Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious | Golden Skate

Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(USA Today) COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Behind closed curtains, U.S. Olympic figure skating hopefuls performed their short programs in front of thousands of empty seats at World Arena on Wednesday. There was no applause, but plenty of feedback.

spikydurian

Medalist
"One of my greatest weapons against the competition this year is experience," Lysacek said. "I've been in almost every situation. I've been up, down, on the greatest highs and the lowest lows. … I have every silver, every gold, every bronze medal to prove it so I think those experiences will come in handy because of the ability to adapt is really crucial to success in the Olympics.

"It's not like every competition. Obstacles come at you left and right, distractions come at you left and right. To learn how to adapt to them from prior experience is really crucial to success."
All the best Evan. You can do it! Wow... I like the idea of a face off between Plushenko and Evan. Men's figure skating is sooo exciting.:yay:

If he's really starting to buckle down, I'll be eager to see the results. He still has the best international record of any active male skater in the U.S., maybe along with Johnny.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If he's really starting to buckle down, I'll be eager to see the results. He still has the best international record of any active male skater in the U.S., maybe along with Johnny.

Weir is not in the same category with his one World bronze medal and no wins or other medals from major international competitions = Worlds/Olympics.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Things have changed since 2010. And not competing for 3 years and expecting to just start where he left off isn't going to happen. And he's not getting any younger either.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
"One of my greatest weapons against the competition this year is experience," Lysacek said. "I've been in almost every situation. I've been up, down, on the greatest highs and the lowest lows. … I have every silver, every gold, every bronze medal to prove it so I think those experiences will come in handy because of the ability to adapt is really crucial to success in the Olympics.

"It's not like every competition. Obstacles come at you left and right, distractions come at you left and right. To learn how to adapt to them from prior experience is really crucial to success."
All the best to Evan. He seems to have plenty of desire and knows how to work hard. HOWEVER, haven't BOTH Patrick Chan and Daisuke Takahashi been to the Olympics before too? Haven't they also had high highs and low lows? I know most skaters have an ego, but seriously? Evan talks like no other skater can have a meaningful Olympics. How much of a role might media spin play in what we're given here? Evan hasn't experienced competition in 3 years, whereas Chan, Takahashi, Fernandez, and others have been on the competitive scene ever since Vancouver. Hanyu is a relative newcomer, but he hasn't not competed for 3 years like Evan has. Evgeni Plushenko and Yu-Na Kim have at least competed sporadically since Vancouver. I am skeptical of how well Evan would place if he gets to Sochi, but it's figure skating, so in a sense you never quite know what will happen. This season will certainly be VERY interesting.

You're right about Chan and Takahashi, skatingfan4ever, but I assumed Evan's remark to mean that he was comparing himself to other American skaters, in which case he's stating the situation more accurately.

Certainly the fact that Evan hasn't experienced competition in three years is a sobering one, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but as I said earlier, no American currently skating has his track record, so even if his skills have diminished, he still has a chance to do better than any of them. (I'm hoping really hard that Aaron will use his strengths well this season, but so far we don't know much about his skills other than his fine jumping.) Evan also has a cool head for competition, which I'm not sure most of the other Americans have exhibited yet, and that's an asset that shouldn't be undervalued. Assuming that he stays healthy, that he works as hard as he's famously done in the past, and that he hasn't just started training (which would mean that he hasn't prepared AT ALL--which doesn't sound like his usual method), he might have a chance to benefit the U.S. at the Olympics. As you say, the season will be very interesting.

(Though I'm rooting primarily for Takahashi, I would like the U.S. to have at least a respectable presence in the final standings. I hate that we might end up not only off the podium but out of the top five, or maybe even the top ten.)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
You're right about Chan and Takahashi, skatingfan4ever, but I assumed Evan's remark to mean that he was comparing himself to other American skaters, in which case he's stating the situation more accurately.
:eek::Gosh, Olympia, I didn't even think about reading it that way. If I had, I would have had a different reaction and then phrased my post differently. Thanks for pointing out that possibility. I feel a bit better now about the whole thing. I'm all for a respectable Sochi showing for the US men!

gmyers

Record Breaker
:eek::Gosh, Olympia, I didn't even think about reading it that way. If I had, I would have had a different reaction and then phrased my post differently. Thanks for pointing out that possibility. I feel a bit better now about the whole thing. I'm all for a respectable Sochi showing for the US men!

crucial to success in the Olympics. The end of the statement was the Olympics not US nationals. Against the competition of other Americans in the Olympics? He certainly wasn't talking US nationals. He was talking about the Olympics. You could argue that he talking about the other American in the Olympics but I don't see that. He says very broadly competition not US competition.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Good luck to Evan! However, skating field he will be facing definitely won't be easy. I wonder if Evan has quads now. It is probably impossible to even medal in this coming Olympics without quads.

crucial to success in the Olympics. The end of the statement was the Olympics not US nationals. Against the competition of other Americans in the Olympics? He certainly wasn't talking US nationals. He was talking about the Olympics. You could argue that he talking about the other American in the Olympics but I don't see that. He says very broadly competition not US competition.

I still feel it could be interpreted that he is talking about his chance to make Americans, but I could of course be wrong. With your explanation, to me it now makes sense both ways. The reality is that the international field is currently very strong, and the American field is relatively weak, so Lysacek has a decent chance to do well on the American team while still having not much chance of excelling at the Olympics. If Plushenko is really physically ready for the Olympics, that makes at least--hmmm; five people ahead of Lysacek at his best. Even without Plushy, there are still Takahashi, Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez, maybe others.

It would still be a significant achievement if Lysacek could at least get himself to the Games (meaning that he was one of America's top two) and make it into the top five or six in Sochi. With his ability to skate for points, he might not need a quad to attain a standing like that. All this is speculation, of course, and keep in mind that I'm no kind of expert on technical details.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Good luck to Evan! However, skating field he will be facing definitely won't be easy. I wonder if Evan has quads now. It is probably impossible to even medal in this coming Olympics without quads.

Evan did quads in practice at Sun Valley. However, he did not include quads in the two programs that he skated in the 'Sun Valley on Ice' show.

LRK

Record Breaker
Something that struck me in the article was this:

"He's recovering from his injuries and his surgeries which were a lot more extensive than a lot of people know. It's getting better and better but he is in pain and he has to be very careful with how much he does. I don't know in figure skating if someone has tried to come back from that level of injury."

I'm curious as to this assertion by Mr Carroll (specifically the part I've underlined - not the former part, which I've merely quoted for context). Thoughts?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lysacek had chronic knee and hip pain in the last quad (and the quad before). Maybe it wasn't chronic so much as something like what Alyssa/Yags/Lipinski have all dealt with?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I still feel it could be interpreted that he is talking about his chance to make Americans, but I could of course be wrong. With your explanation, to me it now makes sense both ways. The reality is that the international field is currently very strong, and the American field is relatively weak, so Lysacek has a decent chance to do well on the American team while still having not much chance of excelling at the Olympics. If Plushenko is really physically ready for the Olympics, that makes at least--hmmm; five people ahead of Lysacek at his best. Even without Plushy, there are still Takahashi, Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez, maybe others.

It would still be a significant achievement if Lysacek could at least get himself to the Games (meaning that he was one of America's top two) and make it into the top five or six in Sochi. With his ability to skate for points, he might not need a quad to attain a standing like that. All this is speculation, of course, and keep in mind that I'm no kind of expert on technical details.

I really think he was talking about the Olympics and worldwide competition but the context can lead to differences in interpretation.

Top five with no quad would be mind boggling! I am thinking all level 4 non jump elements backloading of all jumps-nothing not in the bonus and like 9.5 all pcs.

Something that struck me in the article was this:

"He's recovering from his injuries and his surgeries which were a lot more extensive than a lot of people know. It's getting better and better but he is in pain and he has to be very careful with how much he does. I don't know in figure skating if someone has tried to come back from that level of injury."

I'm curious as to this assertion by Mr Carroll (specifically the part I've underlined - not the former part, which I've merely quoted for context). Thoughts?

I think of hongbo zhaos ruptured Achilles as something that really might have been the worst thing anyone came back from! Based on all previously published reports there's nothing lysacek has dealt with that is rare.

Not to mention Plushenko and his back surgery! Though he hasn't come back completely yet, he seems to have done a few jumps. And Takahashi's rebounding from the knee injury is pretty marvelous.

Definitely Hongbo Zhao is a shining example of a comeback that was just about impossible.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think of hongbo zhaos ruptured Achilles as something that really might have been the worst thing anyone came back from! Based on all previously published reports there's nothing lysacek has dealt with that is rare.

Surya came back after the same injury as Hongbo, but her jumps were much worse as she lost her 3F and 3Z. I cannot image a male skater successfully coming back after a worse injury than that.

spikydurian

Medalist
Evan did quads in practice at Sun Valley. However, he did not include quads in the two programs that he skated in the 'Sun Valley on Ice' show.
IMO, Evan is someone who plans well and very determined (much like Plushenko). It is likely he has a quad to show. Not including the quads in a show program is understandable. Why pound your body unncessarily if it's not required?