Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Thread: Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

This event was the "Best of the U.S." Olympic awards, sponsored by the USOC. It was taped Wednesday and will be shown on NBC Sports Network next Monday, 7-8 U.S. Eastern time. There were four awards for Olympic athletes and four for Paralympions. Davis and White won best team. Michelle Kwan and Lysacek were presenters; Johnny and Tara worked the Red Carpet and backstage.

Kori Ade won a special "Building Dreams Award" for extraordinary dedication to supporting Olympic athletes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    It wasn't for Jason Brown, but obviously that's a special case. Takahashi is also an exception, who still occasionally placed high even when his quad failed him.
    It depends what people mean by a 'death sentence'. You can still qualify at Nationals without a consistent one, but it's hard to get to the World podium without one. Perhaps that's what the person above meant. Neither Brown nor Takahashi got the Olympic or World podium this year.

Rinkside
    A torn labrum never heals on its own. (Google it read about it if you're not familiar with the injury.) Funny how the article says Evan's has healed.

Welcome, BetsyK. Thanks for joining us!

I think some minor tears can be treated without arthroscopic surgery, by physical therapy. From what I understand, the goal, with or without surgery, is to be able to live a normal life without pain. Returning to a vigorous, joint-pounding sport like figure skating -- to me, that would seem to be out of the question if the tear is severe.

Michelle Kwan wrote, about trying to skate with a similar injury, that strangely enough sometimes it was possible for her to go out on the ice and run through a full practice. It was afterward that that pain kept her up all night.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    It depends what people mean by a 'death sentence'. You can still qualify at Nationals without a consistent one, but it's hard to get to the World podium without one. Perhaps that's what the person above meant. Neither Brown nor Takahashi got the Olympic or World podium this year.
    True. Although Brown did get to compete in the Olympics and has a bronze from the team event, which is a great boost to start a hopefully illustrious career!

Banned
    Personally, I'm glad Evan didn't compete in Sochi. Sure, he's a good technical skater and obviously trains his butt off. However, has there ever been a men's skater who has looked as awkward/funky/silly without trying to? So you have shticky skaters like Phillipe Candeloro who are consciously putting on a corny performance, and it sort of works because you know that's his thing and he's working it. With Evan, he wasn't working on anything aside from being technically perfect but in the process of skating, all of his gestures, body language, high kicks, etc. just looked weird and, for a guy who is so intent on asserting his straightness, very, very gay. Now there's no value judgment there...it's just strange that he looked so much more effeminate and awkwardly packaged than pretty much all of his peers. I definitely did not miss sitting through an Evan Lysacek unintentionally awkward-looking skate. Those triple axels can only compensate for so much.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinglow View Post
    Those triple axels can only compensate for so much.
    Not sure what you mean by his triple axels compensating for--because his triple axel technique is awful and I for one do not miss his triples axels at all. I am quite happy watching Yuzuru's and Han's triple axels instead, thank you very much!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Not sure what you mean by his triple axels compensating for--because his triple axel technique is awful and I for one do not miss his triples axels at all. I am quite happy watching Yuzuru's and Han's triple axels instead, thank you very much!
    I suppose in comparison with his PCS, the triple axels looked decent. But you're right...his technique on them wasn't great.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32