Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Australian figure skaters

Hybrid View

#TeamAUS

News Australian figure skaters

Welcome Everyone!

Hey Golden Skate! Welcome to the "Australian Figure Skaters" thread. This page is dedicated to keeping you updated on the latest news about Australian Figure Skating. Also, feel free to discuss here too about Australian Skating...or any figure skaters (There is a good chance that I will be talking about other skating athletes as well)!

All the best of luck to all our skaters this Olympic Season.

Below is a link to previous articles from an archived blog about Australian Figure Skaters.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...he-AOC-website
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Now some updates on the Australian Olympic Committee website. They have a site dedicated to the Sochi Games.

Summer in Michigan: Danielle and Greg's Blog

"As Australians we regularly get asked with confused looks ‘why are you living in Michigan?’

Aside from the obvious reasons; access to world class coaching and training conditions which the Detroit Skating Club has to offer, the beauty of Michigan’s parks and lakes provide a great escape from the intensity of summer training when we leave the rink..."

Article Written by Danielle O'Brien for the Australian Olympic Committee
    Published on August 12, 2013

Link to Article Below
    http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/blo...nd-greg-s-blog

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Graduation, holidays and next stop - Australia! Brooklee's Blog

*This article was published before Brooklee had to withdraw due to illness

"It has been a long time since I sat down to write. I was not sure why until I decided to write about what I have been up to since May..."

Article Written by Brooklee Han for the Australian Olympic Committee
    Published on August 15, 2013

Link to Article Below
    http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/blo...rooklee-s-blog

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Family affair for Sydney skaters

"As figure skater Chantelle Kerry aims at selection for Sochi, she does so with the support of her family behind her all the way.

The young Sydney skater is coached by her mother, Monica MacDonald – herself a figure skating Olympian from the 1988 Calgary Games, where she competed in ice dancing alongside Rodney Clarke..."

Article Written by Alice Wheeler for the Australian Olympic Committee
    Published on August 14, 2013

Link to Article Below
    http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/new...sydney-skaters

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Skate Down Under

Video Gallery of Skate Down Under
    http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/med...09005056A37760

Day One recap + a video report
    http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/new...ate-down-under

Day Two recap + a video report
    http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/new...ight-up-sydney

Custom Title
    Additional: Australian male skaters have the most awesome classy costumes. The only two blunders I saw at SDU were David Kranjec's tattered knees on his LP costume, and I wasn't all that keen on Andrew Dodds' clown in the SP. But otherwise, my goodness. The winners for me were Jordan Dodds and Brendan Kerry; proving simple is often better.

#TeamAUS

News

Brendan Kerry in bronze medal position

"Following his win at Skate Down Under in Sydney last week, Australian figure skater Brendan Kerry is sitting in third place after his short program in the season’s first International Skating Union’s Junior Grand Prix in Riga, Latvia..."

Article from the Australian Olympic Committee
    Published on August 29, 2013

Link to Article Below
    http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/new...medal-position

*Also, follow link at the bottom of the article to watch Brendan's short program!
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Meet Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman: champion ice dancers and petrolheads

"AUSTRALIA'S best ice dancing pair are revheads who attend street drag races in America's toughest city Detroit. Go figure..."

Article Written by Anthony Sharwood for www.news.com.au (News Corp)
    Published on August 24, 2013

Link to Article Below
    Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...#ixzz2g3dF7pDq

Custom Title
    This is SO exciting. I think it would be Australia's first JGP medal if he could pull it off.

I hope he tries the quad!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Anthony Liu was skating for China when he was a junior, so I don't think he did. He won Nepala & Karl Schaeffer when he was an Australian though.

Did Cameron Medhurst ever skate juniors internationally? I can't tell from his Wikipedia bio.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Did Cameron Medhurst ever skate juniors internationally? I can't tell from his Wikipedia bio.
    I don't know, but the JGP is only a fairly new concept, isn't it? The last ten years or so?

Custom Title
    !!! This is so exciting! It was wonderful to watch Brendan live in Sydney! Not very coherent at the moment! !

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Cat View Post
    !!! This is so exciting! It was wonderful to watch Brendan live in Sydney! Not very coherent at the moment! !
    I'm with you Orange Cat! The sound I made this morning when I woke up and found out was somewhere between a squeal, a squeak, and a shriek!

And better yet, tomorrow night Brendan will skate at a CIVILISED hour of the day for Australians - the men's long program starts at 6pm AEST! Brendan will skate last again! Will he try the quad?

Custom Title
    Everything about this is so exciting! Even if he doesn't go for the quad he has such a beautiful 3a-3t. Quads are nice but being clean is nicer (I think). Ahh!!

Custom Title
    Brendan into 3rd overall, 1st non-qual skater with 1 group remaining!

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Brendan into 3rd overall, 1st non-qual skater with 1 group remaining!
    This is a super exciting day for Australia. Hold on to your hats- the free program competition will be fierce!!

Custom Title
    Exciting to see strengthening performances from Australian skaters. I'm sure there are many athletes who love to compete in Australia.

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Exciting to see strengthening performances from Australian skaters. I'm sure there are many athletes who love to compete in Australia.
    Me too. It's exciting that these skaters are willing to push themselves. Coaching changes to the United States have also contributed to this improvement. I hope that these improvements will encourage more Australian skaters to push and see that it is possible to make it if they are willing to put the work into it!

#TeamAUS

Thumbs up

Men's Short Program

Skater: Brendan Kerry

This short program was such a great skate for him. He managed to execute everything so well, with great speed and power. It is also great that he is using his edges to generate speed- it's both effective and aesthetically pleasing.

His triple lutz-triple toeloop combination had great speed and control throughout, the triple axel had that snap which we all know and love. I thought that he should've put in the triple flip instead of the triple loop but since he does the Junior Grand Prix (and this season, all Junior skaters have to do a loop jump) it's understandable. He also received levels 3s and 4s for the spins and step sequences. Technically, to take it to the next level he and his coaching team need to look at the GOE criteria and find out what they can do so he can squeeze out more points!

His components have also seen a massive boost- especially his skating skills. His use of his edges and his knees have helped boost that mark. I felt that some of the judges under marked Brendan (one of the judges awarded him only a 4.75 for transitions...CRAZY!). In saying that, in order for Brendan to improve he needs to integrate more intricate choreography and use more facial expression to try and better portray and interpret what his program is about. His transitions are already difficult and he can transition well but he can benefit by reaching out to the audience better instead of looking like he's thinking through his program. If he can do this, his performance/execution, choreography and Interpretation components can improve!

Nevertheless, he had the moment and he was richly rewarded for it. Well done!

Technical Elements
    (Element: BV+GOE=TOTAL)
    3Lz+3T: 10.10+0.60=10.70
    3A: 8.50+0.86=9.36
    CCSp3: 2.80+0.00=2.80
    3Lox [10% Bonus for being in the second half]: 5.61+0.00=5.61
    StSq3: 3.30+0.21=3.51
    FSSp4: 3.00+0.00=3.00
    CCoSp4: 3.50+0.10=3.60
    Technical Elements 38.58

Presentation factored by X1.0
    Skating Skills (Range of marks 5.25-6.50) >>> 6.14
    Transition/Linking Footwork (Range of marks 4.75-7.00) >>> 5.64
    Performance/Execution (Range of marks 5.25-6.26) >>> 5.89
    Choreography/Composition (Range of marks 5.00-6.50) >>> 5.93
    Interpretation (Range of marks 5.25-6.50) >>> 5.79
    Presentation Score after factoring by X1.0 29.39

Total Score for the Short Program 67.97
    Rank after SP: 5th/34 Skaters
    Rank after SP amongst skaters looking for Olympic Qualification: 1st/26 Skaters

Podium Results after SP
    1. Nobunari Oda JPN 87.34
    2. Jason Brown USA 79.41
    3. Jeremy Ten CAN 76.49
    ---------------------------------------------
    4. Artur Dmitriev RUS 73.39

__________________________________________________ __
    Skaters in Qualification Position
    1. Brendan Kerry AUS 67.97 (5th)
    2. Zoltan Kelemen ROU 65.52 (6th)
    3. Ronald Lam HKG 64.55 (7th)
    4. Alexei Bychenko ISR 64.50 (8th)
    5. Yakov Godorozha UKR 63.68 (9th)
    6. Paul Bonifacio Parkinson ITA 63.37 (10th)
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Michael Christian Martinez PHI 61.55 (11th)
    Stephane Walker SUI 60.50 (12th)
    Kim Lucine MON 59.28 (13th)
    Maciej Cieplucha POL 58.26 (15th)
    Valtter Virtanen FIN 55.55 (16th)
    Justus Strid DEN 55.28 (17th)

Current Status to Qualify: IN GOOD CONTENTION TO QUALIFY

Video Link to his Short Program
    British Eurosport- Commentators Simon Reed & Nicky Slater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coVZOke8cM4

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    I felt that some of the judges under marked Brendan (one of the judges awarded him only a 4.75 for transitions...CRAZY!).
    Probably the same judge that awarded Jason Brown - Jason, of all people! - a 5!!!!!!!! for transitions...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast