Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IceNetwork season pass

Hybrid View

IceNetwork season pass

I don't remember if we have discussed it before, but I am planning to buy the IceNetwork season pass for the first time, since there are some interesting skaters at the U.S. Classics and Nebelhorn that I would really like to watch, and, since I live in Italy, I can't watch the U.S. Championships live, and many times the GPs (even if the Italian television shows most of them) are not broadcasted live, the same for 4CC... Is it worth those 50 dollars? Have you tried it?

Miserere Nobis
    I'm wondering the same thing, although if I'm going to be totally realistic, I won't have the time to watch everything I'd like to.

Custom Title
    I bought it last year even though I was Australian because I was desperate to see the short programs from US Nationals.

The only problem is the blackouts. Classic? Blacked out. Even the on-demand videos are, you guessed it, blacked out. I think I could watch Nationals live, but the GP's were on-demand anyway.

IceNetwork is not a very friendly site for those of us in non-skating minority countries.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I bought it last year even though I was Australian because I was desperate to see the short programs from US Nationals.

The only problem is the blackouts. Classic? Blacked out. Even the on-demand videos are, you guessed it, blacked out. I think I could watch Nationals live, but the GP's were on-demand anyway.

IceNetwork is not a very friendly site for those of us in non-skating minority countries.
    So there may be limitations because I live in Italy?

Custom Title
    Here is the list of competitions that are "blacked out" for non-US viewers. That is, the ones those of us outside the US can't watch, not even on demand.

2013 U.S. International Classic (Sept. 11-15, 2013)
    2013 Nebelhorn Trophy (Sept. 25-28, 2013)
    2013 Skate America (Oct. 18-20, 2013)
    2013 Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27, 2013)
    2013 Cup of China (Nov. 1-3, 2013)
    2013 NHK Trophy (Nov. 8-10, 2013)
    2013 Trophee Eric Bompard (Nov. 15-17, 2013)
    2013 Rostelecom Cup (Nov. 22-24, 2013)
    2013 Junior/Senior Grand Prix Final (Dec. 5-8, 2013)
    2014 Four Continents Championships (Jan. 20-26, 2014)
    2014 World Junior Figure Skating Championships (March 10-16, 2014)
    2014 World Figure Skating Championships (March 24-30, 2014)
    2014 World Synchronized Skating Championships (April 4-5, 2014)

So...pretty much everything I was looking forward to except Russian and US Nationals and Euros. Oh and the Olympics.

I just don't get it. Is it really so hard to make these available in minority skating countries who are lucky to get figure skating on telly once every four years? Even if they're not live, just the on-demand stuff, why can't the on-demand stuff be available elsewhere?

You also used to be able to buy single-event passes. Not anymore. And I don't know if I would consider paying $50 just for the privilege of watching US Nationals and maybe Euros (IDK if they have Euros this season).

The full list including speed skating events that are blacked out is on IceNetwork's site here.

they have to follow the law of international media online (copyright/broadcasting rights/etc).

Rinkside
    upppppppppppppppppp

Custom Title
    Prices keep rising by $10 every year for the basic figure skating feature.

Miserere Nobis
    I noticed that, but I went ahead and bought the subscription anyway. I'll watch as much as I can -- at any rate, it's far cheaper than going to the events!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Welcome to goldenskate tui1gang!

Custom Title
    I'm not sure why people are complaining about the price for a IN subscription. I don't think IN has ever shown as many big events live as they will this season. They are even showing Europeans Championships about the only big event they are not showing is of course the Olympics.

i've bought it every year since IN opened their website...so 6 seasons. this will be 7. it's worth it.

Custom Title
    It's worth it if you're in the US, and especially if you're interested in the lower-level qualifying competitions. It's worth it for me.

If you're somewhere else in the world and have to pay full price but will only get to see a small percentage of their offerings because of geoblocking, then it might not be worth it, unless you really want to see those particular events.

Rinkside
    dorispulaski - I really hope there's work going on. Right now the site seems pretty dysfunctional.

I am thrilled at the number of events they're offering live this year. I subscribed a few years ago and it was only sort of worth it, but I am happy to pay $50 for the list they have for this season. And I am rarely happy to pay $50 for anything. We don't have a cable subscription so I've only ever been able to watch live whatever Universal Sports decided they were going to broadcast live (not much). So excited about my subscription this season!

Custom Title
    I'm struggling with the new site. Impossible to find archived video. The "look" is more modern but more difficult to navigate. Many athletes no longer have profiles, or maybe it is just difficult to find them or they haven't been updated. Seems to me like the launch of the combination with speed skating was planned with an updated "look" but as far as I'm concerned, I'm so far a frustrated and underwhelmed user.

Sharper cleaner looks are fine but less content and more difficult to navigate... that gets low marks from me. GOE -2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast