IceNetwork season pass | Golden Skate

IceNetwork season pass

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I don't remember if we have discussed it before, but I am planning to buy the IceNetwork season pass for the first time, since there are some interesting skaters at the U.S. Classics and Nebelhorn that I would really like to watch, and, since I live in Italy, I can't watch the U.S. Championships live, and many times the GPs (even if the Italian television shows most of them) are not broadcasted live, the same for 4CC... Is it worth those 50 dollars? Have you tried it?

ForeverFish

Medalist
I'm wondering the same thing, although if I'm going to be totally realistic, I won't have the time to watch everything I'd like to.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I bought it last year even though I was Australian because I was desperate to see the short programs from US Nationals.

The only problem is the blackouts. Classic? Blacked out. Even the on-demand videos are, you guessed it, blacked out. I think I could watch Nationals live, but the GP's were on-demand anyway.

IceNetwork is not a very friendly site for those of us in non-skating minority countries.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I bought it last year even though I was Australian because I was desperate to see the short programs from US Nationals.

The only problem is the blackouts. Classic? Blacked out. Even the on-demand videos are, you guessed it, blacked out. I think I could watch Nationals live, but the GP's were on-demand anyway.

IceNetwork is not a very friendly site for those of us in non-skating minority countries.
So there may be limitations because I live in Italy?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here is the list of competitions that are "blacked out" for non-US viewers. That is, the ones those of us outside the US can't watch, not even on demand.

2013 U.S. International Classic (Sept. 11-15, 2013)
2013 Nebelhorn Trophy (Sept. 25-28, 2013)
2013 Skate America (Oct. 18-20, 2013)
2013 Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27, 2013)
2013 Cup of China (Nov. 1-3, 2013)
2013 NHK Trophy (Nov. 8-10, 2013)
2013 Trophee Eric Bompard (Nov. 15-17, 2013)
2013 Rostelecom Cup (Nov. 22-24, 2013)
2013 Junior/Senior Grand Prix Final (Dec. 5-8, 2013)
2014 Four Continents Championships (Jan. 20-26, 2014)
2014 World Junior Figure Skating Championships (March 10-16, 2014)
2014 World Figure Skating Championships (March 24-30, 2014)
2014 World Synchronized Skating Championships (April 4-5, 2014)

So...pretty much everything I was looking forward to except Russian and US Nationals and Euros. Oh and the Olympics.

I just don't get it. Is it really so hard to make these available in minority skating countries who are lucky to get figure skating on telly once every four years? Even if they're not live, just the on-demand stuff, why can't the on-demand stuff be available elsewhere?

You also used to be able to buy single-event passes. Not anymore. And I don't know if I would consider paying $50 just for the privilege of watching US Nationals and maybe Euros (IDK if they have Euros this season).

The full list including speed skating events that are blacked out is on IceNetwork's site here.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they have to follow the law of international media online (copyright/broadcasting rights/etc).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
they have to follow the law of international media online (copyright/broadcasting rights/etc).

But no-one HAS the broadcast rights to ANY of these events in Australia! Why can minority countries not at the very least view the ondemand stuff?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
But no-one HAS the broadcast rights to ANY of these events in Australia! Why can minority countries not at the very least view the ondemand stuff?

but whatever country is actually hosting them DOES have broadcasting rights. they make the rules. It probably has more to do with different countries and how international broadcasting works online. That and I'm sure the ISU may have something to do with it as well, I know IceNetwork has to contract with them to show any of the ISU events. :disapp:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So I would spend 50 dollars (37 Euros) just to watch two events?! But that's absurde! And, for example, aren't the US classics organized by the US federation? They should allow IceNetwork to show at least that event worldwide...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Fortunately our YLE streamed GP´s and Worlds live last season and I´d suppose the same plus the Olympics to happen also this season. From the rest one will find videoclips...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
BTW, icentwork has completely changed their format & structure. Be sure that all your plugins for it, like Flashplayer & Java, are updated. I think there is still work going on, so I won't speak about what does and does not yet work for me.

They are also carrying speed skating, which is a separate subscription.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I noticed that, but I went ahead and bought the subscription anyway. I'll watch as much as I can -- at any rate, it's far cheaper than going to the events!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure why people are complaining about the price for a IN subscription. I don't think IN has ever shown as many big events live as they will this season. They are even showing Europeans Championships about the only big event they are not showing is of course the Olympics.

macy

Record Breaker
i've bought it every year since IN opened their website...so 6 seasons. this will be 7. it's worth it.

gkelly

Record Breaker
It's worth it if you're in the US, and especially if you're interested in the lower-level qualifying competitions. It's worth it for me.

If you're somewhere else in the world and have to pay full price but will only get to see a small percentage of their offerings because of geoblocking, then it might not be worth it, unless you really want to see those particular events.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Previous years, IN charged $10 extra during the year for some of the big added events. This year the price of the big events is included in the initial subscription.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Previous years, IN charged $10 extra during the year for some of the big added events. This year the price of the big events is included in the initial subscription.

Not only that but we are getting events that we've never had before such as the European championships and Nebelhorn. Also 4CC's which the IN only showed live once i believe back in 2012.