Thread: salchow - how long to hold back edge?

4th Time Around

salchow - how long to hold back edge?

When doing a salchow from an outside 3-turn, how long typically should the back edge be held? Maybe in terms of a count (1234 sort of)?

Thanks

Tripping on the Podium
    You mean the edge immediately preceding the jump? My coach talks of the take-off for the salchow as being a waltz three, so you should be able to count 1-2-3-turn-4-5-6 before the actual jump. If you are unable to hold the exit of the 3 turn as long as the edge leading into it I would suspect you are not checking the turn sufficiently.

Custom Title
    I think my current coach has said to hold the back edge twice as long as the forward edge leading into the three. (She has definitely said that about the inside three going into a toe loop)

I've also been told to think the phrase "I like seven up" and to turn on the "like" and jump on the "up" -- which more or less amounts to the same thing.

4th Time Around
    I was worried that I might be waiting too long. Ever since getting the new skates, I have not been able to do a salchow even though I could with the old skates. Turns feel different and my timing is "off".

4th Time Around
    Does anyone here do salchows from a mohawk rather than a 3-turn? I am thinking about trying it that way.

I used to, but have been broken of that. The biggest issue doing it from a mohawk is that the back inside edge gets too deep and the trajectory isn't nice and long which makes getting over the landing side harder (at least on multirev jumps) unless you have a dancer's quality mohawk.

4th Time Around
    Won't be doing anything now, because I broke my wrist doing a stupid simple back mohawk.

4th Time Around
    The dr said I can skate with the cast

Custom Title
    You can avoid the takeoff edge from going too deep by checking your free leg and right arm (assuming you jump CCW).

Another tip when you check the 3-turn hold your right arm behind you will also help drive the rotation when you pull it in and upwards on take off. I once had a coach jokingly say, "Your right arm should feel like it's touching a wall behind you and then as you jump, you uppercut your right boob. You know, if you had boobs."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAhHNsT1Ic8 (notice how Chipeur's right arm stays back instead of swinging around when he 3-turns.... and also his free leg position staying back instead of immediately swinging around so he can ride the back edge).

4th Time Around
    Thanks for the arm tip. I'm not sure if I already make sure it's held back or not, but that just means I have not been paying attention to it. So when I can jump again, I'll see what happens (don't want to jump with the cast). (BTW, I go clockwise)

Quote Originally Posted by treesprite View Post
    Does anyone here do salchows from a mohawk rather than a 3-turn? I am thinking about trying it that way.
    I do both. I was taught from a Mohawk first, then learned 3-turn. So I didn't have a question how long to hold before take off (at least for a single jump).

4th Time Around
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    I do both. I was taught from a Mohawk first, then learned 3-turn. So I didn't have a question how long to hold before take off (at least a single jump).
    I don't think I'll try re-learning double sals with the osteoporosis as I have.