Australian figure skaters | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Glad to see Brendan is going to Junior Worlds. I hope he can skate really well!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Glad to see Brendan is going to Junior Worlds. I hope he can skate really well!

I hope so too. The set back in Sochi must of been hard. At Junior Worlds If he skates at his best a top 10 result is definitely possible. If he has another tough skate making the Free Skate would be tough. Brendan is a brilliant skater and he has talent to burn in the truckloads but the big question for him is whether or not he has the mental resilience required at this time.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope he can put in a short program like this one he did at Nebelhorn! (His Skate DownUnder SP was also gorgeous!)

Watching the video makes me so happy and sad all at the same time...happy because he is such a wonderful skater...but that haunting violin will echo in my dreams for a long time yet.

scooter

Rinkside
Not to say I'm agreeing with Downunderskatefan, but this isn't at all like Torah moving to Utah, or Lydia moving to Finland, or Brendan moving to California. Brooklee didn't move anywhere - she was BORN in the US, and that I think is Downunderskatefan's problem. And I must confess it doesn't sit entirely comfortably with me either that when they showed her interview on Channel Ten last night our skater spoke to the reporter in an American accent. I have never grasped the concept of country-hopping.

But I do adore Brooklee's skating, and she is lovely to watch, and she seems like a nice person as well. I am glad she is doing well. I haven't seen the long program yet, but I hear she was wonderful. :love:

Chantelle's time will come, especially if she keeps working hard. What Chantelle doesn't need is people like you, Downunderskatefan, making trouble...
Lots of skaters are born in a country different from their parents. They are still allowed citizenship. She's certainly not the first skater. How about Ksenia Makarova, daughter of russian skating coach parents, lived her entire life in the US, until going to Russia to compete, and ending up Russian National Champion.

Lots of skaters are born in a country different from their parents. They are still allowed citizenship. She's certainly not the first skater. How about Ksenia Makarova, daughter of russian skating coach parents, lived her entire life in the US, until going to Russia to compete, and ending up Russian National Champion.

Just because it happens doesn't make it right. I think the issue most Aussies have with brooklee is the perception that it's particularly opportunistic of her to play the Australian card (I understand she has competed for the US in equestrian?) - Australia is easy game for anyone who doesn't make the grade in their own country because they are unlikely to face serious competition Unlike Russia, we really do face disadvantages that Americans don't have so it's hardly a level playing field. Plus we only get one shot at a place, if that.

It's a slap in the face for any Aussie who has ever dreamed or representing their country or who is working against significant odds to achieve that. As I said earlier it's not about any individual skater but the message that's being sent to our kids.

Sorry to keep banging on about this but it really does rankle.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
With the creation of the team event at Olympics, having the highest internationally placing skaters actively competing in each discipline should be a priority for any federation. Australia just barely missed qualifying for it this year, and would have if they had a little better results in pairs in fall competitions.While having a skater like Brooklee may lose a spot for a lady, it might gain a spot at Olympics or in team for a pair.

With the creation of the team event at Olympics, having the highest internationally placing skaters actively competing in each discipline should be a priority for any federation. Australia just barely missed qualifying for it this year, and would have if they had a little better results in pairs in fall competitions.While having a skater like Brooklee may lose a spot for a lady, it might gain a spot at Olympics or in team for a pair.

All of this makes perfectly good sense but without opportunities Australian skaters are not going to reach their potential. Opportunities like competing at an Olympics. I would rather an Australian who finished 24th and came back better and stronger than before than an American who comes 20th and disappears back overseas. We need to have a long term commitment to our own skaters.

GF2445

Record Breaker
All of this makes perfectly good sense but without opportunities Australian skaters are not going to reach their potential. Opportunities like competing at an Olympics. I would rather an Australian who finished 24th and came back better and stronger than before than an American who comes 20th and disappears back overseas. We need to have a long term commitment to our own skaters.

Well the harsh reality is our dream of long term commitment of Australian Skaters is difficult when there is not enough money for proper development. The Australian Government is not increasing funding to Winter Sports (and instead using it to 'stop the boats') so its going to be really tough.

In this time for Australian skating, we need skaters like Brooklee who can have those top 20 finishes at Worlds and Olympics as motivation. Unlike what some people say, Brooklee was much liked by the general public and therewas alot of support for her on the Australian Olympic Committee's Sochi fan wall. She is also seen as a great rolemodel to kids, especially for those young skaters at the Icehouse skating club in Melbourne and to other young Australian skaters who foller her on Twitter. Her achievements as a skater, a student, musician and an athlete are nothing short of staggering and an inspiration to many teenagers- so that in itself is giving back to Australia- showing what young people are capable of.

I get it. There is some bitterness against her because they didnt send Chantelle (and to them it would've been the dream, continuing the family legacy) but in all honesty, if the court of arbitration made Brooklee ineligible, Australia wouldve lost the spot (as Brooklee went to Nebelhorn) and what good would that do anybody?? If that happened, Brooklee wouldnt of gone to the Olympics and Chantelle wouldn't of either. It would of been a lose lose day!

It was Australia's best interest to send Brooklee over losing a spot all in the name of 'sovereignty' and national pride. If a lady who represents Australia can go to the Olympics, skate well (which she did) and captivate and inspire a young girl or boy in Australia to take up skating lessons or to push themselves to become better skaters, that is the real victory.

If a more experienced Pairs team or a young Ice Dance team from overseas came to represent Australia, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.
And what about Anthony Liu, Australia's best ever figure skater. He came from China and he took Australia to top 10 status!

Dont fret. Our skaters will grow and get better. We have skate down under and there is great potential in the junior and novie ranks. Hold on and be patient and home grown olympians will come butfor now, we should be proud and happy for Brooklee.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When 5000 people lost their jobs today, I think asking for more funding for Winter Sports is a bit off-centre.

Just some perspective.

Brendan carried on his family's legacy at Sochi and if anything that legacy was too much additional burden. The look on his face at the end of his short program, and then when they announced his placement, was tied for my most heartbreaking moment of the Games. But Brendan is young, as are all of our skaters. There is every chance we could even make the team event in 2018; Dani and Greg are young enough to go again; Brendan will only get stronger as he gets older, and David Kranjec is a fine skater nipping at his heels; Brooklee and Chantelle are gorgeous and will only keep getting better; and then you have other skaters coming through too. We are in a bright era for Australian skating, and it makes me happy.

GF2445

Record Breaker
When 5000 people lost their jobs today, I think asking for more funding for Winter Sports is a bit off-centre.

Just some perspective.

Forgot about that. Its too difficult to keep up with depressing news sometimes. I used to read alot of the sydney morning herald, but not as much now (the telegraph nor the Australian are my cup of tea).

I suppose with funding, they probably should see where they can save money in other sports and put it into the winter program. What the Olympic Winter Institute should do is find another specific sport to invest in like they did with skeleton, moguls and aerials- imagine if they they invested in ice hockey? How happy would australia be if they had a team go to the olympics?

scooter

Rinkside
Just because it happens doesn't make it right. I think the issue most Aussies have with brooklee is the perception that it's particularly opportunistic of her to play the Australian card (I understand she has competed for the US in equestrian?)

1. Brooklee has never competed for the US in equestrian or any other sport.

2. I think it's a gross overstatement to say the 'most Aussies' have an issue with Brooklee.

3. Regardless of where she trains or lives the only reason Australia had a berth at the Sochi games is because Brooklee earned it. If any other skater wants to pony up a major grand prix placing we can discuss. But until then, it's realy ungrateful of any Aussie to do anything but cheer for her. Unless of course, that person happens to be named Chantelle or the mother of someone named Chantelle, who has a major sour grapes/entitlement issue.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If any other skater wants to pony up a major grand prix placing we can discuss.

Promised myself I'd stay out of this argument but I do have to correct you. Brooklee hasn't yet "ponied up" a major grand prix placing either...

GF2445

Record Breaker
Promised myself I'd stay out of this argument but I do have to correct you. Brooklee hasn't yet "ponied up" a major grand prix placing either...

In saying that, 8th at a jnr grand prix isnt too bad.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I frankly am not appreciative of people who paint Brooklee as this priveliged person who intruded onto the scene and usurped the Olympic spot away from the someone only to disappear after the Olympics. She went through the legal channels to use her citizenship opportunities is witthin reason. Shehas been representing team Australiam for FOUR years, not 1 or 2 years- the whole previous olympic cycle.

My beef with this premise is that it completely ignores the fact that Brooklee worked for absolutely everything that she has achieved for Australia thus far. Its not like she has received any additional funding for representing Australia by the AOC or the OWIA or the USFSA, in fact, i see this as an even greater financial burden and sacrifice for her to fulfill her dream to compete at the highest level in figure skating. Also, though it is in the US, Connecticut is not what you call a hotspot for figure skating. Its just always been her and her coach Serhii Vaypan at her local rink (unlike the more established centres of US figure slating like California, Colerado Springs, Miami, Detroit, Boston or New York).

The bottom line was that it was earned with hard work. And if you compare the points, there is a little gap between Chantelle and Brooklee but its not like its a universe apart- 10-15 points in the grand scheme of things isnt as wide as many think. Make some changes, work on components and work hard on a couple of things and a significant amount of those points can be made up. No one shouldve been surprised or outraged or disappointed at all over the outcome. The writing was on the wall at least two seasons ago that this was going to happen!

If Chantelle wants to make the next Olympics, she is going to have to make changes to her training situation in order to improve her skating. She can catch up but she needs to be willing to construct a solid plan for herself and follow through. I have full faith that it is possible for her to make the next Olympics.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
I frankly am not appreciative of people who paint Brooklee as this priveliged person who intruded onto the scene and usurped the Olympic spot away from the someone only to disappear after the Olympics. She went through the legal channels to use her citizenship opportunities is witthin reason. Shehas been representing team Australiam for FOUR years, not 1 or 2 years- the whole previous olympic cycle.

My beef with this premise is that it completely ignores the fact that Brooklee worked for absolutely everything that she has achieved for Australia thus far. Its not like she has received any additional funding for representing Australia by the AOC or the OWIA or the USFSA, in fact, i see this as an even greater financial burden and sacrifice for her to fulfill her dream to compete at the highest level in figure skating. Also, though it is in the US, Connecticut is not what you call a hotspot for figure skating. Its just always been her and her coach Serhii Vaypan at her local rink (unlike the more established centres of US figure slating like California, Colerado Springs, Miami, Detroit, Boston or New York).

The bottom line was that it was earned with hard work. And if you compare the points, there is a little gap between Chantelle and Brooklee but its not like its a universe apart- 10-15 points in the grand scheme of things isnt as wide as many think. Make some changes, work on components and work hard on a couple of things and a significant amount of those points can be made up. No one shouldve been surprised or outraged or disappointed at all over the outcome. The writing was on the wall at least two seasons ago that this was going to happen!

If Chantelle wants to make the next Olympics, she is going to have to make changes to her training situation in order to improve her skating. She can catch up but she needs to be willing to construct a solid plan for herself and follow through. I have full faith that it is possible for her to make the next Olympics.

:agree:

I know i'm late to the discussion, but this, 100%. I have no problem with Brooklee representing Australia - I was very happy for her and happy to see her do well.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sorry if my post comes off as harsh- im just very passionate like most forumers. My beef is not fully on that previous post but mainly on the Australian Media in general as they did not paint Brooklee in the best light. Most articles surrounding the appeal sided against her. They painted her as an opportunist and never really got her side of the story in terms of the Arbitration case. Even in reports about her olympic performances, they held her to an unusually harsher standard- especially in the sydney morning herald report about her free program.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
GF I don't think you came off that harshly. And yeah, I read the SMH report and wasn't particularly impressed (I am generally not impressed by things in the SMH these days to be honest). I tried to avoid some of the hubbub surrounding the appeal - but most articles sided against her? That sounds like an Australian case of tall poppy syndrome. Brooklee earned Australia's Sochi spot for ladies and won Nationals and I don't think the fact that she represented Australia at Sochi should be disputed.

Would it be nice if Australian representatives at the Olympics were skaters who grew up and/or mostly trained in Australia in future years? Absolutely, because that would mean that there'd be more funding in skating. Is that something that is feasible at the moment? There are so many areas that need support, and our government is not exactly increasing funds in many places (unless you're a farmer or Cadbury factory worker).

Possum Glider

Rinkside
I think there is majority of support for Brooklee amongst Australian skating fans. Brooklee did a great job qualifying the place in Germany then to qualify for the free skate was remarkable.

I was appalled today to hear the "Roy and HG" commentary of her program only adding the fuel to the fire for the few out there who don't understand our citizenship rules. Not ice skate Australia rules but federal law.

I have also read in another thread that Cheltzie Lee is looking at making a comeback in time for next Olympics, this means that it could be a 3 way tussle and with Chantelle's current coaching and training arrangements it would be predictable that she would be 2nd reserve.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was appalled today to hear the "Roy and HG" commentary of her program only adding the fuel to the fire for the few out there who don't understand our citizenship rules. Not ice skate Australia rules but federal law.

I have also read in another thread that Cheltzie Lee is looking at making a comeback in time for next Olympics, this means that it could be a 3 way tussle and with Chantelle's current coaching and training arrangements it would be predictable that she would be 2nd reserve.

Roy and HG did satire commentary of everything. What they said about Brooklee was very tame compared to their commentary on, say, the snowboardcross...they left Brendan alone (thank goodness), but they were hilarious for Dani/Greg. I thought it was all pretty funny.

Cheltzie, the last I heard, was doing a masters degree at university. That doesn't sound like someone going to 2018.