Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Philip Hersh Journalist?

Philip Hersh Journalist?

Why is this man calling himself a journalist. No insight, objectivity or intelligent analysis he is lazy.

On a day where Miki Ando made a comeback

Ashley Cain had a good short program

This is what he tweets

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
    Not good news for figure skating that the sport's only current great athlete, Kim Yuna of South Korea, sidelined by a foot injury

Don't get me wrong Yuna Kim's injury is important news for the skating world, but for someone who calls him self a journalist to dismiss the efforts of other athletes with that ugly tweet explains why the sport is the way it is in the U.S

People where complaining about TSL, but at least they don't take themselves so seriously.

His tweet was so stupid Lynn Rutherford (icenetwork had to check him)

Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Why is this man calling himself a journalist. No insight, objectivity or intelligent analysis he is lazy.

On a day where Miki Ando made a comeback

Ashley Cain had a good short program

This is what he tweets

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
    Not good news for figure skating that the sport's only current great athlete, Kim Yuna of South Korea, sidelined by a foot injury

Don't get me wrong Yuna Kim's injury is important news for the skating world, but for someone who calls him self a journalist to dismiss the efforts of other athletes with that ugly tweet explains why the sport is the way it is in the U.S

People where complaining about TSL, but at least they don't take themselves so seriously.

His tweet was so stupid Lynn Rutherford (icenetwork had to check him)
    Why is he not a journalist? Do you think the news that the current WC and defending Oly Champ is injured and out of GP-series is not newsworthy? So talking about it is making him non-journalist? I don't get it.

I guess we can debate whether or not he should've labeled Yuna "the sport's only current great athlete", but I'm not too surprised he feels that way about Yuna based on her performance in Vancouver & last WC. Even here, many wondered if Yuna is going to be the one to beat in Sochi.

Also he doesn't just cover FS. He covers other sports that are far more popular in the States than FS.

^I suppose the dispute is over his rather biased reporting (which is frequent and nothing new). He's very transparent about his favorites and non-favorites, and is often considered "harsh".

"Journalism" is something people tend to associate with neutral and "objective" reporting, at least "good" journalism. The journalist is not supposed to insert his own personal opinion on the matter. Calling Yuna the "only" current great athlete of (ladies) figure skating is denigrating to other "great" current figure skaters.

Columnist
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    ^I suppose the dispute is over his rather biased reporting (which is frequent and nothing new). He's very transparent about his favorites and non-favorites, and is often considered "harsh".

"Journalism" is something people tend to associate with neutral and "objective" reporting, at least "good" journalism. The journalist is not supposed to insert his own personal opinion on the matter. Calling Yuna the "only" current great athlete of (ladies) figure skating is denigrating to other "great" current figure skaters.
    Hm, I agree with you that a journalist should be a neutral instance, but then again you should give your personal opinion about things. If you dont, your reports and analysis sound flat and un-emotional in my opinion. I always write my personal opinions and feelings down, yes I only work part time (maybe because of that?) but I do consider a good journalist someone that can report about everyone and not just about 1 or 2 athlets etc. but still does have a heart. We journalists are no robots, but human beings and those have a heart

There is nothing worse than a TV broadcast where the guy on the microphone just say "Look a goal was just scored, they skated ok..."

Custom Title
    Phil Harsh

Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    Hm, I agree with you that a journalist should be a neutral instance, but then again you should give your personal opinion about things. If you dont, your reports and analysis sound flat and un-emotional in my opinion. I always write my personal opinions and feelings down, yes I only work part time (maybe because of that?) but I do consider a good journalist someone that can report about everyone and not just about 1 or 2 athlets etc. but still does have a heart. We journalists are no robots, but human beings and those have a heart

There is nothing worse than a TV broadcast where the guy on the microphone just say "Look a goal was just scored, they skated ok..."
    I dont have a problem with opinion journalism, but to dissmiss the effort of other athletes is unaceptable. Reporting about Kim Yunas injuries is news but declaring that the sport has no great athletes is lazy journalism

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Why is he not a journalist? Do you think the news that the current WC and defending Oly Champ is injured and out of GP-series is not newsworthy? So talking about it is making him non-journalist? I don't get it.

I guess we can debate whether or not he should've labeled Yuna "the sport's only current great athlete", but I'm not too surprised he feels that way about Yuna based on her performance in Vancouver & last WC. Even here, many wondered if Yuna is going to be the one to beat in Sochi.

Also he doesn't just cover FS. He covers other sports that are far more popular in the States than FS.
    Did you miss the where I said he should report it my only beef with him is tweet calling one person the only great athlete of a sport .

what do we expect? hersh is always been like that.. he's selective and sometimes he's a bandwagoner.. he called out yuna's sp score in his article in 2011 and criticized the judges.. nothing new..

Custom Title
    Tweet is not a journalistic media. It is simply a private thing and his tweeting was never a journalistic activity.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Tweet is not a journalistic media. It is simply a private thing and his tweeting was never a journalistic activity.
    Bingo! Tweeting is not journalistic media. And most journalists do have opinions - just like normal people. There is frankly no such thing as a journalist who doesn't have an opinion or preferences. It just depends on how and when or if that opinion is introduced in a straight news article.

Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Did you miss the where I said he should report it my only beef with him is tweet calling one person the only great athlete of a sport .
    It's just a tweet FFS. Is he not allowed to enjoy the 1st Amendment and say what he wants on his private Tweet stream? It's not like he wrote that in an article for the Chicago Tribune.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post

The thing is this is all still relatively new, this tweeting thing, and I wonder if it is a bit of a no-mans land where we're still working out out if it is fruit or vegetable meaning he is a journalist making a personal comment but which everyone gets to read.

skating philosopher
    You can look at that way: Hersh's Twitter profile is part of his professional brand.

However, Hersh being opinionated isn't new; his blog is full of it.

I do disagree with his assertion that Yuna is the "only great athlete" among all single skaters. However he does provide a good case for his reasoning in his follow up tweet:

@LynnRutherford Yuna's 2010 Oly skates (and 2013 worlds skates) put her in a class by herself. It's like major leagues and Class AA
    Yuna has never been off the podium in her entire senior career, even in 2007 and 2008 when she was dealing with some major injuries. That speaks to her determination, athleticism and competitive spirit.

Currently there's no other single skater who has the same track record. Pretty much ever elite skater out there has finished off-the-podium at some point. Even Patrick Chan.

And the fact Yuna came back from a year away and basically gave two very awesome performances to win her second title speaks volumes too.

So I think Hersh has a case to make his opinion, even if I don't agree with it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    I was going to say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    It's just a tweet FFS. Is he not allowed to enjoy the 1st Amendment and say what he wants on his private Tweet stream? It's not like he wrote that in an article for the Chicago Tribune.
    tweet feeds aren't private, though they can be personal. being private would negate the purpose.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast