Countries that will be impacted the most by retirements? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Countries that will be impacted the most by retirements?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
What about France? After Brian retires, they'll really only have Florent - I don't follow junior's, so it may not mean a lot, but I haven't even heard of any up-and-coming juniors? Are there any?

And I don't follow ice dance, but if P/B retire, are there any other dance teams to come after them?

Don't forget, Anissina is coming back. ;) lol.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Korea will be decimated without Yuna as she is the team really. The Chinese pairs will have to await see what happens to Sui and Han after Pang and Tong retire; and I am not sure what to think of Zhang and his new partner. Canada's men could be in trouble without Chan though Reynolds who is about the same age might stay on one would think and maybe change coaches and get a stylist and see what happens. The US team usually always has someone coming up in men's women, dance and even pairs or in the case of pairs a new combination. I would think pairs has little marketability as they keep changing partners almost as fast as Liz Taylor changed husbands.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ drifting slightly off topic...

I hope US pairs have a change of fortunes. I really like the US Bronze Medalists, Zhang and Bartholomay (no idea how to spell his name). Pairs were my favorite discipline, and it's almost unwatchable on the world scene, but particularly bad in the US.

However, this young pair skates with joy, and I like that. They also won one of the summer competitions, which will do their confidence some good.

Other than pairs, US seems in good shape, with very young champions or heirs to the throne that will go through the next Olympic cycle. Canada may be in even better shape.

Some lady in Japan will step up. There's too much money to be made by talented female athletes in Japan for someone not to grab the reins.

I had hoped Yuna would be the beginning of a surge in Korean skating, similar to how Midori Ito ignited Japanese interests, but I'm afraid she'll be Korea's one-hit wonder.

Whatever happened to British skating? They had gold medalists in three straight Olympics 76-80-84, and then... nothing (excepting T/D's brief return). I loved all three of those gold medals!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
US in Pairs seems to be on a upswing. I think K/S have medal potential in the future especially with the top teams most likely retiring.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
^^^ drifting slightly off topic...

I hope US pairs have a change of fortunes. I really like the US Bronze Medalists, Zhang and Bartholomay (no idea how to spell his name). Pairs were my favorite discipline, and it's almost unwatchable on the world scene, but particularly bad in the US.

However, this young pair skates with joy, and I like that. They also won one of the summer competitions, which will do their confidence some good.

Tonto, your spelling is impeccable. :agree:
And your taste in this case is too, IMHO. Zhang/ Bartholomay have an "it" quality in my estimation as well. :)