Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Yes, the khaki-colored jackets that the skaters other than Lysacek are wearing seem to be USOC team swag.
    In this photo that I posted in the Max Aaron thread, M.A. is wearing one, and the view of Jeremy Abbott's is even better.
    interesting. the photo I saw earlier today (not these) had them looking way more casual.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post

interesting. the photo I saw earlier today (not these) had them looking way more casual.
    IMO, the Nike sweatshirt jacket that the athletes are wearing is casual. Not sure how the outfits you saw earlier could be much more casual than an oversized sweatshirt jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    IMO, the Nike sweatshirt jacket that the athletes are wearing is casual. Not sure how the outfits you saw earlier could be much more casual than an oversized sweatshirt jacket.
    they weren't uniform. Everyone was wearing something different (not all zipper hoodies) - though admittedly they were all the same colors. it just didn't look like team uniform/swag like I'm used to.

it wasn't a big deal, just an observation - Evan looked more "all business" in what he was wearing, everyone else looked like they were going out for coffee. No slight or freak out intended.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I'm sorry that Lysacek is injured and wish him a speedy - and complete - recovery. I do think it's a good thing, though, that it has been announced this early and not - as has been speculated - a day or two before the event. And no doubt a Senior B later in the season will be found for him - why not? Maybe NRW or Golden Spin - those are later in the season, are they not?
    Per IN today:
    As far as where Lysacek can go to achieve a qualifying score, he has a few options. Among them are the Ice Challenge, set for Nov. 19-24 in Graz, Austria, and the NRW Trophy and Golden Spin of Zagreb, both of which are scheduled for the first week in December.
    According to ISU rules, Lysacek must meet the ISU minimums by Jan. 27 if he is to compete in the Winter Games.

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/30/62231950

Custom Title
    This threads title final word can be potholes now

Custom Title
    I am so surprised. Surprised, shocked, distressed.

The only surprise here is that it's actually not the week before SkAm.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I am so surprised. Surprised, shocked, distressed.

The only surprise here is that it's actually not the week before SkAm.
    The timing of the USOC Media Summit - going on now in Park City - likely drove the necessity of making an announcement. Otherwise, he would have been in the position of needing to provide misleading responses that would have only backfired on him if he withdrew just 2 weeks later.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GGoldberg View Post

The timing of the USOC Media Summit - going on now in Park City - likely drove the necessity of making an announcement. Otherwise, he would have been in the position of needing to provide misleading responses that would have only backfired on him if he withdrew just 2 weeks later.
    I think that the timing of the announcement is due to the MRI test result that he got last Thursday, which revealed the torn labrum in his left hip. With the torn labrum, there is no way he could be physically ready to compete at Skate America. Lysacek had been off the ice one month due to a slight abdominal tear, and had returned to the ice in hopes of being ready to compete at SA. However, what little chance he had ended with the labrum tear.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Just like I predicted when his "comeback" was first announced he was never going to actually follow through and compete. This was just about keeping his names in the news before he becomes completely irrelevant for good after the Sochi Olympics. He will not announce the end of his comeback until right before Nationals where he will WD last minute, to milk every last ounce of publicity he can though. I am not criticizing him btw, from a financial standpoint it is very smart on his behalf. Competing where he would place very poorly in todays field (healthy or not) would be the only mistake.
    And I assume that you believe that part of Evan's charade was to undergo surgery last year in an attempt to "just keep his name out there" and "milk every little bit of publicity" that he can. Evan may not be able to compete again; however, it will not be because of a lack of desire or lack of effort on his part.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Just like I predicted when his "comeback" was first announced he was never going to actually follow through and compete. This was just about keeping his names in the news before he becomes completely irrelevant for good after the Sochi Olympics. He will not announce the end of his comeback until right before Nationals where he will WD last minute, to milk every last ounce of publicity he can though. I am not criticizing him btw, from a financial standpoint it is very smart on his behalf. Competing where he would place very poorly in todays field (healthy or not) would be the only mistake.
    Alot of skaters have desire and want to win - doesn't mean they can pull it off. I never for one nanosecond felt that we would see Evan at Nationals. And I agree with pangtongfan that keeping "the dream" alive was probably pretty financially beneficial to him. I've said this many times (probably in this thread even) that Evan should just wear his gold medal proudly and be happy he attained that level in his sport - not besmirch it with a less than perfect performance, which was very, very unlikely at his age and with the lack of competition in the last few years.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    There's a pretty obvious answer to this that has nothing to do with conspiracy.

Imagine if you're an elite athlete. You've experienced the very apex of your sport, an Olympic Gold Medal. It must be the most thrilling moment.

Surely, you'd like to experience that again, or at least to have the opportunity to be in the chase.

Whether Evan can actually pull off the impossible dream or not, I don't doubt his motives.

For the record, I don't think he'll make it, but I also don't begrudge him the chance to strive.

Banned
    omg, shocking

next thing is to pull out at nationals
    lyacek is a joke

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    omg, shocking

lyacek is a joke
    Well, if he does, he does. He's still the reigning Olympic gold medalist. Maybe hard for you to swallow, but hardly a joke.

As far as a skater's comeback is concerned, there is certainly the potential to back out. They don't owe it to anyone to compete or to prove people wrong. Two things can happen: the first, more rare option, is that the skater actually comes back (see Shen/Zhao, Kim) after a hiatus and has still maintained their ability and are also fortunate that the rest of the field hasn't progressed; the second, is that the skater comes back, and unfortunately for them, they don't posses their former ability and/or the field has become too strong.

Clearly Evan is in the second boat, and whether or not his ability returned or whether he was injured, the main factor deterring him from a comeback is that the men's field has progressed considerably. I know last year's Worlds were a disaster, but aside from that, the men have really upped their difficulty and standards. Evan wouldn't have been able to get away with his 2010 skate in Sochi, but I'd rather he rest up and takes care of his health than risk injuring himself or compete while unprepared just so people can be like "I told you so, what a surprise".

It's hilarious/ridiculous that people here are like "Evan pulled out! just like I predicted!", as if we all weren't aware that his comeback chances were slim to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    omg, shocking

lyacek is a joke
    As CanadianSkaterG said, Sky-fly, it's Not a Joke. He won the OGM in 2010! You don't like him but you have to live with it.

Custom Title
    So sorry to hear about Evan's injury. Labrum torn does sound a serious injury... Sincerely hope he gets first-class medicare (which he will I have no doubt) and rests enough as much as needed, so that he recovers completely.

As for replacement of Evan at SA, this site has been updated indicating it will be Jason Brown, hoping it's true! : http://deep-edge.net/list.php?s=2013&no=1

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast