Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am so surprised. Surprised, shocked, distressed.

The only surprise here is that it's actually not the week before SkAm.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
I am so surprised. Surprised, shocked, distressed.

The only surprise here is that it's actually not the week before SkAm.

The timing of the USOC Media Summit - going on now in Park City - likely drove the necessity of making an announcement. Otherwise, he would have been in the position of needing to provide misleading responses that would have only backfired on him if he withdrew just 2 weeks later.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
The timing of the USOC Media Summit - going on now in Park City - likely drove the necessity of making an announcement. Otherwise, he would have been in the position of needing to provide misleading responses that would have only backfired on him if he withdrew just 2 weeks later.

I think that the timing of the announcement is due to the MRI test result that he got last Thursday, which revealed the torn labrum in his left hip. With the torn labrum, there is no way he could be physically ready to compete at Skate America. Lysacek had been off the ice one month due to a slight abdominal tear, and had returned to the ice in hopes of being ready to compete at SA. However, what little chance he had ended with the labrum tear.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Just like I predicted when his "comeback" was first announced he was never going to actually follow through and compete. This was just about keeping his names in the news before he becomes completely irrelevant for good after the Sochi Olympics. He will not announce the end of his comeback until right before Nationals where he will WD last minute, to milk every last ounce of publicity he can though. I am not criticizing him btw, from a financial standpoint it is very smart on his behalf. Competing where he would place very poorly in todays field (healthy or not) would be the only mistake.

And I assume that you believe that part of Evan's charade was to undergo surgery last year in an attempt to "just keep his name out there" and "milk every little bit of publicity" that he can. :rolleye: Evan may not be able to compete again; however, it will not be because of a lack of desire or lack of effort on his part.

noskates

Record Breaker
Just like I predicted when his "comeback" was first announced he was never going to actually follow through and compete. This was just about keeping his names in the news before he becomes completely irrelevant for good after the Sochi Olympics. He will not announce the end of his comeback until right before Nationals where he will WD last minute, to milk every last ounce of publicity he can though. I am not criticizing him btw, from a financial standpoint it is very smart on his behalf. Competing where he would place very poorly in todays field (healthy or not) would be the only mistake.

Alot of skaters have desire and want to win - doesn't mean they can pull it off. I never for one nanosecond felt that we would see Evan at Nationals. And I agree with pangtongfan that keeping "the dream" alive was probably pretty financially beneficial to him. I've said this many times (probably in this thread even) that Evan should just wear his gold medal proudly and be happy he attained that level in his sport - not besmirch it with a less than perfect performance, which was very, very unlikely at his age and with the lack of competition in the last few years.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's a pretty obvious answer to this that has nothing to do with conspiracy.

Imagine if you're an elite athlete. You've experienced the very apex of your sport, an Olympic Gold Medal. It must be the most thrilling moment.

Surely, you'd like to experience that again, or at least to have the opportunity to be in the chase.

Whether Evan can actually pull off the impossible dream or not, I don't doubt his motives.

For the record, I don't think he'll make it, but I also don't begrudge him the chance to strive.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
omg, shocking :rolleye:

next thing is to pull out at nationals
lyacek is a joke

Well, if he does, he does. He's still the reigning Olympic gold medalist. Maybe hard for you to swallow, but hardly a joke.

As far as a skater's comeback is concerned, there is certainly the potential to back out. They don't owe it to anyone to compete or to prove people wrong. Two things can happen: the first, more rare option, is that the skater actually comes back (see Shen/Zhao, Kim) after a hiatus and has still maintained their ability and are also fortunate that the rest of the field hasn't progressed; the second, is that the skater comes back, and unfortunately for them, they don't posses their former ability and/or the field has become too strong.

Clearly Evan is in the second boat, and whether or not his ability returned or whether he was injured, the main factor deterring him from a comeback is that the men's field has progressed considerably. I know last year's Worlds were a disaster, but aside from that, the men have really upped their difficulty and standards. Evan wouldn't have been able to get away with his 2010 skate in Sochi, but I'd rather he rest up and takes care of his health than risk injuring himself or compete while unprepared just so people can be like "I told you so, what a surprise".

It's hilarious/ridiculous that people here are like "Evan pulled out! just like I predicted!", as if we all weren't aware that his comeback chances were slim to begin with. :rolleye:

deedee1

Record Breaker
So sorry to hear about Evan's injury. Labrum torn does sound a serious injury...:no: Sincerely hope he gets first-class medicare (which he will I have no doubt) and rests enough as much as needed, so that he recovers completely.

As for replacement of Evan at SA, this site has been updated indicating it will be Jason Brown, hoping it's true! :): http://deep-edge.net/list.php?s=2013&no=1

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Maybe Evan should give up now... He can always be proud of his OG and of the fact he tried to come back to defend his title, but apparently it was not meant to be, unfortunately.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
As CanadianSkaterG said, Sky-fly, it's Not a Joke. He won the OGM in 2010! You don't like him but you have to live with it.:)

well he won OGM in Vancouver didn't he ? he won that and nothing could change that
I was talking about his comeback as a joke, his chance of even going to a competitive event is almost 0%

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Evan cannot compete in Sochi with a torn labrum. He needs surgery, and with surgery HE CANNOT COMPETE IN SOCHI. It's over, Evan. Time to go on to the next stage in life.

Well, not all labral tears require surgery. Apparently he's opted for PT and they've specified it's his left hip, not his landing side unlike Alissa Czisny. Also, since he doesn't need to regain extreme mobility e.g. Alissa and her Beillmann, I guess there's a greater chance that he can work through it. Although who knows how his axel, toe loop and salchow take-offs will be affected. Combined with the abdominal tear and other chronic ailments that he might not be disclosing, it's still highly unlikely that he'll have any chance of making the Olympic team even if he does manage to drag himself into nationals somehow. I do feel bad for him though. At first I was cynical about his comeback as well, but it does seem sincere now.

Icey

Record Breaker
Evan cannot compete in Sochi with a torn labrum. He needs surgery, and with surgery HE CANNOT COMPETE IN SOCHI. It's over, Evan. Time to go on to the next stage in life.

It depends on the extent of his tear. According to the Mayo Clinic site some tears heal in a few weeks with conservative treatment. All tears do not require surgery either.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is there any film of what skating Evan did at Champs' Camp?

No film was allowed at Champs Camp.

I guess I just don't trust Lysacek to wait out the period that the doctors specify, or to ease back into things. He never has before. It will not surprise me in the least when he withdraws from Nationals with another or a flare-up of the same injury.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Call it what you want but it has panned out exactly as I predicted 2 years ago. The matter of fact is I am pretty much right on everything I have ever predicted. You might not be familiar with me but here is a rundown of my correct predictions in the last few years since I joined this forum:

1. I predicted before the 2010 Olympics Evan would win gold, despite not being a fan of his. Most people said I was crazy, as despite being reigning World Champion he wasnt seen as favorite. I was right.

2. I predicted after Skate Canada 2010 the writing was already on the wall for mens skating the next few years, if not the whole quad, and even if Chan fell 4 or 5 times repeatedly and others skated cleanly he would win practically every event. People said I was being a pesstimistic and exagerrating. In fact I was exactly right and am constantly told on this particular issue "you called it".

3. I predicted in December 2010 that despite her complete lack of artistry and style, and that she wasnt even the jumper she used to be, Miki Ando would by default win her 2nd World title due to the lack of competition, the momentum she was gaining resulting in generous scores, and that Kim would not be fully sharp with Worlds her first event of the season (unlike her 3rd like this past season after a longer layoff). People crowed I was wrong, Kim would come back and easily win, or Czisny was going to win. Once again I was right. Note that this and example #1 show I make positive predictions against the grain even for skaters I dont care for, so unlike most my predictions and assessments are 100% based on realism, not bias and emotions like many others.

4. I predicted after the 2011 Worlds that Savchenko & Szolkowy would remain fierce rivals of Volosozhar & Trankov for the next 2 seasons, when others on this board would predicting they would pull away instantly and dominate. I was right, they have split their meetings 2-2, World titles 1-1, Grand Prix final titles 1-1, and a clean V&T lost to flawed in both programs S&S at the 11/12 season Grand Prix final to boot.

I am now predicting the likely end of this rivalry period, and V&T pulling away to dominate this season and in future seasons, as others are doing so this isnt going out on a limb I concede, but it still doesnt change I was right on the previous 2 seasons, and V&T did not immediately pull away to dominance as others predicted, and in fact were still chasing S&S to the point even a perfect V&T couldnt beat a badly off S&S for awhile (again 2011/2012 GPF example).

5. I predicted Davis & White would take the upper hand in the rivalry with Virtue & Moir this season despite being Canadian and a far bigger V&M fan than D&W. I was right.

6. I predicted Pechalat & Bourzat had their moment in the sun with their home ice career achievement bronze at the 2012 Worlds, and would slide drastically at this years Worlds. Others called me a hater (I actually like P&B) and crazy. Lo and behold 6th place at Worlds, about what I foresaw.

7. I predicted unlike my 2011 predictions that Kim would come back better prepared this time and dominate, win the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics easily. Others were more pesstimistic and said it would be hard for Kim to compete against a so called better than ever Kostner, a revived Asada, all the up and comers. Well so far so good, and likely will continue to be as I called.

8. I predicted that Flatt's 2011 Worlds and her very foolish decision to skate injured rather than WD gracefully, was the end of her completely. Others called me a Flatt hater (again which I am not, a concede to not liking some skaters like Ando and Lysacek, but never had a problem with Flatt) but it turns out like always I was just calling things as they were.

I also predicted right after Nationals 2011 the judges had made a huge mistake placing her above Nagasu with basically equal performances, and would regret it in a big way come Worlds. Check again.

I could on quite awhile longer but you get the idea. As usual my forecast of Evan's comeback from two years ago (he would ultimately probably not even make it to another competition, never mind be competitive) was once again right.

My predictions for this season (which given my history those of you with differing hopes might as well resign yourself to now, as I always end up right on something I feel strongly enough to declare):

1. Despite my thus far perfect prediction of Chan and his 5+ fall margin over the field which has made him the most controversial and hated skating champion in history bar none, his luck has run out, and he will end his career with a 3rd or 4th place finish in Sochi.

2. Weaver & Poje (I even started a thread about this a few months ago) are going to have their best year yet, win the bronze in Sochi and the GPF, win their first ever grand prix assignment, and win a medal at Worlds.

3. Volosozhar & Trankov will not only win everything (admitedly an all too easy prediction) but gain the respect from fans they have not yet gotten in the process. They will also change their mind on their current plans to retire post Sochi and will continue on, despite the OGM.

4. Kim will easily win her 2nd OGM (and no this is not a safe prediction, as there are alot of Asada, Kostner, and Gold homers who seem certain said skater will win instead).

5. Wagner will win a medal at atleast one of the Olympics and Worlds.

6. Ando's comeback will go nowhere, and she will not make the Japanese Olympic team.

Feel free to bump if I even get a single of these wrong. As usual I wont.

:laugh: If you pat yourself on the back any harder, you'd leave a hole in it. To what address should we mail your reward cookie and your big, gold star? :agree:

(Pay no attention to pangtongfan's long-winded, self-aggrandizing introductory shpiel, SkateFan66. He just really wants to be loved, that's all.)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also, Chan's never won a competition with 5+ falls. So you were already wrong before you even finished your post. We'll still send you the cookie, though, just for playing. ;)