Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian figure skaters

Custom Title
    I have always loved Brooklee Han and her FS was to die for. She not only was the top qualifier for the Olympics, but she earned ISU points for finishing 5th at Nebelhorn. I hope she is the one who gets to go to Sochi.

Custom Title
    *dancing around in a circle*

On the flip side, I had a strange nightmare last night that O'Brien and Merriman split. When I woke up my hand was on my phone ready to check and make sure it wasn't real! Yikes! I think I'm oversaturated with skating!

#TeamAUS

Exclamation

Final Day Information

The final day of competition is an exciting make or break situation for Australia. If Australia can secure additional spots in the Men's and Ice Dance, the joke about Australia at the Team event might not actually become a joke!

Events begins at 4:54pm AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time) with the Men's Free Skate. Brendan will be skating 31st in the final group of skaters. His warm up group is scheduled at 10pm AEST.
    If Brendan can consolidate his current placement with a solid Free Skate, Australia will have a place in the Men's competition- a sight which we haven't seen in ELEVEN years!

The final event of the Nebelhorn Trophy is the Ice Dance Free Dance- scheduled to start at 11:15pm AEST. Danielle O'Brien and Gregory Merriman are sitting in sixth place and are currently third out of the couples aiming to qualify. They will be skating 17th in the second last group which is scheduled to have its warm up just after 1:15am (Sunday) AEST. It has been TWENTY-FIVE years since the last Australian Ice Dancers competed at an Olympics- staggering but history can be re-written for sure!

All the best of luck skaters!

Custom Title
    I thought we hadn't had a dance couple since 1988 - which would be 25 years.

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I thought we hadn't had a dance couple since 1988 - which would be 25 years.
    sorry. my maths must be failing me.

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Cat View Post
    I was out last night and slept in late and woke up to read about Brooklee and Brendan- amazing!! So impressed by Brooklee in particular, for throwing everything down in the FS!
    I know! I woke up just in time to watch her skate. There is something to be said about watching skating live....you get very nervous for these individuals- certainly a different feeling compared to when you watch rugby or football when you are shouting at a tv screen!!! Watching sport is always exciting- but different sports are exciting in different ways!

#TeamAUS

News

Han secures Sochi Olympic Games spot

"Australian Brooklee Han, has secured a spot for Australia in the Ladies skating event at the 2014 Sochi Games after finishing fifth at the Olympic qualifying event in Oberstdorf, Germany, Saturday morning (Australian time).

Han was placed 10th in the Ladies event after the short program, but then produced the skate of her life in the free program to move up five places..."

Article Written for the OWIA (Olympic Winter Institute of Australia)
    Published on September 28, 2013

Link to Article Below
    http://www.owia.org/sport/figure-ska...pic-games-spot

Want to wish our athletes luck? Why not Tweet them a message! I'm not a twitterer but if you are, here are some things you might like to follow.

Ice Skating Australia Twitter @IceskatingAUS https://twitter.com/IceSkatingAUS
    Dani&Greg's Twitter @obrienmerriman https://twitter.com/OBrienMerriman
    Brooklee's Twitter @brookleeh95 https://twitter.com/brookleeh95
    Brendan's Twitter @Br3ndan_ https://twitter.com/Br3ndan_

#TeamAUS
    Wow. There are some skaters in the early groups who are putting pressure on the later groups. Hold on Brendan.

#TeamAUS
    We've hit the final group. C'mon Brendan!

#TeamAUS
    I don't think it's enough for an Olympics birth. Well skated Brendan!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    I don't think it's enough for an Olympics birth. Well skated Brendan!
    No he got it! He's 3rd among the Olympic qualifiers!

#TeamAUS
    Omg omg omg omg !!!! Its enough!!!

Brendan is in the Olympics

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    No he got it! He's 3rd among the Olympic qualifiers!
    Well I must say, you can now rely alot more on your short program now! That was his saving grace

I must say that the ISU setting a Technical Minimum score must've been a blessing in disguise. In this season, all the top Aussies skaters have pushed themselves technically. And as their technique improved, so did their presentation.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    Well I must say, you can now rely alot more on your short program now! That was his saving grace
    It certainly helps when you don't have to dig out of a hole! But i think even with the mistakes, he showed some very nice jumps and in-betweens. This is a performance to build on.

#TeamAUS

Thumbs up

I agree. I loved his reaction when the head of High Performance Director of Australian figure skating, Melina Simjanovic told him "That's all you needed."
    Brendan looks so surprised.

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast