada underotates a couple of jumps, Wagner goes down on her 3/3 and Tukt hasn't improved since the end of last season while Radionova throws down a 7 triple program including a 3/3 she could jump ahead (pun intended). She really looked solid at the Russian test skate and I think I read somewhere that in ladies, the reigning world junior champion nearly always to make the senior Grand Prix final the following season. So with that said my prediction is:
1. Radionova
2. Wagner
3.Asada

ForeverFish

Medalist
I think Skate Canada is a much better candidate for prediction and (friendly ;) ) debate, actually.

My thoughts: Kim, Gold, Suzuki

Justification: Yuna almost never arrives at a competition unprepared, and even in a field this tough, she'll be head-and-shoulders above the rest as long as she does what she's capable of. Gracie, after Yuna, is the strongest technician of the bunch -- and she's making strides in her artistry that should see a rise in PCS. Akiko, although without the technical difficulty of the former two, has shown that she's capable of massive scores (see 2013 WTT for proof). However, if either Gracie or Akiko falters, I could see any of Kaetlyn, Julia, or Kiira surging forward to take their places.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yuna wins both GP events-assuming she does two. She wins GPF by 10-15 points. She is unbeatable through Sochi. Everyone else gets run over and intimidated by her Witt like confidence. Ladies sadly ain't gonna be a horse race this Olympics either. Thankfully, Worlds will see the new kids driving the boat in 2014.

Krislite

Medalist
What's with all this silly talk of Yuna or Carolina pulling out of the GPF? It's an Olympic season, people. They both have two GP slots, which they can both easily win. On the other hand, Carolina might withdraw from Europeans and Yuna will almost certainly skip 4CC. But 2013 Worlds + the 2013 GP series sets the stage for the Sochi games. They will both be at the Final barring some awful injury.

cinnamon

On the Ice
I think Radionova beats Liza, and Wagner on home ice beats Asada, in this case. Because Wagner is more determined to show off to the judges than early season Asada.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Skate Amerika:
1)Wagner
2)Radionova
3)Mao

Skate Canada:
1)Kim
2)Gold
3)Julia

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Gracie has issues again with nerves i don't see her perhaps even medaling at SC. It's going to be tough for her to make the GPF with the competition she's facing this season so she needs to be sharp right out of the gate. Ashley on the other hand got the easier GP events.

ForeverFish

Medalist
If Gracie has issues again with nerves i don't see her perhaps even medaling at SC. It's going to be tough for her to make the GPF with the competition she's facing this season so she needs to be sharp right out of the gate. Ashley on the other hand got the easier GP events.

Then again, that's true for almost everyone at SC -- Gracie, Akiko, Julia, Kaetlyn, Kiira, etc. It's a crazy-tough field, so they'll ALL have to hit the ground running. No ifs, ands, or buts. Yuna is the only lady consistent enough to put down two clean (or mostly clean) performances; even with jump mistakes, she's so far ahead of everyone else that she's almost guaranteed a spot on the podium.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think Skate Canada is a much better candidate for prediction and (friendly ;) ) debate, actually.

My thoughts: Kim, Gold, Suzuki

Justification: Yuna almost never arrives at a competition unprepared, and even in a field this tough, she'll be head-and-shoulders above the rest as long as she does what she's capable of. Gracie, after Yuna, is the strongest technician of the bunch -- and she's making strides in her artistry that should see a rise in PCS. Akiko, although without the technical difficulty of the former two, has shown that she's capable of massive scores (see 2013 WTT for proof). However, if either Gracie or Akiko falters, I could see any of Kaetlyn, Julia, or Kiira surging forward to take their places.

Kim will win easily. However wow it is a deep field and there are 5 or 6 fighting for 2nd or 3rd place, and for all it is vital importance to their grand prix final hopes. This is definitely the toughest assignment on the grand prix.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Then again, that's true for almost everyone at SC -- Gracie, Akiko, Julia, Kaetlyn, Kiira, etc. It's a crazy-tough field, so they'll ALL have to hit the ground running. No ifs, ands, or buts. Yuna is the only lady consistent enough to put down two clean (or mostly clean) performances; even with jump mistakes, she's so far ahead of everyone else that she's almost guaranteed a spot on the podium.

There's no way Yu-Na won't win. She would have to sit down on half of her jumps to miss the podium. If Carolina or Mao were there it'd be different; but she is so far beyond the league of the other SC competitors, it's almost pointless to have the competition. It sounds silly/sarcastic but I swear it's the truth! lol!

Gracie will have 10 times as much pressure on her this season. She really isn't going to get an adjustment period: last year was her debut season complete with oodles of hype and pressure, and now this season is more pressure and expectation ("she'll unseat Ashley as the US #1 this season!") in addition to the insane pressure of competing in an Olympic year.

I wouldn't count Kiira out of the mix here, especially if Gracie is still jittery and makes errors. Kiira has a 3-3 as well as great PCS...she could be a potential upset to everyone's predictions. A solid performance from her could sneak onto the podium.

I'd like to see it:

1. Yu-Na
2. Akiko
3. Gracie/Julia

Gracie controls her own fate here. If she's decent, that silver will be hers. If she has a repeat of SC from last season, the best she can hope for is 5th.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Carolina or Mao were there it'd be different

Then again Kostner hasnt beaten Kim since 2008, and Mao hasnt beaten her since 2010, and neither are early season skaters, so probably not that different at all in fact, lol! The earliest point Kim will even be under remote pressure from a competitor is the grand prix final.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Then again Kostner hasnt beaten Kim since 2008, and Mao hasnt beaten her since 2010, and neither are early season skaters, so probably not that different at all in fact, lol! The earliest point Kim will even be under remote pressure from a competitor is the grand prix final.

Well Kim hasn't competed between 2011 and 2013, so you can't really say "Mao hasn't beaten her since 2010".
They only had 2 encounters after 2010 worlds IIRC (2011 and 2013 worlds).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well Kim hasn't competed between 2011 and 2013, so you can't really say "Mao hasn't beaten her since 2010".
They only had 2 encounters after 2010 worlds IIRC (2011 and 2013 worlds).

I guess but given that Mao didnt even return to being a top 3 skater again until this past season, I doubt it would have mattered if they met 2 times or 12 in this period.

mary01

Final Flight
I guess but given that Mao didnt even return to being a top 3 skater again until this past season, I doubt it would have mattered if they met 2 times or 12 in this period.

She may not have medalled at the 2011 and 2012 worlds, but she still received some of the highest scores in the sp, fs and overall that were given in both years, and on top of it, she got either Gold or Silver at every event she entered in the 2011-2012 season (except worlds). Her outcome leading up to Worlds made her a favorite for both 2011 and 2012 Worlds.
The number of times skaters meet, always makes a big difference, since different skaters peak at different times during the season.