Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Custom Title
    we all have our favourites. I wonder if Pang and tong might have won Vancouver OGM - some say they should have won but iroically they are like the team that beat them - really wanted ogm and came back just for gold. I do think V and T or S squared are the the teams to beat. You kind of have to cheer for Kavaguti and Smirnov who sort of have fallen off the radar. pang and Tong have an olympic medal already I would ilke to see someone else like the Canadians or K and S get an OBM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    we all have our favourites. I wonder if Pang and tong might have won Vancouver OGM - some say they should have won but iroically they are like the team that beat them - really wanted ogm and came back just for gold. I do think V and T or S squared are the the teams to beat. You kind of have to cheer for Kavaguti and Smirnov who sort of have fallen off the radar. pang and Tong have an olympic medal already I would ilke to see someone else like the Canadians or K and S get an OBM.
    P/T winning gold is arguable but they were outskated by S/Z (even if they did skate clean) in the SP, and in the LP, Shen and Zhao's botched lift wasn't enough to make up the deficit. P/T have been a solid, lovely pair but they're not particularly exciting or have that connection that I look for in memorable pairs teams. Also, I'd be a bit surprised if they won bronze in Sochi... they've been steadily on the decline due to injuries and general wear and tear.

I predict they'll essentially mirror what Lambiel was Vancouver... former World champion, on the decline, essentially having to compete so that their federation gets a good result, and probably skates decently for a respectable placement but not strong enough to make the podium.

Custom Title
    Oh yeah, I forgot the federation. I really wish P and T would be able to retire and skate in shows. The injuries seem to have caught up to them and my ìllogical side says it is time to let someone else have the Olympic glory but I do understand the drive for OGM or even a medal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot the federation. I really wish P and T would be able to retire and skate in shows. The injuries seem to have caught up to them and my ìllogical side says it is time to let someone else have the Olympic glory but I do understand the drive for OGM or even a medal.
    Yup, and I do want them there, even though a lot of people hate on them. They'll make the bronze fight actually interesting, and they're still one of the best teams in the world, and of course China's best shot at an Olympic medal.

Custom Title
    The big question is who will be the next great Chinese Pair. Sui & Han already seem to be faltering, and if she grows anymore their partnership will probably be over. Peng & Zhang they have high hopes for I keep hearing, but he will be 33 by the 2018 Olympics.

Custom Title
    TANGENT ALERT!!!

And the relationship that the Chinese pairs have to Evan ... is ...?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GGoldberg View Post
    TANGENT ALERT!!!

And the relationship that the Chinese pairs have to Evan ... is ...?
    They both are starting to wilt, they both are getting older with injuries and they both are getting a bit stale and could do with a new coat of paint and then some.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Very substantive Associated Press story (Oct 12) with fascinating quotes from Lysacek about why he still wants to compete and about how he mentally has been "letting go" of his Vancouver gold:

Time is currently Lysacek's biggest competition
    By Nancy Armour
    Oct. 12, 2013 12:01 AM EDT
    http://summergames.ap.org/article/ti...st-competition

Custom Title
    Evan discusses injuries, etc.,...

http://watch.accesshollywood.com/vid.../2744064309001

Custom Title
    I am not sure it really answered a lot at all. I'd like to know just how injured is he - truly and when can he get back to training and what jumps can he do now four months away from sochi?

Not sure whether this Hersh story from yesterday is news.
    US Figure Skating is imposing an earlier deadline -- before Nationals -- on Lysacek than what the ISU would require.

Clock ticking on Lysacek comeback
    Reigning Olympic champion needs qualifying score for Sochi

By Philip Hersh, Tribune reporter
    2:45 p.m. CST, November 13, 2013
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3491745.story

Excerpt:

Evan Lysacek is running out of time to get the minimum qualifying scores he needs to be eligible for the 2014 Olympics.

U.S. Figure Skating spokeswoman Renee Felton said Wednesday the reigning men’s figure skating champion must get those marks before the U.S. Championships, at which the senior events begin Jan. 9 in Boston.

Felton added that Lysacek is eligible to compete in Boston but cannot be considered for the Olympic team without having achieved the qualifying scores. USFS will announce the Olympic team Jan. 12 and forward the names Jan. 14 to the U.S. Olympic Committee for its signoff. ....

"Evan is back training and talking to USFS about what event to enter," his agent, Shep Goldberg, said Wednesday. "The bigger question is whether he could be in the best possible shape to represent the U.S. at the Olympics."

just call me K or Art jockey
    Is there even an international event left in that time frame for which the official entry deadline hasn't passed yet? Winter Universiade as a last resort?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ really happy to see you here
    There are some B events in Europe I see but i dont know which holds competition for singles men. There must be one at least, the Golden Spin?

Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    Is there even an international event left in that time frame for which the official entry deadline hasn't passed yet? Winter Universiade as a last resort?
    The full Hersh article at the link above has the answer to your question. It explains Lysacek's event options.

Custom Title
    I am wondering if this is becoming an "Oh dear, the USFSA were sooooo inflexible with me and I wasn't fit enough for them" type storyline...

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast