Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I do believe Evan wanted to come back, but I also think that he needs "an out" at this point. Injury *should* be enough, but it seems his pride (rightly or wrongly) cannot allow an injury to be reason enough not to go through with the plan. I get that he wants to go again. I get that he's not that old (I agree, we're not that old at 28/29). I get all that. Do I think if he doesn't show up at the nationals and make the US team (either by withdrawing or just falling short) that he'll lose face? No. Ultimately he's still one of 13 Olympic Champions for the USFSA. That doesn't change because you ran out of time for another Olympic go.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
\
My predictions for this season (which given my history those of you with differing hopes might as well resign yourself to now, as I always end up right on something I feel strongly enough to declare):

2. Weaver & Poje (I even started a thread about this a few months ago) are going to have their best year yet, win the bronze in Sochi and the GPF, win their first ever grand prix assignment, and win a medal at Worlds.

Feel free to bump if I even get a single of these wrong. As usual I wont.

BUMP. :biggrin:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
:laugh:

Still, W/P are having a great year. We'll see about the bronze at Olys, Worlds, or GPF though.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:laugh:

Still, W/P are having a great year. We'll see about the bronze at Olys, Worlds, or GPF though.

Hehe, normally I wouldn't rub salt into the wound that was COR judging at W/P's expense, but pangtongfan's supposedly infallible prediction was wrong, so I thought I would remind him of that (you know, since he asked us to). ;)

About pangtonfan's predictions, gotta give credit where it's due. Two years ago he said Julia Lipnitskaia was going to win everything in sight for the next four years. It took Julia a year to get started, but ptf's crystal ball is starting to look pretty good. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
For the record, I was hoping your predictions about W/P would be correct... I just knew better. ;) Glad you've finally realized that B/S will be pushed onto the podium over W/P no matter what (even if B/S fall, evidently).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
2. Weaver & Poje (I even started a thread about this a few months ago) are going to have their best year yet, win the bronze in Sochi and the GPF, win their first ever grand prix assignment, and win a medal at Worlds.

BUMP. :biggrin: :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
3. Volosozhar & Trankov will not only win everything (admitedly an all too easy prediction) but gain the respect from fans they have not yet gotten in the process. They will also change their mind on their current plans to retire post Sochi and will continue on, despite the OGM.

Oh, and BUMP again. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

LRK

Record Breaker
Meanwhile, does anyone actually know anything about what's going on with Evan?

seniorita

Record Breaker
I believe that Sasha could come back starting from USA nationals, because she didnt need a minimum TES score kept from previous seasons back then?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Meanwhile, does anyone actually know anything about what's going on with Evan?

It has been said by the USFSA that he needs to have the minimum TES score BEFORE Nationals in order to be considered for the Olympics. His last opportunity to do so begins on December 10. So basically all we're waiting for now is the withdrawal announcement (though no doubt he will leave that as late as possible, and the replacement skater will be disadvantaged).

No doubt in the meantime he'll still be milking his sponsors with the "I'm going to Sochi!" line...

splatgoesthequad

Match Penalty
It has been said by the USFSA that he needs to have the minimum TES score BEFORE Nationals in order to be considered for the Olympics. His last opportunity to do so begins on December 10. So basically all we're waiting for now is the withdrawal announcement (though no doubt he will leave that as late as possible, and the replacement skater will be disadvantaged).

No doubt in the meantime he'll still be milking his sponsors with the "I'm going to Sochi!" line...

At least if Evan goes with the "I'm going to Sochi!" line, it's going to be more believeable than Max Aaron doing promos for Team USA.

jaylee

Medalist
Sasha got a bye to Nationals since she was a medalist a the previous Olympics. Had she finished top 2 she would have had to be sent to Four Continents or another event to get the minimum qualifying TES for the Olympics. It is pretty ridiculous to realize but according to some people I have spoken to they were even considering putting her on the team after her 4th place finish, and it was the reason for the very long meeting and delayed announcement of the team.

I don't think there was a minimum qualifying TES during the 2006-2010 season?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At least if Evan goes with the "I'm going to Sochi!" line, it's going to be more believeable than Max Aaron doing promos for Team USA.

Except that Max is actually out there and competing, automatically making it more believable for him to go to Sochi than Lysacek, who we haven't seen in FOUR YEARS.

And seriously - who else would you put on there? Abbott can't be trusted. I'd like to believe Rippon's changed his ways, but I'm wary. Brown and Farris are young, so young...

SkateFan66

On the Ice
It has been said by the USFSA that he needs to have the minimum TES score BEFORE Nationals in order to be considered for the Olympics. His last opportunity to do so begins on December 10. So basically all we're waiting for now is the withdrawal announcement (though no doubt he will leave that as late as possible, and the replacement skater will be disadvantaged ).

Evan earned a bye b/c he won a medal at the last Olympics. If he WD, there will be no replacement skater.