Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Custom Title
    I know this doesn't make a lot of sense. I agree Evan doesn't need another reason to w/d. And yes he has injuries. But I think some of us, for whatever reason, do not feel perhaps his comeback is all that geniune or serious or realistic. Very few skaters can come back without competing since the last Olympics. Especially when the sport has changed and everyone has a quad and everyone has been trying to be like Lambiel or Buttle - great pcs (skating skills and all). Yes, Evan should do and will do what he wants. Yes it may be for money or attention. It may be genuinely be for the joy of competing or skating and it might be for ego too. It does add drama to the sport but I personally just don't care that much now for him. I realize it is up to Evan but I hope someone else gets their chance in the limelight. Evan has had a lot of luck now I hope he can move on and be happy. Whether or not he goes to sochi.

Custom Title
    So he trains, overtrains according to Frank and others, pays to have programs choreographed, gets injuries....to pull one over on the public about a comeback he planned on never happening?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post

If this year was the supposed start of his comeback you would be correct, but given that this so called comeback has dragged out 3 years now (and initially he did not even not compete due to an injury but due to some weird claims of not getting USFSA sponsorship/support) he probably rightly will feel the need to give a very good story to why he wont compete even once in this "comeback".
    Evan was injured last season, had surgery, and was unable to compete. Even if Evan had competed in 2011, he would still be in the same situation he is now .... needing to earn the minimum TES to be eligible to compete at the Olympics. If Evan is not able to recover from his injuries in time to compete this season, he will not have to come up with a good 'story' to explain why he cannot compete.

I think the minimum qualifying scores are ridiculous. Who believe that Lysacek or Plushy or anyone else who has a title can't do that level?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I think the minimum qualifying scores are ridiculous. Who believe that Lysacek or Plushy or anyone else who has a title can't do that level?
    Sure but Fumie Suguri has some world medals and she can't skate at the tes levels now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Sure but Fumie Suguri has some world medals and she can't skate at the tes levels now.
    But she can't win the Japanese National..

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Poor Fumie...

I do believe Evan wanted to come back, but I also think that he needs "an out" at this point. Injury *should* be enough, but it seems his pride (rightly or wrongly) cannot allow an injury to be reason enough not to go through with the plan. I get that he wants to go again. I get that he's not that old (I agree, we're not that old at 28/29). I get all that. Do I think if he doesn't show up at the nationals and make the US team (either by withdrawing or just falling short) that he'll lose face? No. Ultimately he's still one of 13 Olympic Champions for the USFSA. That doesn't change because you ran out of time for another Olympic go.

Custom Title
    \
    My predictions for this season (which given my history those of you with differing hopes might as well resign yourself to now, as I always end up right on something I feel strongly enough to declare):

2. Weaver & Poje (I even started a thread about this a few months ago) are going to have their best year yet, win the bronze in Sochi and the GPF, win their first ever grand prix assignment, and win a medal at Worlds.

Feel free to bump if I even get a single of these wrong. As usual I wont.
    BUMP.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg

Still, W/P are having a great year. We'll see about the bronze at Olys, Worlds, or GPF though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post

Still, W/P are having a great year. We'll see about the bronze at Olys, Worlds, or GPF though.
    Hehe, normally I wouldn't rub salt into the wound that was COR judging at W/P's expense, but pangtongfan's supposedly infallible prediction was wrong, so I thought I would remind him of that (you know, since he asked us to).

About pangtonfan's predictions, gotta give credit where it's due. Two years ago he said Julia Lipnitskaia was going to win everything in sight for the next four years. It took Julia a year to get started, but ptf's crystal ball is starting to look pretty good.

Custom Title
    For the record, I was hoping your predictions about W/P would be correct... I just knew better. Glad you've finally realized that B/S will be pushed onto the podium over W/P no matter what (even if B/S fall, evidently).

Custom Title
    2. Weaver & Poje (I even started a thread about this a few months ago) are going to have their best year yet, win the bronze in Sochi and the GPF, win their first ever grand prix assignment, and win a medal at Worlds.

BUMP.

Custom Title
    3. Volosozhar & Trankov will not only win everything (admitedly an all too easy prediction) but gain the respect from fans they have not yet gotten in the process. They will also change their mind on their current plans to retire post Sochi and will continue on, despite the OGM.

Oh, and BUMP again.

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast