Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I like it, too! And would be very exciting!

Look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0S8PNixg9E from 7:25 They don't hate each other..
    does that award have anything to do with this website/forum?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I still feel it could be interpreted that he is talking about his chance to make Americans, but I could of course be wrong. With your explanation, to me it now makes sense both ways. The reality is that the international field is currently very strong, and the American field is relatively weak, so Lysacek has a decent chance to do well on the American team while still having not much chance of excelling at the Olympics. If Plushenko is really physically ready for the Olympics, that makes at least--hmmm; five people ahead of Lysacek at his best. Even without Plushy, there are still Takahashi, Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez, maybe others.

It would still be a significant achievement if Lysacek could at least get himself to the Games (meaning that he was one of America's top two) and make it into the top five or six in Sochi. With his ability to skate for points, he might not need a quad to attain a standing like that. All this is speculation, of course, and keep in mind that I'm no kind of expert on technical details.
    I really think he was talking about the Olympics and worldwide competition but the context can lead to differences in interpretation.

Top five with no quad would be mind boggling! I am thinking all level 4 non jump elements backloading of all jumps-nothing not in the bonus and like 9.5 all pcs.

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Something that struck me in the article was this:

"He's recovering from his injuries and his surgeries which were a lot more extensive than a lot of people know. It's getting better and better but he is in pain and he has to be very careful with how much he does. I don't know in figure skating if someone has tried to come back from that level of injury."

I'm curious as to this assertion by Mr Carroll (specifically the part I've underlined - not the former part, which I've merely quoted for context). Thoughts?
    I think of hongbo zhaos ruptured Achilles as something that really might have been the worst thing anyone came back from! Based on all previously published reports there's nothing lysacek has dealt with that is rare.

Custom Title
    Not to mention Plushenko and his back surgery! Though he hasn't come back completely yet, he seems to have done a few jumps. And Takahashi's rebounding from the knee injury is pretty marvelous.

Definitely Hongbo Zhao is a shining example of a comeback that was just about impossible.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I think of hongbo zhaos ruptured Achilles as something that really might have been the worst thing anyone came back from! Based on all previously published reports there's nothing lysacek has dealt with that is rare.
    Surya came back after the same injury as Hongbo, but her jumps were much worse as she lost her 3F and 3Z. I cannot image a male skater successfully coming back after a worse injury than that.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Evan did quads in practice at Sun Valley. However, he did not include quads in the two programs that he skated in the 'Sun Valley on Ice' show.
    IMO, Evan is someone who plans well and very determined (much like Plushenko). It is likely he has a quad to show. Not including the quads in a show program is understandable. Why pound your body unncessarily if it's not required?

Banned
    I wouldnt be one bit surprised if none of Chan, Lysacek, or Plushenko are on the podium in Sochi. In fact I will be extremely surprised if either Plushenko or Lysacek are on the Sochi podium, and not one bit surprised if neither of them are even at the Games period. Chan is the only one of those three who is a real contender but I could see him coming anywhere from 1st to 5th at this point (I have a feeling it will be 3rd or 4th though).

Custom Title
    Wonderful chatter. Evan has that Katarina Witt thing going on in some ways. You wonder how he won - oh no here comes the defenders and attackers lol, with no quad in Vancouver and really not the skating skills or style of Lambiel, Chan or even a Buttle who though not in Vancouver you get the idea. Evan is a good competitor and somehow things go his way so he might get a bit of luck and win nationals or second. His quads are like alot of skaters and we are afraid to say it but all talk but can they do it when it counts. Chan, Fernandez and Reynolds (maybe Plushy if he heals in time) are probably the most consistent but even they make mistakes. Next Joubert, Takahashi, Kozuka, hanyu are fairly solid but Evan has yet to show he has the mettle. It might be best if he tries to make the US team and pull s out or fades into the darkness. I really would like Chan, Takahasi and Hanyu or Fernandez or heck Max or Reynolds to have thier moment in the sun on the podium. But Evan is a figher and Evan is able to seize the day when it counts and Evan is Evan - lucky and seems to skate well enough to do what needs to be done. Don't count him out.

Banned
    well, he'll have to make it through nationals first, lol
    with Max, Dornbush, Farris, even Abbott will be ahead of him

Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    does that award have anything to do with this website/forum?
    Nothing. But I'm sure many people think if they will be contenders again, then they will be enemies. Seems it isn't true.

Banned
    getting into top 6 with the contenders he has, no way unless others implode of course
    he may think he is seeking redemption but Aaron is the No.1 American
    his chances of making the team is almost the same as Wier

boring quadless Evan can try a quad but at least we'll get to see a rear view form him with that, lol

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Something that struck me in the article was this:

"He's recovering from his injuries and his surgeries which were a lot more extensive than a lot of people know. It's getting better and better but he is in pain and he has to be very careful with how much he does. I don't know in figure skating if someone has tried to come back from that level of injury."

I'm curious as to this assertion by Mr Carroll (specifically the part I've underlined - not the former part, which I've merely quoted for context). Thoughts?
    Not to be cynical or pessimistic but maybe training hasn't been going that well so he's putting that out there as an excuse should Evan fail. I don't doubt that he's in pain though. As seen in the past the stress of quad training is too much for his body to handle, probably due to his size and tendency to overtrain. No intended disrespect to Mr. Carroll, but I feel that sometimes his comments need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Custom Title
    Yeah Evan might compete at SkAm for the hell of it, but I doubt he does well and if that's the case he won't be at Nationals. Max can muscle his way through any jump and can do two different quads, Joshua already has youth on his side and pristine technique with +2 3a and 3a-3t and is capable of beautiful 4t (maybe now in combo), even with URs Adam's 4lz is worth tons of points and his spins are stronger than Evan, Jason is decent jump wise but also has youth on his side and is exceptional in everything else - no way Evan can match his spin and step GOE (at least, he shouldn't), Richard can do 4s and 4t now and like Joshua his 3a is way stronger than Evan, Ross and Jeremy are more questionable but Ross has likely worked on his technique and his 3a is better than Evan's at least, Jeremy's is a lot better and he's the sentimental favorite so Evan would likely have a hard time beating those 2 healthy even and there are more guys that are dangerous than them, like Messing if he ever skates anywhere close to clean will have huge scores. I think Evan is just up against too much to have a real shot at making a team with 2 spots after 3 years of not competing and coming back from an injury. Plus he's getting old. 27 year old body's don't deal with the wear and tear so well as an 18 year old, even at Nationals, commentators were saying how it's fun to watch the younger guys practice (Joshua was the example but they also may have mentioned Jason, Keegan, maybe Max) because they have a lot of energy and youthful exuberance.

Custom Title
    Evan is actually 28 now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Evan is actually 28 now.
    And he is one day older than Jeremy Abbott. Therefore, I get a good laugh every time someone says Evan is too old to compete, but does not say that Jeremy is too old to compete.

I can't remember, was Plushenko 27 or 28 in Vancouver?

Banned
    He'll have to beat Aaaron, Dornbush, Miner and Abbott
    and I expect Farris to competitive in his senior debut
    Wier and quadless Lysacek are on the same boat, I doubt both will even show up in competition
    Evan should just go to broadway, he'll embarass himself finishing 6-10th at Nationals

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast