Australian figure skaters | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

scooter

Rinkside
a question from a non-Australian... do australian skate fans not get annoyed/concerned when skaters who grow up and learn the sport in Australia are passed over by others from abroad for the worlds/olympics? We spent our summer in Sydney and my daughter skated at Canterbury. We were generally impressed with the quality of the competitive skaters (though frightened that they were sharing the ice with real beginners!)... We watched Ms Kerry train (and compete in skate down under) and are just curious if Australians are not frustrated when the olympic spot goes to someone who is really from the States. Do you think this negatively impacts on the growth of the sport in Australia? Just curious...
My feeling is Brooklee earned the Olympic berth on her own placings. She is the Australian National Champion. I would think Australia wants the best skater to represent them. I must admit to being partial though. Brooklee's mom Pinky is a friend of mine from horses and she sometimes trains at our rink. My inlaws are going to Sochi and have instructions to cheer long and loud for her (not that It will accomplish anything).

GF2445

Record Breaker
My feeling is Brooklee earned the Olympic berth on her own placings. She is the Australian National Champion. I would think Australia wants the best skater to represent them. I must admit to being partial though. Brooklee's mom Pinky is a friend of mine from horses and she sometimes trains at our rink. My inlaws are going to Sochi and have instructions to cheer long and loud for her (not that It will accomplish anything).

Hi scooter. Please encourage them to cheer! I am extremely excited for Sochi.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Seeing richard dornbush skate a lights out short program makes me optimistic that Brendan Kerry will do a lights out short program performance in Sochi.
(For the ones who dont know, Brendan trains in Riverside, California under the same coach as Richard)

GF2445

Record Breaker
I had the sudden realisation that Brooklee's music is to music by Jay Chou- one of Taiwan's most renound actors and musicians. With the Four Continents in Taiwan, I hope the crowd will love it!

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Ahh Sochi is so close! I'm excited to see how our Australian skaters go :) I'm excited that we have so many Australian skaters going!!

Thanks for all the updates, GF2445! Shall pop onto the fan wall now :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
After today's competition at Europeans, Im confident that Brooklee will perform well enough for the Free Skate but seeing so many of the dance teams post mid 50s makes me a bit worried for Dani and Greg. If they cant post a score In that range at Four Continents, unfortunately, that would put them in a tough situation in Sochi.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Over the next couple of days, I will be writing my thoughts about the goals which I think our Australian Reps should aim to achieve at Four Continents. I have alot to think, research and read now!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Very excited for Four Continents. Official Practices begin today. Fingers crossed there is video footage.

GF2445

Record Breaker
My hopes for Team Australia at the 2014 Four Continents.

Danielle O'brien/Gregory Merriman
Ice Dance

Short Dance
Main Aim: Skate with confidence, leave positive impression on the judges, execute elements well.

This season, this program has been generally well received. Technically, they are proficient skaters. They have the ability to earn Level 3-4 for the finnstep and step sequences with positive GOE. Their lift can earn a level 4, as well as positive GOE. However, twizzles have been a bit off at the moment. They are capable of achieving a level 4 and positive GOE (+1-2) for them though.

On the components side, they have improved a lot but they do not have the ice coverage or the edges that the top teams have so hopefully Angelika, Pasquale and the DSC coaching staff have found ways to found certain sections of their program where they made some changes in order to make Dani and Greg highlight that they can skate on deep edges, or can generate speed. I am also interested to see if they made some choreographic changes to improve their connection with each other.

There is no doubt that this short dance is the program that has had a lot of attention as alot hinges on it. How well they perform this at the Olympics will determine if they will qualify for the Free Dance.

Score to aim: mid 50s

Free Dance
Main Aim: To sell the program.

This program works for them, so their aim is to sell it. They might not have a Virtue-Moir connection but the way they connect together in this performance is infectious and engaging and can draw the crowd, like they did at the 2013 Four Continents in Osaka. They at times can seem a little tight so they need to go play everything up and skate on the edge (It is a circus themed program)! They know what they need to do, they need to just do it.

Score to aim: Low-Mid 80s

Predicted Placement: 7th place out of 15 couples
Aspire to aim for: Get as close to the top 6 as possible

scooter

Rinkside
Brooklee was at our rink yesterday for her final run thru. All the skaters and moms gave her a standing ovation as she came off the ice. Go Brooklee! We're rooting for you!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Dani and Greg are drawn to skate #13 in the Short Dance event at the 2014 Four Continents!
#LastGroup=PCSboost

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Brooklee needs to beat Jenna McKorkell if she does she has a good chance of going to the freeskate. So he would be ahead of her 3 americans, 3 Japanese, Yuna, Chinese skater, 2 Canadians (that second girl is spunky), 2 Russians, Hegellson, Mete, Glebova, two Italians at least, a German skater so I guess she has a good shot.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Dani and Greg are drawn to skate #13 in the Short Dance event!
#LastGroup=PCSboost

Seeing their programs I am not so sure they will be in the free dance. They will probably be behind 3 Americans, 3 Canadians, 3 Russians, 2 French, 2 Italians, at least one German team, a Ukraine team, The Reeds, Great Britain, and I am sure I have missed some teams so it will be tough.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Seeing their programs I am not so sure they will be in the free dance. They will probably be behind 3 Americans, 3 Canadians, 3 Russians, 2 French, 2 Italians, at least one German team, a Ukraine team, The Reeds, Great Britain, and I am sure I have missed some teams so it will be tough.

I know it will be tough for them in Sochi. All we can do is hope that they have full trust in their training.

But for now, Four Continents is the flavour of the week.

GF2445

Record Breaker

Brendan Kerry
Men's

Short Program
Main Aim: Land the Quad and receive better levels for spins

This Program was a great choice for him this season and it has shown in the results. The music seems to keep him calm and he is able to relate to it through his choreography. His speed and edge work has also improved and his step sequence shows that off. Technically, Brendan has improved so much over the last year and to see him attempting the Quad is great...he just needs to land it! If he can land all his jumps in this program, this will give him a great boost of confidence for Sochi.

He should comfortably make the Free Skate.

Score to aim: high 60s (and aim to break 70)

Free Skate
Main Aim: To sell the program.

In comparison to his Short Program, his Free Skate is the program that I'm nervous and anxious to see. At the start of the season, he had a routine to Gangster Squad but then changed it before Nationals to a French Waiter Character Themed Free Skater. He admits in news reports that he finds choreography more difficult than learning the Quad so it will be interesting to see how hard he has worked on creating that character profile. All the elements should work out and even if he makes mistakes, he has a history of fighting back.

Score to aim: 130s+ (To think that last season his total score at 2013 4CC was about 130 points and now he can earn a score like that in the Free Skate Alone!)

Predicted Placement: 16th place out of 29 skaters
Aspire to aim for: Top 12 and get close to 200 points

GF2445

Record Breaker

David Kranjec
Men's

Short Program
Main Aim: Go Clean

David has also made great improvements. He has a triple-triple and has worked on his triple Flip.
He tends to do better in the SP so I have good hopes that he makes the FS. He needs to redeem himself after a rocky outing at Four Continents last year

Score to aim: Low-Mid 60s

Free Skate
Main Aim: Execute all his jumping passes, GO FOR IT

David's Free Skate is to Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain. He has a great costume and there are moments in the program that are great choreography wise. He doesn't always execute his jumping passes cleanly and at times it is obvious that his edge work can either be flat or deep but laboured. If he skates with a killer instinct, the program will work. He can do it but he needs to believe that when the pressure is on.

Score to aim: 110 points

Predicted Placement: 22nd place out of 29 skaters
Aspire to aim for: Qualify for Free Skate and try for Top 20

GF2445

Record Breaker

Andrew Dodds
Men's

Short Program
Main Aim: Triple Lutz and Triple Flip need to be landed

It's great to see a Dodds skater finally make a senior ISU Championship. This will be a great experience for him. He does have enough technical weaponry to qualify but since it is his first really large competition, you can never know. He doesn't always lands his jumps and that is my greatest concern. He really needs to push to qualify for the Free Skate.

Score to aim: Mid-high 50's and try to break 60

Free Skate
Main Aim: Skate for fun and experience

If he does make the Free Skate, he should then use the Free Skate to go all out because there is no risk after you make the Free Skate. If he enjoys himself, he will most likely surprise himself.

Score to aim: 100 Points

Predicted Placement: Outside the top 24
Aspire to aim for: Top 24 and try to reach 150 points

GF2445

Record Breaker
Australian Men are skating early. Though not ideal, if they skate well, they will be rewarded for it.