Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure it really answered a lot at all. I'd like to know just how injured is he - truly and when can he get back to training and what jumps can he do now four months away from sochi?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not sure whether this Hersh story from yesterday is news.
US Figure Skating is imposing an earlier deadline -- before Nationals -- on Lysacek than what the ISU would require.

Clock ticking on Lysacek comeback
Reigning Olympic champion needs qualifying score for Sochi

By Philip Hersh, Tribune reporter
2:45 p.m. CST, November 13, 2013
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-on-lysacek-comeback-20131113,0,3491745.story

Excerpt:

Evan Lysacek is running out of time to get the minimum qualifying scores he needs to be eligible for the 2014 Olympics.

U.S. Figure Skating spokeswoman Renee Felton said Wednesday the reigning men’s figure skating champion must get those marks before the U.S. Championships, at which the senior events begin Jan. 9 in Boston.

Felton added that Lysacek is eligible to compete in Boston but cannot be considered for the Olympic team without having achieved the qualifying scores. USFS will announce the Olympic team Jan. 12 and forward the names Jan. 14 to the U.S. Olympic Committee for its signoff. ....

"Evan is back training and talking to USFS about what event to enter," his agent, Shep Goldberg, said Wednesday. "The bigger question is whether he could be in the best possible shape to represent the U.S. at the Olympics."

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
Is there even an international event left in that time frame for which the official entry deadline hasn't passed yet? Winter Universiade as a last resort?

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ really happy to see you here :)
There are some B events in Europe I see but i dont know which holds competition for singles men. There must be one at least, the Golden Spin?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is there even an international event left in that time frame for which the official entry deadline hasn't passed yet? Winter Universiade as a last resort?

The full Hersh article at the link above has the answer to your question. It explains Lysacek's event options.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am wondering if this is becoming an "Oh dear, the USFSA were sooooo inflexible with me and I wasn't fit enough for them" type storyline...

LRK

Record Breaker
Getting the minimum TES before US Nationals makes sense, though, I think. If only because I don't know if there would be any opportunities between Nationals and the Olympics. Are there any Senior B's schedulled between those two times? And even if there was, it would be very risky to pin all one's hopes on that - I mean, if some unforseen mishap were to prevent Evan from taking part, that would mean the end of his Olympic plans. It's better to try to do one earlier, and have a backup plan, in case something were to happen. Could be anything. Problems with planes, a temporary indisposition (like food poisoning, for instance), a broken blade... You can never know, so it is better to be prepared. Anyway. Best of luck to Evan.

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
^ really happy to see you here :)
There are some B events in Europe I see but i dont know which holds competition for singles men. There must be one at least, the Golden Spin?

Thank you :biggrin: You can always count on me lurking in the background. :)

Entry deadlines for Golden Spin and NRW have passed, I think, but I guess a skater of Evan's calibre may show up last minute and still take part?, else it's Ukrainian Open or nothing.

SkateFan66

On the Ice

Entry deadlines for Golden Spin and NRW have passed, I think, but I guess a skater of Evan's calibre may show up last minute and still take part?, else it's Ukrainian Open or nothing.

The U.S. Figure Skating Association already submitted an entry for the men's and ladies event at Golden Spin. Both entries are currently listed as TBA ( to be announced).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

The article said that Hersh had contacted the organisers of both Golden Spin and NRW and both had said they would be happy to bend things for him.

I still reckon this is the ending: "Couldn't get to a qualifying competition in time". Although I quite agree with the USFSA's stance. No point competing for a spot if you haven't got the scores for it.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Clock ticking on Lysacek comeback
By Philip Hersh, Tribune reporter
2:45 p.m. CST, November 13, 2013
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-on-lysacek-comeback-20131113,0,3491745.story

Excerpt:

Evan Lysacek is running out of time to get the minimum qualifying scores he needs to be eligible for the 2014 Olympics.....
"Evan is back training and talking to USFS about what event to enter," his agent, Shep Goldberg, said Wednesday. "The bigger question is whether he could be in the best possible shape to represent the U.S. at the Olympics."

The quote by his agent Shep Goldberg might be an oblique answer to the big question!

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Yes that is what we are leading up to. He will need something after all when he WDs from Nationals officialy, and aborts his comeback altogether officially. This is the perfect opportunity to find such a storyline.

Why would he need such a storyline if he WDs from nationals? It is documented that he suffered an abdominal tear and a torn left hip labrum. These are significant injuries. If Evan is not able to recover from the injuries in time to compete this season, he does not have to invent a storyline to justify the WD.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Why would he need such a storyline if he WDs from nationals? It is documented that he suffered an abdominal tear and a torn left hip labrum. These are significant injuries. If Evan is not able to recover from the injuries in time to compete this season, he does not have to invent a storyline to justify the WD.

If this year was the supposed start of his comeback you would be correct, but given that this so called comeback has dragged out 3 years now (and initially he did not even not compete due to an injury but due to some weird claims of not getting USFSA sponsorship/support) he probably rightly will feel the need to give a very good story to why he wont compete even once in this "comeback".

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know this doesn't make a lot of sense. I agree Evan doesn't need another reason to w/d. And yes he has injuries. But I think some of us, for whatever reason, do not feel perhaps his comeback is all that geniune or serious or realistic. Very few skaters can come back without competing since the last Olympics. Especially when the sport has changed and everyone has a quad and everyone has been trying to be like Lambiel or Buttle - great pcs (skating skills and all). Yes, Evan should do and will do what he wants. Yes it may be for money or attention. It may be genuinely be for the joy of competing or skating and it might be for ego too. It does add drama to the sport but I personally just don't care that much now for him. I realize it is up to Evan but I hope someone else gets their chance in the limelight. Evan has had a lot of luck now I hope he can move on and be happy. Whether or not he goes to sochi.

Icey

Record Breaker
So he trains, overtrains according to Frank and others, pays to have programs choreographed, gets injuries....to pull one over on the public about a comeback he planned on never happening?:sarcasm:

SkateFan66

On the Ice
If this year was the supposed start of his comeback you would be correct, but given that this so called comeback has dragged out 3 years now (and initially he did not even not compete due to an injury but due to some weird claims of not getting USFSA sponsorship/support) he probably rightly will feel the need to give a very good story to why he wont compete even once in this "comeback".

Evan was injured last season, had surgery, and was unable to compete. Even if Evan had competed in 2011, he would still be in the same situation he is now .... needing to earn the minimum TES to be eligible to compete at the Olympics. If Evan is not able to recover from his injuries in time to compete this season, he will not have to come up with a good 'story' to explain why he cannot compete.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I think the minimum qualifying scores are ridiculous. Who believe that Lysacek or Plushy or anyone else who has a title can't do that level?