Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yes that field of us nationals young people looks impressive!

To be sarcastic and quote others "because lysacek works hardest!" lol Rolleyes

hey he trains hard for his scratchy 3A. :laugh:
I doubt Lysaeck would even jump a quad in an actual competition anyways

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I assume lysacek would try to attempt what wins but doubt his execution would be successful! And if he tried 2010 all over again that would be totally lol!!!

he said his biggest advantage is experience
so maybe he will jump the same content in 2010 at nationals a bit embarassing afterwards, lol

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
To be sarcastic and quote others "because lysacek works hardest!" lol Rolleyes
I can picture it now. Scott Hamilton will be UNBEARABLE if Evan has even a halfway decent skate at Nationals. I don't buy the "no one works harder" thing. Evan works very hard, yes, but so do plenty of other skaters. Scott is just an American rooting for an American. If Evan were Canadian, I wonder if Scott would still say that? Incidentally, the Canadian commentators don't constantly harp on Chan's work ethic and I prefer it that way. Even though I'm an American, I heartily dislike American skating commentating at the moment.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
he said his biggest advantage is experience
so maybe he will jump the same content in 2010 at nationals a bit embarassing afterwards, lol

The other thing is, Evan and Jeremy seem to want this last chance at Olympic Glory so badly, that working so hard might bite them in the butt, in other words, they'll work so hard trying to land those darn quads that they end up re-injuring their aging bodies. So this is one situation where working extremely hard may not even help Evan or Jeremy, it actually is a risky situation, they probably need to be really careful about their training, not doing too many reps of the jumps that have triggered their injuries in the past, but at the same time doing enough to be prepared to land the jumps when it matters in competition. This is why I feel better about Max, and would like to see Dornbush or Farris (or someone else young and healthy) join him. Also if one of the younger guys makes the team and chokes, at least it would be a valuable learning experience, whereas if Abbott goes and chokes again, it's sad and not a good note to go out on, and for Evan anything less than gold, or even less than 4th, is a big letdown considering he was 4th 8 years ago, and for him to place 4th or higher in this field is basically a pipe dream.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I think Evan will come back, and I think he has a good a chance as anyone to get a bronze, assuming that Patrick and Daisuke are expected on the podium. He's consistent and usually clean, and if he ekes out a even a messy underrotated quad and skates clean otherwise, he'll be in the mix. Not a lock on a medal by any means, but its within the realm of possibility. The judges obviously like him.

If he's not injured, it will be him and Max at the Olympics, I think. The most likely scenario is that they'll both be around 6-8 or so, but who knows. Anything can happen!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I could see him come 2nd at Nationals to Aaron and go to the Olympics and finish about 12th which would be a real shame as (unless it is Abbott who makes it, which would still be more deserving than Evan who hasnt even skated this quad) it would in place of a skater whose only chance to be at the Olympics is this one (eg- Miner, Rippon, maybe Dornbush) or a skater who could use the valuable experience (Josh or Jason, maybe Dornbush) and would also probably have finished about 12th. Basically whoever is the 2nd U.S man (and I dont think Aaron is a lock by any means either, but him remaining the U.S #1 and going to the Games is the most likely scenario for now) will finish about 12th anyway, give or take a couple spots, I imagine.

I agree. And I don't really resent Evan, though I will admit I don't understand why he wants to come back, he's already done well at the Olympics twice, with Jeremy it at least makes a little more sense because he wants to redeem himself after Vancouver, and has been competing this quad. I more just am a little irked that Lysacek can take 3 years off and then be allowed to waltz back into competition, being given coveted international assignments and be considered for an Olympic spot on the basis of a few competitions as a history, rather than the other men who have been competing the past 3 years and their results in competitions over the past 3 years will likely come into consideration when Nationals results and the Olympic team are determined. Idk it just seems like a shortcut and I don't like that.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Doubt that would happen even then. It would be a minor surprise, but it wouldnt show he was in strong conention for an Olympic medal. The U.S doesnt have anyone who would even be in the top 7 or 8 contenders right now (Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu, Takahashi, Reynolds, Ten, and possibly even Kozuka and Plushenko are all above Aaron as Olympic contenders right now).

Max was seventh at Worlds, though, and he's still improving. Plus, I wouldn't rank Denis so high until we see what state he's in next season; Carroll mentioned in the Lysacek article that Denis' quad still isn't consistent. Realistically, the current standing looks more like: Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu, Takahashi, Reynolds, Aaron, Kozuka, and Ten, with Plushenko such a wildcard that he's impossible to predict.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some of my favorite contributors are posting nonsense.

No one is more deserving of a National Championship, or an Olympic spot, or an Olympic medal than the person who goes out on the ice when it counts and delivers the goods.

If Evan wants to make another run at Olympic glory, he's at least as deserving as someone who went before and bombed. If the other skaters, be they veterans in search of redemption or young guns, lose "their" spot to Evan, then it's because they weren't ready to beat him. And if they couldn't beat Evan, how are they going to beat the medal favorites? This is real sport, not a youth soccer league where everyone gets a participation trophy and goes home feeling like a winner.

Whether Evan will make good on this attempt... who knows. But I'm somewhat hoping that he does.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am admitting my bias. I don't wish Evan badly and I know he has injuries although at the same time a lot of people wondered how genuine was his return? Why risk your Olympic gold reputation and end up say missing even the US team? No one knows the real truth other than Evan. But endorsement wise he must not be getting as much or doing as well and felt he had nothing to lose as to his Q rating and all. Sure we could say it was for he johy of skating but deep down a lot of us wonder wil he even compete as he has claimed all sorts of things for the last couple of years. I also believe sadly Chan, Takahashi, Hanyu, Fernandez, Kozuku et al while th eleaders are prone to the Oly jinx or disaster ala Kurt Browning. I wonder if Evan has any sponsors or support ie. Vera Wang? I do miss his fake and bake tan and skating is so boring without him and Johnny egging each other on. Their catfights helped raise the entertainment value of skating lol.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think Evan will come back, and I think he has a good a chance as anyone to get a bronze, assuming that Patrick and Daisuke are expected on the podium. He's consistent and usually clean, and if he ekes out a even a messy underrotated quad and skates clean otherwise, he'll be in the mix. Not a lock on a medal by any means, but its within the realm of possibility. The judges obviously like him.

yes because Im sure eeking out even just one UR quad will eek him on the pedestal :rolleye:
his shock will shave even his fake tan, his comeback attempts are leveling with Wiers, delusional and borderline lunatic

his chance of even competing at nationals is almost zero yet alone winning nationals, lol

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I believe Evan knows what he is doing. If he wants to come back, he has real quad and everything else.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay what "evidence" is there Evan has a quad? So many people say they have are adding the quad but whether they can do it in competition is another thing. The stats would say a lot because probably in competition for example Verner is under 50%. Likewise Takahashi is under 50% too I thiink or just leaves it out.How many are 70% or more???? would there be more than 5 skaters? does anyone think Sarah Hughes or Maria Butyrskaya when they won their major titles really skated like that regularly. Michelle ka was on e of the few skaters to be that consistent. Not even Slutskaya with her jumps was that consistent (in a good way). I think in some ways if Evan was truly serious about his comeback he should have started this earlier especially since one wonders if he will end up like Sasha and then really out of time.And I really think Evan's injuries are nothing compared to Plushy's that being said I do think Evan has a good chance at making he US team. Max Aaron is still "developing" and like Osmond could back slide a bit thisyear. His skating is not that "impressive" ie his jumps or artistry. Rippon, Dornbush, Farris, Brown, inconsistent ABbott et al have inconsistent quads and in some cases triple axels. Who is literally lucky to land on his feet the most will have the best shot to make the two man team that includes Evan and Max and whoever else I missed.

LRK

Record Breaker
Wait, did I miss something? How is Osmond "back-sliding"?

I think it's by the "evidence" of those early videos... People so often seem to have the very last they've seen of a skater in mind - and that's how that skater will skate during the entire upcoming season - or sometimes for the future! If they skate well they're contenders for a World gold at the least - and if they skate ill, they're done for. Or at least "back-sliding". You know how it is.... ;)

ForeverFish

Medalist
I think it's by the "evidence" of those early videos... People so often seem to have the very last they've seen of a skater in mind - and that's how that skater will skate during the entire upcoming season - or sometimes for the future! If they skate well they're contenders for a World gold at the least - and if they skate ill, they're done for. Or at least "back-sliding". You know how it is.... ;)

Ah, yes. The logically sound, perfectly reasonable concept of the career-ending local competition. :laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Doubt that would happen even then. It would be a minor surprise, but it wouldnt show he was in strong conention for an Olympic medal. The U.S doesnt have anyone who would even be in the top 7 or 8 contenders right now (Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu, Takahashi, Reynolds, Ten, and possibly even Kozuka and Plushenko are all above Aaron as Olympic contenders right now).

Is Max clearly ahead of Verner, Joubert, Brezina and Amodio?