Haiti to have figure skating show | Golden Skate

Haiti to have figure skating show

islandpaddler

On the Ice
Country
US-Virgin-Islands
Haiti is having a figure skating show

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...bbc3dc-0a34-11e3-89fe-abb4a5067014_story.html

Featuring

This weekend’s performers include Russian-born figure skater Elena Glebova, the French pair skater Yannick Bonheur, German figure skater Annette Dytrt and British Olympian Penny Coomes.

I'd go in a heartbeat but you just can't easily get to Haiti from the Virgin Islands. We had a similar show on St. Thomas years ago. They brought in ice cubes from the ice plant and using a compressor, made an ice surface at a private school gym. There was no one in the show anyone familiar with figure skating ever heard of but it was so popular they had to put on extra performances. Of course, I went too.

No kidding? Haiti? Good for them! What a great thing to know that skating is going to an entirely new audience. Gee, I wonder whether anyone there will even be able to put videos up on YouTube. I don't know of the electronic capabilities, but I sure hope someone can share the experience with the world.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
It seems Haiti needs food, shelter, eradication of cholera from the drinking water and earthquake relief more than figure skating, but whatever!

Didn't Toller Cranston once travel to Haiti to do a show?

Look, sometimes something frivolous can lift the spirits so that people are better able to deal with and rectify their problems. Sending skaters also might give Haitians the message that people are paying attention to them, and that they're not invisible to the rest of the world.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
What lovely, heartening news!

(In a way, I have to confess, I feel this gives a point to me in a debate with gkelly. JK. :) And, yes, this parenthetical makes me a terrible person. Another smiley emoticon.)

Who's paying for it? (Article doesn't say.)