Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Presser ongoing with Lysacek, Aaron, Abbott, Wagner, Zawadzki, Gold.

I guess/hope that the ice dancers and pairs skaters will have a separate presser??
ETA, maybe the dancers and pairs are on a slightly different schedule than the singles skaters. @MaiaShibutani just tweeted that @AlexShibutani and she trained this morning at home and will be en route to Park City today.

And BTW,@USFigureSkating tweeted that Michelle Kwan is at the summit as part of the media -- b/c of her role in Fox Sports coverage of the Olympics.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So if he can't skate at Skate America, how is he going to qualify per ISU? Does he get a bye because of that gold medal from four years ago?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So if he can't skate at Skate America, how is he going to qualify per ISU? Does he get a bye because of that gold medal from four years ago?

Do not think he gets a bye.

The tweets are coming fast and furious, but I'm pretty sure I saw one about finding an international competition for him in order to qualify for Sochi.

ETA, see this tweet from AP, which says so:

ETA, and this one from IN reporter @amyrosewater:
@EvanLysacek said he has been assured by @USFigureSkating that he can enter another international event to post score needed for Sochi.
8:26 AM - 30 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/amyrosewater/status/384700816570847232

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm sorry that Lysacek is injured and wish him a speedy - and complete - recovery. I do think it's a good thing, though, that it has been announced this early and not - as has been speculated - a day or two before the event. And no doubt a Senior B later in the season will be found for him - why not? Maybe NRW or Golden Spin - those are later in the season, are they not?

jennyanydots

On the Ice
So he expects to keep on training with a torn labrum? I suppose it depends on the extent but it's doutbful that it will withstand further 3A and quad training. Even if he does manage to push through it the permanent damage cannot be worth it.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So he expects to keep on training with a torn labrum? I suppose it depends on the extent but it's doutbful that it will withstand further 3A and quad training. Even if he does manage to push through it the permanent damage cannot be worth it.

I think this is it for Evan. He needs surgery, not another international event.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think this is it for Evan. He needs surgery, not another international event.

I think he knows it, judging by the pics I've seen he was the only one decked out in all team USA swag... I think he's here strictly to keep media attention on skating - at least for now...

And, at least, I hope that's why he is still toying with the idea... I don't want him skating injured to the point where it does permanent harm.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
I think he knows it, judging by the pics I've seen he was the only one decked out in all team USA swag... I think he's here strictly to keep media attention on skating - at least for now...

And, at least, I hope that's why he is still toying with the idea... I don't want him skating injured to the point where it does permanent harm.

ALL skaters were wearing Team USA swag. Evan was wearing Ralph Lauren Team USA attire. The other skaters were wearing Nike Team USA attire.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evan cannot compete in Sochi with a torn labrum. He needs surgery, and with surgery HE CANNOT COMPETE IN SOCHI. It's over, Evan. Time to go on to the next stage in life.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

ALL skaters were wearing Team USA swag. Evan was wearing Ralph Lauren Team USA attire. The other skaters were wearing Nike Team USA attire.

Yes, the khaki-colored jackets that the skaters other than Lysacek are wearing seem to be USOC team swag.
In this photo that I posted in the Max Aaron thread, M.A. is wearing one, and the view of Jeremy Abbott's is even better.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For comic relief, check out the expression on poor EL's face in this photo #UmmmWhatDoesOneSayToTheWeatherChannel? :

@MikeJenkinsTV
2010 figure skating gold medalist Evan Lysacek talks w/@weatherchannel about Sochi humidity & soft ice #MediaSummit pic.twitter.com/xjXMvpLSHP
10:57 AM - 30 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/MikeJenkinsTV/status/384738819808841728

(Don't mean to make light of EL's injuries. I hope that he is on the road to recovery.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

SkateFan66

On the Ice
interesting. the photo I saw earlier today (not these) had them looking way more casual.

IMO, the Nike sweatshirt jacket that the athletes are wearing is casual. Not sure how the outfits you saw earlier could be much more casual than an oversized sweatshirt jacket.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IMO, the Nike sweatshirt jacket that the athletes are wearing is casual. Not sure how the outfits you saw earlier could be much more casual than an oversized sweatshirt jacket.

they weren't uniform. Everyone was wearing something different (not all zipper hoodies) - though admittedly they were all the same colors. it just didn't look like team uniform/swag like I'm used to.

it wasn't a big deal, just an observation - Evan looked more "all business" in what he was wearing, everyone else looked like they were going out for coffee. No slight or freak out intended.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm sorry that Lysacek is injured and wish him a speedy - and complete - recovery. I do think it's a good thing, though, that it has been announced this early and not - as has been speculated - a day or two before the event. And no doubt a Senior B later in the season will be found for him - why not? Maybe NRW or Golden Spin - those are later in the season, are they not?

Per IN today:
As far as where Lysacek can go to achieve a qualifying score, he has a few options. Among them are the Ice Challenge, set for Nov. 19-24 in Graz, Austria, and the NRW Trophy and Golden Spin of Zagreb, both of which are scheduled for the first week in December.
According to ISU rules, Lysacek must meet the ISU minimums by Jan. 27 if he is to compete in the Winter Games.

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/30/62231950