Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Countries that will be impacted the most by retirements?

Custom Title

Countries that will be impacted the most by retirements?

What countries do you think will be impacted the most by their skater's retirement?

Custom Title
    Japan. Ando, Mao and Suzuki are done for sure. And Kanako has said she might be done as well after Sochi but even if she comes back Japanese women won't be the dominate force they were for the last decade.

Custom Title
    Italy isn't going to WTT in the next years and Korea will be back with one skater at ladies worlds (at most
    Russia will be back with 3 skaters and USA will have 3 skater as this year. THis twi nations will dominate ladies events

Banned
    Japan will be heavily impacted so is Italy ( all their skaters are getting old even C/L and B/H )
    then USA and Canada ( ice dance and pairs but not for long ) and Russia Pairs ( but not for long )
    China will shift to singles and will ony have one or two lukewarm competitive pairs

Tripping on the Podium
    Italy in two or three seasons when Kostner, Marchei, Cappellini/Lanotte and Berton/Hotarek will have retired. Alas.

Custom Title
    Japan - ladies a lot, men a little bit but there will still be decent skaters left in men's category
    Italy -ladies
    Germany - pairs
    Korea -ladies
    When Korpi retires, also Finland ladies
    Russia not that much, there will be still plenty of good pairs left
    USA not much, I am sure the other dancers will step up
    Canada not much, they have other decent dancers

What about France? After Brian retires, they'll really only have Florent - I don't follow junior's, so it may not mean a lot, but I haven't even heard of any up-and-coming juniors? Are there any?

And I don't follow ice dance, but if P/B retire, are there any other dance teams to come after them?

Custom Title
    To be fair, Joubert was great in the past but I don't think he was serious contender in the last season, so there won't be that much difference when he is gone.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    What about France? After Brian retires, they'll really only have Florent - I don't follow junior's, so it may not mean a lot, but I haven't even heard of any up-and-coming juniors? Are there any?

And I don't follow ice dance, but if P/B retire, are there any other dance teams to come after them?
    France could have sent Chaffik Besseghier to 2013 worlds but he didn't meet French standards for worlds which just seemed idiotic shooting country in the foot!!

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    France could have sent Chaffik Besseghier to 2013 worlds but he didn't meet French standards for worlds which just seemed idiotic shooting country in the foot!!
    Perhaps, but I don't really see him placing higher than either Brian or Florent - do you? What little I've seen of him he seems mildly likeable to me - but I've never actually seen him doing really well.

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    To be fair, Joubert was great in the past but I don't think he was serious contender in the last season, so there won't be that much difference when he is gone.
    Well, he was 4th in 2012, and top ten (9th?) this year at Worlds' (and he beat Florent) - is there anyone else, other than Florent, who is likely to even duplicate that much? Meaning, is there anyone - some promising youngster - who is likely to equal even a declining Brian? It might not matter to the world at large, but the question was about the countries in question - and I imagine it would matter to France. That's all. (Also, I am genuinely curious - I haven't heard about any young really promising male French skaters - are there any?)

Custom Title
    Perhaps, but I don't really see him placing higher than either Brian or Florent - do you? What little I've seen of him he seems mildly likeable to me - but I've never actually seen him doing really well.
    He definitely would've been lower than amodio and Joubert but he's a third french man that could have gone to worlds and been getting seen and so even though he would've been third why not send someone! He qualified? Probably would have done better than maxim kovtun Russia's only!!! Man!!

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    He definitely would've been lower than amodio and Joubert but he's a third french man that could have gone to worlds and been getting seen and so even though he would've been third why not send someone! He qualified? Probably would have done better than maxim kovtun Russia's only!!! Man!!
    Oh, I agree that the decision was silly - and to me completely incomprehensible. I can't imagine what they thought they'd gain by not sending him. As you say, he'd at least gain some international exposure - and some experience. I'm not sure he'd have done better than Kovtun - but it really doesn't matter. He would surely have done better being there, than he did by not being there!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Japan will be heavily impacted so is Italy ( all their skaters are getting old even C/L and B/H )
    then USA and Canada ( ice dance and pairs but not for long ) and Russia Pairs ( but not for long )
    China will shift to singles and will ony have one or two lukewarm competitive pairs
    I am interested in your comment that China will shift to singles. It certainly looks as if their well of pairs skaters has dried up. It's a bit surprising that they didn't make the commitment to sustain this program, considering how well it did. After all, once they made the move into gymnastics and diving, they built quite a long-lasting dynasty in both sports. Does anyone have any concrete information on this?

I do feel sorry for Japan especially. They seemed to have an inexhaustible field of singles skaters, and suddenly just about all of the ladies are standing by the exit, waiting to depart. Korea at least is not a surprise, though it's equally sad. After all, no one could have expected YuNa to last forever. She's been skating at a senior level internationally for nearly two Olympic cycles. I hope Korea doesn't have to wait too long for another top-ten or top-five (or top-one!) skater.

Custom Title
    Yes, there are current World junior silver medalists, Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron who made a huge progress last year and their FD was amazing. I have huge hopes for them.
    Are they turning seniors? I would love to see them at Sochi, I think they can pass Pernelle Carron/Lloyd Jones for that second spot.

Japan's loss will be the greatest, because they are not loosing their lead lady skater (like South Koreea, Italy, Finland), but because they loose 4 amazingly talented and accomplished skaters who dominated since 2007 (they managed to have at least 1 lady on the podium since then and won 4 world titles)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast