Australian figure skaters | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
Ice Dance amd Pair Free Skates at the GPF was nothing short of spectacular.

The Germans overturn the staus quo and Pang/Tong in Olympic Podium shape.

Tessa and Scott have clamped the gap pretty much shut with their American Rivals and the French dethroned the Russians off the podium. And lots of 10's for components.

Not to be mean or anything, but does this really belong here? :unsure: Isn't this a place to discuss Australian skaters? There are plenty of places for you to discuss the GPF on more relevant threads.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not to be mean or anything, but does this really belong here? :unsure: Isn't this a place to discuss Australian skaters? There are plenty of places for you to discuss the GPF on more relevant threads.

I was just thinking that.

GF, I appreciate all the analysis you do and the work you obviously put into it, but discussions about V/M/D/W, GPF, whatever, really don't go in the AUSTRALIAN figure skaters thread.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I was just thinking that.

GF, I appreciate all the analysis you do and the work you obviously put into it, but discussions about V/M/D/W, GPF, whatever, really don't go in the AUSTRALIAN figure skaters thread.

Ok. I'll stop.

GF2445

Record Breaker
WE WERE SO CLOSE TO MAKING THE TEAM EVENT!!!!!!! Team Australia is on first reserve!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Jordan Dodds for scoring a PB at the 2013 Winter Universiade and qualifying for the Free Skating Event.

Bad Luck to National Bronze Medalist Mark Webster as well as Andrew Dodds who didn't make the cut. I must admit, for a university games, this field at this Universiade is tough.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Congratulations to Jordan Dodds for scoring a PB at the 2013 Winter Universiade and qualifying for the Free Skating Event.

Bad Luck to National Bronze Medalist Mark Webster as well as Andrew Dodds who didn't make the cut. I must admit, for a university games, this field at this Universiade is tough.

Pssst, got your Doddses mixed up ;)

Andrew qualified through, Jordan missed the cut :(

Too many Doddses. :p

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Are such huge fonts necessary? They were hurting my eyes. :slink: But thanks for the reports anyway GF2445. Congrats to Chantelle!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Brooklee-An inspiration to all teenagers.

In this blog, Brooklee talks about her presentation she gave to students of her former High School about balancing skating with study and with life and let me tell you, what she does in nothing short of amazing! Even Figure Skating's largest Championships or even the Olympics are not a legitimate excuse for her not to do keep up with her studies and end up on top with her cohorts!

"BLOG: Last week I had the pleasure of returning to my High School as an Alumni.

My mum got an email from my Honours Chem teacher Dr. Nuzzo while we were in Australia for Nationals. Dr. Nuzzo was putting together a presentation for the school about how I managed school, skating and the college process and asked mum for pictures and if I would have time to answer some questions by email for the Friday the 13th program. Since we just returned from Nationals I was having a more flexible schedule of ice hours and I was able to be there in person!

It was an honour and gave me great pleasure to go back to Joel Barlow High School and be able to give back to the school that gave so much to me...."

Article Written by Brooklee Han for the Australian Olympic Committee
Published December 18, 2013

http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/blog/back-to-school-brooklee-s-blog

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I haven't heard anything. We are talking about a court here, I guess, so we can't expect it to be too speedy...

EDIT:

On the Court of Arbitration for Sport's official website:

Lausanne, 17 December 2013 - The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has registered several new appeals at its decentralised office in Sydney, Australia, including a request filed by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) on behalf of Athletics Australia for a determination from the CAS with respect to a possible whereabouts violation and, if applicable, sanction, for the Australian sprinter Joshua Ross.

The CAS Oceania Division has also been called to decide a selection dispute relating to the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games. The Australian figure skater Ms Chantelle Kerry has filed an application requesting that Ms Brooklee Han be declared ineligible for selection and that she herself be declared eligible instead.

Both procedures are being conducted by Sole Arbitrators on an expedited basis. The final decision in each matter will be issued as soon as possible.

Given that that was posted on the 17th (Tuesday), we will be lucky to know before Christmas...

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I hope Kerry and/or her parents/enablers now drop any further attempts to hinder Brooklee's career as the years progress and focus instead on Chantelle's own career. She can work hard now to try and earn her own way to the 2018 Olympics

Congratulations to Brooklee :rock: - Olympian! Now she can enjoy her holidays and focus on the Games.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow. That was faster than I expected.

Well, thank goodness that it's all over and Brooklee can focus on Sochi!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Brooklee really deserves her trip to the Olympics-my hope is that Chantelle will be an Olympian at a later Olympics-she has a lot of promise! Maybe in 2018, Australian will qualify two spots :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
And luckily we won't have to wait until then:
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8773983

Thank goodness. I hope Kerry will keep improving. She'll have her time!

Thankyou!!! :)
I'm so happy that Brooklee is being sent because she has proven that she is Australia's best female figure skating athlete. However, I don't like how this article protrays her as an intruder when they say "American born and raised, Han has spent little time in Australia but qualifies for national selection through her Australian-born father." That is simply not true. In interviews to Ice Skating Australia and on Ice Network, Brooklee clearly mentions that she has family in Australia and makes trips yearly.

If Brooklee continues to develop and work hard, I can see her in three years having a crack at a top 10 finish. I can also see Chantelle improving significantly as well by the next Olympic Cycle.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Brooklee really deserves her trip to the Olympics-my hope is that Chantelle will be an Olympian at a later Olympics-she has a lot of promise! Maybe in 2018, Australian will qualify two spots :)

Well, Chantelle IS an Olympian - she went to the Youth Olympics! Of course, it's not 'the Big One' but the athletes at the YO are still counted as Olympians and I believe their scores there count towards rankings do they not? Or I seem to recall that they did for sports like gymnastics. OT, but I was thinking that if they either Eliza or Adelina don't make it on to the Sochi team they can at least say they too are Youth Olympians - and medallists in their case!

Scatcat

Rinkside
The ironic thing is Brooklee Han qualified the spot for the Youth Olympic Games and Chantelle went. Chantelle's scores and placing at the Junior Grand Prix events were not high enough to qualify, but Han's were. Han was too old to attend.