Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Huh? Surya Bonaly won five European championships, a slew of Grand Prix events, and three world silver medals.

Her style was not everyone's cup of tea, but isn't it a little premature to start pushing Aaron into that class?

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy
    Besides why go in this direction when you have the all around complete skaters in Takahashi, Hanyu, Chan and Fernandez - don't second for second or third rate.
    This 'all around skater'-thing is pretty debatable in itself. And why must skating go into any kind of direction? Max has some great qualities to him, he's enjoybale to watch, and that's fine. God knows I love Daisuke to pieces and I'd break down in happy hysteria if he'd win the OGM. But we have that one Takahashi, so why would Aaron need to skate like that? A competition is way more enjoyable if there are many different contenders with different skating styles with different strengths and weaknesses. I can put that one Dai performance on repeat, I don't need to watch 10 Dai's competing with each other.
    If Max never becomes 'the complete package', I couldn't care less. He has time, we will see if he can improve or not, but even if he doesn't, I'd still continue to enjoy watching him.

And for that less talk, more action: has Max even been around long enough to fall short of his own proclamations? Yes, some skaters talk a lot and don't act according to it; and others don't. For now, I'm optimistic Max will stick to his word

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Huh? Surya Bonaly won five European championships, a slew of Grand Prix events, and three world silver medals.

Her style was not everyone's cup of tea, but isn't it a little premature to start pushing Aaron into that class?
    Yes, it's hard to say if Max will ever manage to win five European championships
    (Sorry, of course you're right, but I couldn't refrain from that stupid joke )

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

OK, Mathman. I see what you did there.

Fairly played.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Why go for a second rate Elvis Stoijko when you have Fernandez, Hanyu, Chan and Takahashi who embody the complete skater.
    Wow. Fernandez is a fun skater with good tech, I'll give you that. Hanyu can barely get through a long program without dying at the end of it. Chan spends half his time wiping the floor with his backside. And Takahashi? When was the last time Takahashi went clean, or consistent, for a prolonged period? No thank you. I'll take Max Aaron any day. I don't want to see a field of clones. I want to see everyone's individual style. Sure, Max isn't the most "artistic" skater, he doesn't have the best edges or the deepest knees or the most wonderful musicality. But you know who he skates like? Max Aaron!

(And whether you like it or not, he IS the US National Champion. He DID finish 4th at Four Continents and he DID finish 7th at Worlds. In his first international championships. Whether you like it or not, he is a very good skater.)

Max does not have the chutzpah, the it quality, the attitude and character Elvis had.
    This is total, utter RUBBISH. Max has plenty of chutzpah. He has great it quality, and his attitude is magnificent. Are you seriously going to tell a guy who came back from a broken back that he doesn't have chutzpah?

I don't know what's got your panties in a twist over him, but making up lies about Max is not making your argument look any better.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    You know what else Stokjo had that Max doesn't? More than a decade on the senior circuit. His career spanned from the late 1980s to the early 2000s. Max barely has two.

He certainly has time and room to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Hah! Dick Button was the only American to ever win a European title and he is not afraid to let you know it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Wow. Fernandez is a fun skater with good tech, I'll give you that. Hanyu can barely get through a long program without dying at the end of it. Chan spends half his time wiping the floor with his backside. And Takahashi? When was the last time Takahashi went clean, or consistent, for a prolonged period? No thank you. I'll take Max Aaron any day. I don't want to see a field of clones. I want to see everyone's individual style. Sure, Max isn't the most "artistic" skater, he doesn't have the best edges or the deepest knees or the most wonderful musicality. But you know who he skates like? Max Aaron!

(And whether you like it or not, he IS the US National Champion. He DID finish 4th at Four Continents and he DID finish 7th at Worlds. In his first international championships. Whether you like it or not, he is a very good skater.)

This is total, utter RUBBISH. Max has plenty of chutzpah. He has great it quality, and his attitude is magnificent. Are you seriously going to tell a guy who came back from a broken back that he doesn't have chutzpah?

I don't know what's got your panties in a twist over him, but making up lies about Max is not making your argument look any better.

time will tell folks. Max has only had one major year competing. he could win or bomb With more pressure on him we'll see what happens.

Custom Title
    I'm with you Skater Boy but Max seems to be the way skating is going so I say whatever. I prefer the complete package that has a quad or 2 and a nice triple axel.

Goodness we're getting testy here! I agree that time and this Olympic season will help define who Max Aaron really is and if he can compete with the big boys.

Hanyu, Javi and Daisuke have already proven they're at the top of elite men's skating. Whether or not Max is there is still to be determined.

i hope he's competing..

Custom Title
    It's not like Javier was a great skater just a couple years ago. Until this year his best finish at Worlds was 9th. In fact it's only been the last two season's that Javier became a force back in the 2011 season he was pretty mediocre with his placements in international events. Max might not ever become a contender on the world stage but you never know.

Some of you are glass half-empty kind of people when it comes to Max, huh? Yikes.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Max does not have the chutzpah, the it quality, the attitude and character Elvis had. Elvis was Elvis - he was a personality on and off the ice.
    And Max is Max.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I'll take Max Aaron any day. I don't want to see a field of clones. I want to see everyone's individual style. Sure, Max isn't the most "artistic" skater, he doesn't have the best edges or the deepest knees or the most wonderful musicality. But you know who he skates like? Max Aaron!

.... Max has plenty of chutzpah. He has great it quality, and his attitude is magnificent. Are you seriously going to tell a guy who came back from a broken back that he doesn't have chutzpah?
    Yes, the fearless Max absolutely personifies chutzpah, in the most positive sense of the word. (BTW, Happy New Year / L'Shana Tovah to the Aaron family and to all of our Jewish friends in the skating world. )

Agree also that Max has a natural star quality, "it" factor, or whatever you want to call it. His personality shines off the ice, and felt magnetic during his exhibition program last season. I am curious to see whether his new SP and FS allow him to show more of it during competition this season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    And Max is Max.

Yes, the fearless Max absolutely personifies chutzpah, in the most positive sense of the word. (BTW, Happy New Year / L'Shana Tovah to the Aaron family and to all of our Jewish friends in the skating world. )

Agree also that Max has a natural star quality, "it" factor, or whatever you want to call it. His personality shines off the ice, and felt magnetic during his exhibition program last season. I am curious to see whether his new SP and FS allow him to show more of it during competition this season.
    Well imho Max does not have the it factor but give him some time he looks more like an Elvis type but his personality on the ice is not so strong or organic but give him time. We'll see how h e fairs this year.

I love what max brings to skating, and hes masculinity on ice is what makes him more awesome to watch, and he is just sooooo faaast its unreal... and fearless just look at his speed into those quads! Im sure he do really well this season as for Evan rumour has it that he is suddenly "injured" and wont be going to salt lake next week... what a suprise...not i dont see his come back happening

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Apologies again for my misleading reference earlier to four quads for Max Aaron this season (based on what Lynn Rutherford had reported from Champs Camp).

Aaron's ultimate plan for this season is five quads -- according to what Rutherford now says in her SLC preview (Sep 11):
    As usual, the men's event revolves around quadruple jumps. Max Aaron plans three in his free to Bizet's Carmen: two Salchows and a toe loop.
    "He's done about half-a-dozen clean longs, with three quads," said his coach, Tom Zakrajsek, at the end of August. "Lori [Nichol] choreographed the long for three quads. He's really going for it; he's not backing down."
    Later this season, Aaron plans to add a quad toe to his short, choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo to a Latin selection. The program already features a quad Salchow combination.
    "It's a fun piece of music. I picked it because I wanted something that would get the crowd involved," Aaron, 21, said. "[The choreography] is fun and unique for me. It shows I can do other things besides jump."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/11/60278732

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast