Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Countries that will be impacted the most by retirements?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I am interested in your comment that China will shift to singles. It certainly looks as if their well of pairs skaters has dried up. It's a bit surprising that they didn't make the commitment to sustain this program, considering how well it did. After all, once they made the move into gymnastics and diving, they built quite a long-lasting dynasty in both sports. Does anyone have any concrete information on this?
    because competitive pairs in China only started in the late 1990s and had their peak in the early 2000's
    it wasn't that long compared to the soviet and russian dynasty who still have good present and upcoming pairs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

I do feel sorry for Japan especially. They seemed to have an inexhaustible field of singles skaters, and suddenly just about all of the ladies are standing by the exit, waiting to depart. Korea at least is not a surprise, though it's equally sad. After all, no one could have expected YuNa to last forever. She's been skating at a senior level internationally for nearly two Olympic cycles. I hope Korea doesn't have to wait too long for another top-ten or top-five (or top-one!) skater.
    I wouldn't feel sorry for Japan. They will have some decent men even after Takahashi and Oda leave. Results of Japanese men (without Oda and Takahashi) from the last season:
    Hanyu - 1st and 2nd at GP, 2nd at GPF, 2 at 4CC, 4th at worlds
    Kozuka - 1st and 2nd at GP, 5th at GPF
    Tatsuki Machida - 1st and 3rd at GP, 6th at GPF, 1st and 2nd at some B competitions
    Takahito Mura 1st at GP, 8 at 4CC, 8th at worlds

I think men will definitely do just fine even without Takahashi and Oda.

With ladies it is a bit complicated. Kanako Murakami suggested that she may or may not retire because she wants to experience the 'normal student's life' However, when she is Japanese lady number 1, she may change her mind.
    Kanako Murakami 3rd and 4th at GP, 3rd at 4CC, 4th at worlds.
    Satoko Miahara has slightly struggled with underrotations and has been heavily deducted for that, but she has the full set of jumps and with a bit of work on the jumps she has the potential to be pretty decent. Her results even with the downgrades are not bad at all - 7th at junior worlds and 5th at JGPF. She needs a few years but she will be there pretty soon.

Then there is a few "average" skaters, such as Haruka Imai (8th and 5th at GP, 2nd and 3rd at B competitions), Risa Shoji was good the previous season in juniors but the last one was struggling (still in juniors), Rika Hongo (also still in juniors) could be promising (5th and 2nd in JGP and 9th at junior worlds).

So ladies will not be same as until now, there won't be 3 ladies in the first 5 or 6 at worlds, but they will retain one in first five for sure (Murakami), one with quite a lot of potential (Miahara) and any of the ones I mentioned above (Shoji, Hongo) may turn out to be reasonable too. Perhaps not the first 5 at worlds, but decent standard. I think that's still more than other countries (except of Russia and USA) will have.

Japan will be afected. Losing their superstars skaters Mao and Dai. The reteirement of Mao Asada will hit them financially no doubt about that. Korea it wilk take them years to have a world class skater like Yuna Kim. Italy has the same issue as Korea. The countries whi will benefit from the reteriments of the top 3 are US and Russia they have the talents to stand in the world podium

Custom Title
    And I think Canada will benefit. But I will miss Japan's bevy of spectacular ladies, and of course the glorious Daisuke. And I hope that Korea is able to remain an important part of skating--if not right away, then in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    France could have sent Chaffik Besseghier to 2013 worlds but he didn't meet French standards for worlds which just seemed idiotic shooting country in the foot!!
    That was silly, yeah. I think he could have been in the top 15.

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    What about France? After Brian retires, they'll really only have Florent - I don't follow junior's, so it may not mean a lot, but I haven't even heard of any up-and-coming juniors? Are there any?

And I don't follow ice dance, but if P/B retire, are there any other dance teams to come after them?
    Don't forget, Anissina is coming back. lol.

Custom Title
    Korea will be decimated without Yuna as she is the team really. The Chinese pairs will have to await see what happens to Sui and Han after Pang and Tong retire; and I am not sure what to think of Zhang and his new partner. Canada's men could be in trouble without Chan though Reynolds who is about the same age might stay on one would think and maybe change coaches and get a stylist and see what happens. The US team usually always has someone coming up in men's women, dance and even pairs or in the case of pairs a new combination. I would think pairs has little marketability as they keep changing partners almost as fast as Liz Taylor changed husbands.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    ^^^ drifting slightly off topic...

I hope US pairs have a change of fortunes. I really like the US Bronze Medalists, Zhang and Bartholomay (no idea how to spell his name). Pairs were my favorite discipline, and it's almost unwatchable on the world scene, but particularly bad in the US.

However, this young pair skates with joy, and I like that. They also won one of the summer competitions, which will do their confidence some good.

Other than pairs, US seems in good shape, with very young champions or heirs to the throne that will go through the next Olympic cycle. Canada may be in even better shape.

Some lady in Japan will step up. There's too much money to be made by talented female athletes in Japan for someone not to grab the reins.

I had hoped Yuna would be the beginning of a surge in Korean skating, similar to how Midori Ito ignited Japanese interests, but I'm afraid she'll be Korea's one-hit wonder.

Whatever happened to British skating? They had gold medalists in three straight Olympics 76-80-84, and then... nothing (excepting T/D's brief return). I loved all three of those gold medals!

Custom Title
    US in Pairs seems to be on a upswing. I think K/S have medal potential in the future especially with the top teams most likely retiring.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    ^^^ drifting slightly off topic...

I hope US pairs have a change of fortunes. I really like the US Bronze Medalists, Zhang and Bartholomay (no idea how to spell his name). Pairs were my favorite discipline, and it's almost unwatchable on the world scene, but particularly bad in the US.

However, this young pair skates with joy, and I like that. They also won one of the summer competitions, which will do their confidence some good.
    Tonto, your spelling is impeccable.
    And your taste in this case is too, IMHO. Zhang/ Bartholomay have an "it" quality in my estimation as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2