Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post

Sorry, I didn't understand LRK's question above. What are the criteria for inclusion on this list? Wondering whether Dornbush belongs on it too, for example.
    LRK was asking which skaters, among the skaters competing for an Olympic spot, had previously been a medalist at Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I believe what happened with ten at this years worlds can happen at the Olympics with Aaron or with anyone.
    Well, yeah, that's the "ice is slippery" argument though. Ten skated very well, but he was also very fortunate that the favourites bombed. Also, Ten is a more experienced skater and been on the senior stage much longer than Aaron.

One advantage he does have is that the Olympics tends to reward the "cleanest" skaters and Aaron hasn't fallen much or made too many visible errors. Adding another quad will be interesting because he'll probably need it, but it does marginalize how clean he can be.

Any vids of Lysacek or any idea of what he's training like?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    LRK was asking which skaters, among the skaters competing for an Olympic spot, had previously been a medalist at Worlds.
    Well, mskater93 obviously is answering a different question, although I do not know what exactly it is.
    Some guys on her/his list have not been World medalists -- even if you count Junior World medalists.

(LRK: BTW, did you intend to include Junior Worlds??)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post

Out of curiosity, of the current candidates - those currently skating and trying for an Olympic spot, whether they make it or not - who would this include?
    Joubert, Kozuka, Takahashi, Gachinski, Lysacek, Plushenko, Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez, Ten, Weir

Custom Title

Well, mskater93 obviously is answering a different question, although I do not know what exactly it is.
    Some guys on her/his list have not been World medalists -- even if you count Junior World medalists.

(LRK: BTW, did you intend to include Junior Worlds??)
    Jaana had stated that since 1976, all Olympic gold & silver medalist, except for Wylie, had previously been a world medalist. LRK, then asked Jaana, who of the current competitors, would this include.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Jaana had stated that since 1976, all Olympic gold & silver medalist, except for Wylie, had previously been a world medalist. LRK, then asked Jaana, who of the current competitors, would this include.
    No big whoop and no offense to LRK, but I would have asked the question a different way if I were seeking the same answer.
    Also no big deal, and no offense to mskater, but clearly the question as worded was confusing to her/him. I still do not know (and it really does not matter at this point) what question mskater thought was being asked.

Ready to move on, SF66? I am.

Custom Title
    Ready to move on, SF66? I am.
    All I did was provide answers to questions that you asked. Why would I not be "ready to move on."

All I did was provide answers to questions that you asked. Why would I not be "ready to move on."
    Indeed, thank you, SkateFan66, for stepping in and clarifying on my behalf - AND for answering my question as well. Much appreciated.

@golden411 - My apologies to anyone who was mystified by my question - obviously I thought I was being clear, or I would have worded it differently. But these things happen on the internet, and considering the confusions that can occur, I think this was pretty minor - and also, I found mskater99's list really interesting as well, so all in all, the confusion gained me two interesting lists, instead of "merely" one - so personally, I rather feel as if I've rather gained by it than not. However, again, if I caused anyone else any annoyance, of any sort, I'm really sorry about that - and will try for more clarity in the future.

Custom Title
    Two lists are always better! (I have very rarely met a list or a chart I didn't like.)

Back to the original point of the prior track record of Olympians who made the podium, this is fascinating; I never thought of it that way before.

Thanks to both listers for the research!

Evan is def podium material in USA. It depends on if judges want him to have Olympic spot or respectable bronze retirement goodbye. Evan is a champion, and liked. One can never underestimate two elders-three actually in mens-Plush, Joubert and Lysacek. We love these long-time warriors and so do the judges. If Evan won a bronze in Olympics, it wouldn't surprise me- but he'll have to outskate Plush- Plush owns Bronze in Sochi unless he messes up bad. Evan and Plush are handicapped only by age and unhealed injury. They will be fierce competitors in anything til they die. I will never count them out.

Look as Shizuka in 2006. Boring, conservative clean. Cool competitors show off in practice then force the nervous to blow the Olympics. Kim has gold unless she falls to nerves. Kwan, Witt always won because they never let it consume or frighten them.

I will put my money on a veteran WC/OC any day. Clean is very impt. Had Sasha been clean, she easily would have beat Shizuka, but the Shiz was doing 3x3x3 in practice. She didn't need her full arsenal that day. Maybe we would have seen Shizuka's best effort with a clean stunning Sasha, but we seldom saw clean from the tiny dancer. Sasha was the silver skater who mihjt have been gold, could have been Kwan. Sad, kind of. Unlike Kim in 2010 with triple axels in the mix, she had to do her toughest stuff to ensure victory. She is in same place again, incredibly with a 20 point lead from Mao. It's gonna be kinda sad-that race.

I think mens will be a splatfest-the podium is no given-and Chan is no lock for gold like YuNa. I hope I'm wrong about the men, but Olympics doesn't always bring out the best from the majority of competitors.

Custom Title
    I m not sure if I would agree that men's 2014 could be like ladies 2006 where all the main contenders avoid quads in the sp and dont do them in the lp like all the ladies avoided 3/3 in 2006. The total absence of 3/3 in the free skates started in the sp. It was a really 3/3 free season in ladies. If you are saying lysacek could be like arakawa or another man could not do any quads or just do them in practice? I hope not. I don't believe men 2013-2014 will be like the ladies 2005-2006 and abandon all 3/3's!

The question I answered was who is going to compete for those 2 spots among the US men (since that SEEMED to be the question).

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    The question I answered was who is going to compete for those 2 spots among the US men (since that SEEMED to be the question).
    Yes, I realised that - I'm afraid my question was very unclear, since it confused so many people. But I appreciated seeing that list as well. (Men's is my favourite discipline, so I'm interested in most aspects of it anyway.) But, again, I'm sorry if I caused any annoyance to anyone.

Custom Title
    Well I think men event in Sochi will be a nail bitter as all men in top 10 will attempt quad in SP and at least one in LP. When you are in the biggest stage of figure skating, many things will play factors. Landing them cleanly will be different between on podium or not. Regarding Plushy, we will have to see until he skates, as there is no reports of what condition he is in after his injury. And he be the oldest one in men event, along with Takahashi. Looks at Takahashi, his jumps are already barely there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    Regarding Plushy, we will have to see until he skates, as there is no reports of what condition he is in after his injury. And he be the oldest one in men event, along with Takahashi.
    Here is short news clip on his trainings this summer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l4um0tdMrQ

It seems not so bad to be the oldest, after all, maybe?

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast