Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Apologies again for my misleading reference earlier to four quads for Max Aaron this season (based on what Lynn Rutherford had reported from Champs Camp).

Aaron's ultimate plan for this season is five quads -- according to what Rutherford now says in her SLC preview (Sep 11):
    As usual, the men's event revolves around quadruple jumps. Max Aaron plans three in his free to Bizet's Carmen: two Salchows and a toe loop.
    "He's done about half-a-dozen clean longs, with three quads," said his coach, Tom Zakrajsek, at the end of August. "Lori [Nichol] choreographed the long for three quads. He's really going for it; he's not backing down."
    Later this season, Aaron plans to add a quad toe to his short, choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo to a Latin selection. The program already features a quad Salchow combination.
    "It's a fun piece of music. I picked it because I wanted something that would get the crowd involved," Aaron, 21, said. "[The choreography] is fun and unique for me. It shows I can do other things besides jump."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/11/60278732
    What she said was that there was a planned layout of three quads in the long, with 4S in the latter half--and if done well, TES would be >100.

Very ambitious layout, but we've definitely seen him muscle out those quads before (but at the expense of his other jumps). The only other guys I can think of who is planning three quads (or has planned/done three quads (4T and 4S) in the past) are Javier Fenandez and Kevin Reynolds, neither of whom reached 100 in TES. It would be nice to see all three try over the course of this season though. It would certainly be something to behold!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    An attempt to clarify my post just above:

Soon after Champs Camp, Rutherford had reported on IN that Aaron was planning three quads for his FS + at least one for his SP = a total of at least four. I made note of that somewhat earlier in this thread, b/c it seemed a little different from from what Aaron had been saying previously -- without seeming to leave much wiggle room for himself -- about a total of five.

In today's IN article, Rutherford elaborated that the plan is for Aaron's SP this season to eventually have two quads, meaning that his total really would be five ... as Aaron led us to expect all along. All good.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Very ambitious layout, but we've definitely seen him muscle out those quads before (but at the expense of his other jumps). The only other guys I can think of who is planning three quads (or has planned/done three quads (4T and 4S) in the past) are Javier Fenandez and Kevin Reynolds, neither of whom reached 100 in TES. It would be nice to see all three try over the course of this season though. It would certainly be something to behold!
    100 is certainly possible for those guys... Fernandez certainly would have cleared 100 points of TES (he got 96.65) at Euros 2013 if he did his 3F instead of 2F and if he hadn't had the stumble on the exit of his 4S-3T. He could have also turned his 3S into a 3Z or 3F for a few more points. Reynolds would have cleared 100 points at Four Continents 2013, if he had done a 3S-3L-2L, instead of just a 3S-2L, and held positions in his final spin just a tad longer.

It's exciting though to see at least 3 men attempting 3 quads in their LP. I'm hoping Hanyu can get that pesky 4S more consistent and join them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well imho Max does not have the it factor but give him some time he looks more like an Elvis type but his personality on the ice is not so strong or organic but give him time. We'll see how h e fairs this year.
    He has a lot of personality on the ice. Elvis always struck me as kind of angry. Max seems the opposite.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    He has a lot of personality on the ice. Elvis always struck me as kind of angry. Max seems the opposite.
    Stojko was always extremely defensive because it he was always under a lot of attack. Skating establishment attacking and then just his past of dealing with sterotypes. Very defensive always. Aaron is not at That stage of success stojko was which caused huge backlash and really i dont think would be attacked like a stojko.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    100 is certainly possible for those guys... Fernandez certainly would have cleared 100 points of TES (he got 96.65) at Euros 2013 if he did his 3F instead of 2F and if he hadn't had the stumble on the exit of his 4S-3T. He could have also turned his 3S into a 3Z or 3F for a few more points. Reynolds would have cleared 100 points at Four Continents 2013, if he had done a 3S-3L-2L, instead of just a 3S-2L, and held positions in his final spin just a tad longer.

It's exciting though to see at least 3 men attempting 3 quads in their LP. I'm hoping Hanyu can get that pesky 4S more consistent and join them.
    Kovtun is also going to try 3 quads in the long and 2 in the short according to articles from the Sochi test skates. Guess he really wants to be the Russian male who makes that Olympic squad.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    From Hersh @olyphil tweets this morning:

Frank Carroll said @EvanLysacek return to practice uncertain and is completely in hands of Evan's doctors

Frank Carroll on Evan: "I'm a little worried because the clock is ticking. He has to go somewhere and do something to get qualifying score"

If anyone can do it, it's Evan.

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/E...Jsj3vPTpSl.jpg

(Well, and Evgeni Plushenko. But he's pretty much immortal.)

Custom Title

Frank Carroll said @EvanLysacek return to practice uncertain and is completely in hands of Evan's doctors

Frank Carroll on Evan: "I'm a little worried because the clock is ticking. He has to go somewhere and do something to get qualifying score"
    And he's done. If he wasn't so injured I would be curious to see what he could have done. Olympic podium possibly.

Custom Title

This does not sound hopeful. It's hard for any champion athlete to give up, because athletes always believe in mind over matter. This is why so many of them in so many sports stay past their "expiration date." But if an athlete can't even move, then it's kind of imperative to stop. Still, there's always that teaspoon of possibility, which supplies the driving force, I guess.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrgirl View Post
    And he's done. If he wasn't so injured I would be curious to see what he could have done. Olympic podium possibly.
    I agree, it would have been great to see some sort of a comeback but I never thought it was a real possibility anyways. I really would be shocked to see him show up at Skate America.

Custom Title
    Yep, here it comes...WD from SkAm. Knew it.

It sounds to me like he never made allowances for his body/injuries/age. When Plushenko came back, he changed his whole training regime because he knew that his body couldn't handle what he had been doing before his retirement. It sounds like Lysacek threw himself back into training with no regard for his injuries and where his body was at.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    It sounds like Lysacek threw himself back into training with no regard for his injuries and where his body was at.
    It's a very common mindset of people his age. A lot of my guy friends (we're the same age) would do the exact same thing.

Evan would have had his work cut out for him in any case. He might have finished in the bottom half, behind Aaron, Joubert, Ten, and all three Japanese.

I hope Grant Hochstein gets the spot.

Why is everyone jumping to conclusions and counting him out already. Are you all working at his Dr's office? No. Are you part of his coaching staff? no. Just stop being downers.
    I will not give up on Evan. He's in great shape and has been even up to starting training. It's not like in his hiatus he gained 200 lbs and has been feasting on bags of doritos and not working out.
    Just b/c olyphil decided to tweet some hearsay from Frank and everyone wants to interpret it their way and flip out. Then again, I know what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Evan would have had his work cut out for him in any case. He might have finished in the bottom half, behind Aaron, Joubert, Ten, and all three Japanese.

I hope Grant Hochstein gets the spot.

Lastly, if you were watching Evan skate in July up to Champs Camp and before the minor setback he's going through right now, the guys listed above would have NOT been ahead of him in the placements.

SLC was a huge confirmation on that. On top of what I already knew. Max Aaron can't land on his feet...wait let me change that..he can't land on one foot.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast