Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Custom Title
    There is no reason if Aaron can get that second mark up he can't challenge someone like Kevin Reynolds also. Max has quads just like Kevin but he skates with much greater speed and bigger jumps. He just needs to learn how to really perform and be more artistic. Let's face it Kevin's jumps are not huge and his skating skills and speed are lacking compared to the top men.

Miserere Nobis
    And isn't Max planning two quads in the SP, and 2-3 in the FS? Let's face it -- if he's clean (and why wouldn't he be? The guy's stamina is just incredible), his TES will be one of the highest in the world.

Custom Title
    The 2012-13 season was Aaron´s first in senior skating. And he did not stand on the podium at 2013 Four Continents and Worlds. What he lacks for the next season is reputation. In that sense skaters like Joubert, Amodio and perhaps Brezina are ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    The 2012-13 season was Aaron´s first in senior skating. And he did not stand on the podium at 2013 Four Continents and Worlds. What he lacks for the next season is reputation. In that sense skaters like Joubert, Amodio and perhaps Brezina are ahead of him.
    One can argue that his reputation is steadily increasing going into the Olympic season, while that of the three other skaters have been declining over the past few years.

Custom Title
    I don't think Joubert skated well in 2013 worlds. A jump was invalidated, he did a 4t<+1t, I think he tripled a planned quad salchow. Tech was 65. It was all messed up! He didn't fall but didn't do well. It was like a 6.0 did well.

Custom Title
    I have watched men´s Olympic skating starting in 1976 and with a quick glance it seems to me, that:

- all gold medalists have been on the Worlds podium earlier
    - all silver medalists have been on the Worlds podium earlier (except Wylie who had competed in several Worlds and gotten the needed reputation from them)

From the 10 bronze medalists:

Cranston on the WC podium before OG
    Tickner on the WC podium before OG
    Sabovcik
    Petrenko
    Barna
    Candeloro
    Candeloro (OG bronze and on the WC podium before this second bronze medal)
    Goebel
    Buttle on the WC podium before OG
    Takahashi on the WC podium before OG

five of them - Sabovcik, Petrenko, Barna, Goebel and Candeloro (before his first bronze) - had competed in several Worlds events. All (except Goebel of course) have competed at several Europeans and stood on the podium there.

Well, figure skating is pretty much about reputation and in that sense Aaron´s chances of any medal do not seem very likely, in my opinion. Unless of course if he wins both 2014 Four Continents and 2013-2014 season´s GPF.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    One can argue that his reputation is steadily increasing going into the Olympic season, while that of the three other skaters have been declining over the past few years.
    2011-2012 was Aaron's first season as a senior. 2013 was the first year that he competed at Four Continents and Worlds.

Aaron's international resume is relatively short, but I believe that he will capitalize on his momentum from last season and continue to work his way up the ranks one competition at a time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Is Max clearly ahead of Verner, Joubert, Brezina and Amodio?
    Clearly ahead of Verner. Joubert, Brezina and Amodio can certainly put up high numbers (like at Euros 2013), and get higher PCS scores, so I wouldn't say he's CLEARLY ahead of them.

Bear in mind that Joubert and Brezina were both beating Aaron after the Worlds SP, and Amodio would have also been if not for his final spin.

Aaron also skated a very good FS (kudos, being one of the only men to have one)... while Joubert, Brezina and Amodio had particularly bad freeskates.

I really think we need to see Aaron on the GP before we can say he's ahead of perennial favourites like Brezina and Amodio.

Custom Title
    I have watched men´s Olympic skating starting in 1976 and with a quick glance it seems to me, that:

- all silver medalists have been on the Worlds podium earlier (except Wylie who had competed in several Worlds and gotten the needed reputation from them)

From the 10 bronze medalists:

Cranston on the WC podium before OG
    Tickner on the WC podium before OG
    Sabovcik
    Petrenko
    Barna
    Candeloro
    Candeloro (OG bronze and on the WC podium before this second bronze medal)
    Goebel
    Buttle on the WC podium before OG
    Takahashi on the WC podium before OG

five of them - Sabovcik, Petrenko, Barna, Goebel and Candeloro (before his first bronze) - had competed in several Worlds events. All (except Goebel of course) have competed at several Europeans and stood on the podium there.

Well, figure skating is pretty much about reputation and in that sense Aaron´s chances of any medal do not seem very likely, in my opinion. Unless of course if he wins both 2014 Four Continents and 2013-2014 season´s GPF.
    No chance of that since Aaron won't be at Four Continents unless he doesn't make the Olympic team which means he won't have to worry about reputation since he won't be at either the Olympics or Worlds most likely..

Out of curiosity, of the current candidates - those currently skating and trying for an Olympic spot, whether they make it or not - who would this include?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Out of curiosity, of the current candidates - those currently skating and trying for an Olympic spot, whether they make it or not - who would this include?
    Which countries do you mean? Generally I would say that look at the results from Worlds 2010-2013

Custom Title
    I believe what happened with ten at this years worlds can happen at the Olympics with Aaron or with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    If we are talking US Men:
    Aaron
    Miner
    Abbott
    Farris
    Brown
    Lysacek
    Rippon
    Razanno
    Hochstein

deleted (accidental duplicate post)

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I believe what happened with ten at this years worlds can happen at the Olympics with Aaron or with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    If we are talking US Men:
    Aaron
    Miner
    Abbott
    Farris
    Brown
    Lysacek
    Rippon
    Razanno
    Hochstein
    Sorry, I didn't understand LRK's question above. What are the criteria for inclusion on this list? Wondering whether Dornbush belongs on it too, for example.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast