Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Wakaba Higuchi

Tripping on the Podium pyri_mids's Avatar

Wakaba Higuchi

I think Wakaba's had a FANTASTIC Junior debut season, and I'm so excited to see where she develops in the future! Her speed across the ice and powerful jumps are simply outstanding, and I hope she goes for the 3A sometime in the future!

Hopefully I will be able to share more fun pictures/videos soon

Also this is my first post in the forum after lurking for quite a while! I'm glad I can start her fan-fest page!

ISU Bio
    Last edited by pyri_mids; 05-05-2015 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added ISU bio

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    I like this girl's huge jumps and speed. I hope she will get better chorography next season.

Custom Title
    I am waiting for this thread for soooo long... thank you, I used to try to find Team Japan fan thread to post my appreciation of wakababy.
    wakababy is very cute

Custom Title
    also, I have read across figure skating boards that, general perception of wakababy's performance is that it make people feels good. perhaps not the best choreo. but it make people feels good!
    another thing is that, I started to detect some facial expression range of wakababy, her LP and ex, she makes some really dramatic faces in LP, but ex, it just really feels music face, nothing cheesy.

Cheering Wildly from the stands
    She's wonderful. She makes me smile.

I agree with the better choreography for next season. I think with this season, we've been able to know more about her skating style and what music choices/choreography would work for her. It would be cool if she skated to some really powerful or dramatic music! I think she could pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by pyri_mids View Post
    I agree with the better choreography for next season. I think with this season, we've been able to know more about her skating style and what music choices/choreography would work for her. It would be cool if she skated to some really powerful or dramatic music! I think she could pull it off.
    By the way, welcome to Golden Skate!

Thank you! I've been lurking on the forums for about a year haha probably too intimidated to post anything until now!

Quote Originally Posted by pyri_mids View Post
    Thank you! I've been lurking on the forums for about a year haha probably too intimidated to post anything until now!
    Post often and long! Don't worry, our bark is worse than our bite.
    And back to Wakaba, I loved her reaction to her FS score in the kiss and cry.

Happy at the high score, and then, Oh NO! I'm not first. She's got a very transparent personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbiespectator View Post
    Post often and long! Don't worry, our bark is worse than our bite.
    And back to Wakaba, I loved her reaction to her FS score in the kiss and cry.

Happy at the high score, and then, Oh NO! I'm not first. She's got a very transparent personality.
    Thank you! I'm excited to meet new people

And I completely agree! When she doesn't nail her programs you can see that she's visibly upset. I felt kind of bad for her when she saw her placement after the free skate.

thanks for starting the thread and welcome, great 1st post!! i like her a lot too, she is so daring when skating, she looks at you (judges) and dare them not to like her, she needs to control her emotions after she make mistakes during the program but at the same time that what makes her breath of fresh air, wishing good luck to her for next season ans hoping for better programs

Tripping on the Podium
    I wonder...who will be the most suitable choreographer to bring out Wakaba's artistic side?

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cohkaix View Post
    I wonder...who will be the most suitable choreographer to bring out Wakaba's artistic side?
    Tom Dickson?

optimistic yet oh so pessimistic sunny_stars's Avatar
    Jeffrey Buttle?

Custom Title
    I'm not usually one to call myself a "fan" of someone so young, and with such a short career so far.
    But Wakaba is pretty exceptional...

Her technical skating skills are spectacular by any standards, not just "for a junior" - especially her speed and attack, and huge jumps. She is already getting level 4's on her steps and spins. Her exhibition routine shows that she is also very capable of skating with grace and elegance too.

But it takes "something more" than just good skating to make me a fan. There are many skaters who I admire for their skill, yet they don't really interest me enough to be a "fan". And some who are frankly lacking in skill, yet they have what it takes to me make me a fan!

I think Wakaba has both the skating skills and that extra "something". It's hard to define what that something is, but part of it is her personality - she seems ambitious, determined, fiercely competitive, and quite self-confident (amazing for someone so young, and born into Japanese culture). She seems cheerful and outgoing, and I like what I've seen of her attitude. I also find her skating fun and enjoyable to watch, she makes me smile and laugh and go "wow".

It's way too early to predict how her career will go - but it looks very promising so far! Great results this year - Junior National champion... bronze medals at the Junior Grand Prix Final, Japan Nationals, and the Junior World Championships - and really, I think she deserved the silver at World's.

I saw her free skate at the GPF in Barcelona, you can see some of my photos --> HERE
    She is a such a dynamo! Shame we didn't arrive in time for the junior short programs... :-/

I'm looking forward to seeing how she does next season - especially after reading this:
    "I haven't been able to train any quads because I've had so many competitions, but I'm really working hard on the triple Axel. At the moment, I'm about a quarter of a rotation short." (source)

PS. Loved the banners for Wakaba at Worlds: "Super Sonic Girl" :-D
    Last edited by YesWay; 03-11-2015 at 07:13 AM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast