Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Results 76 to 82 of 82

Thread: IceNetwork season pass

  1. #76
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St Louis Metro area
    Posts
    175
    This is nothing new. They've been clueless for years. Whoever does their staff writing is perhaps more attuned to baseball or another sport.

    My favorite IN title was "Czisny goes under the knife". (correct- she had surgery, but to say that about Alissa shows whoever wrote it has not a clue about who she is)

    I don't subscribe for the articles. That's probably a good thing, because with the new **** format, I'd never be able to find what I wanted anyway.

  2. #77
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    My favorite IN title was "Czisny goes under the knife". (correct- she had surgery, but to say that about Alissa shows whoever wrote it has not a clue about who she is)
    I am quite confused about this statement. What was wrong with that headline? She had surgery. "going under the knife" is slang for surgery. What's wrong with that?

  3. #78
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St Louis Metro area
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I am quite confused about this statement. What was wrong with that headline? She had surgery. "going under the knife" is slang for surgery. What's wrong with that?
    It's something you might write about a football player or Monster Truck Driver...not the beautiful, elegant, former US champion, Alissa. It just struck me as WRONG, even though the facts were correct. Part of it was the timing and context

  4. #79
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,213
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    My favorite IN title was "Czisny goes under the knife". (correct- she had surgery, but to say that about Alissa shows whoever wrote it has not a clue about who she is)
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    It's something you might write about a football player or Monster Truck Driver...not the beautiful, elegant, former US champion, Alissa. It just struck me as WRONG, even though the facts were correct. Part of it was the timing and context
    To defend IN in this case:
    Not fair to say that the person who wrote the headline has no clue as to who Czisny is.
    For IN's readership, she is first and foremost an athlete (just like a football player), and she had surgery.
    The same tone that you would deem appropriate for a football player is not inappropriate for Czisny, IMHO. The headline does not negate her beauty and elegance. YMMV.

    I would note that SEO strategy usually determines how online headlines are composed. For that reason, I believe that they often are not as "literary" as headlines from the olden days that were written only for traditional hard-copy newspapers and magazines.
    (If an SEO expert is out there, please correct me if I am mistaken.)

  5. #80
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    It's something you might write about a football player or Monster Truck Driver...not the beautiful, elegant, former US champion, Alissa. It just struck me as WRONG, even though the facts were correct. Part of it was the timing and context
    An athlete has surgery. They go under the knife. Not wrong, just factual. Alissa's grace or elegance has absolutely nothing to do with it. A headline is a headline, and "Csziny goes under the knife" is a whole lot more catchy and eye-drawing than "Csziny has surgery."

  6. #81
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    The same tone that you would deem appropriate for a football player is not inappropriate for Czisny, IMHO.
    suggesting Figure Skating is not a sport? what makes her different - other than she wears a tutu and is in an individual sport to that of a team sport?


    actually most articles about football players facing surgery do not get titled "so and so goes under the knife"

  7. #82
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,213
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    To defend IN in this case:
    Not fair to say that the person who wrote the headline has no clue as to who Czisny is.
    For IN's readership, she is first and foremost an athlete (just like a football player), and she had surgery.
    The same tone that you would deem appropriate for a football player is not inappropriate for Czisny, IMHO. The headline does not negate her beauty and elegance. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    suggesting Figure Skating is not a sport? what makes her different - other than she wears a tutu and is in an individual sport to that of a team sport?


    actually most articles about football players facing surgery do not get titled "so and so goes under the knife"
    I am the one who said above that Czisny IS NO different from a football player. Have no idea why you think my opinion is otherwise.

    FWIW, it took me mere seconds to find four random headlines about football players going under the knife.
    No doubt that countless more are out there.

    - "Seahawks WR Sidney Rice goes under the knife"
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...?urn=nfl-wp714

    - "Gronkowski goes under the knife"
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...nder-the-knife

    - "Christian Ponder Goes Under the Knife: 2011 NFL Draft Stock Plummets"
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...stock-plummets

    - "Cash goes under the knife"
    http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...der-the-knife/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •