Australian figure skaters | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Brooklee needs to beat Jenna McKorkell if she does she has a good chance of going to the freeskate. So he would be ahead of her 3 americans, 3 Japanese, Yuna, Chinese skater, 2 Canadians (that second girl is spunky), 2 Russians, Hegellson, Mete, Glebova, two Italians at least, a German skater so I guess she has a good shot.

Considering how Brooklee fared in her previous match up with Jenna McKorkell I'd say she's got a very good chance of making the FS in Sochi. But for now, I'm keen to see how she goes in 4CC. :popcorn:

Gooo Brendan and Dani and Greg!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know it will be tough for them in Sochi. All we can do is hope that they have full trust in their training.

But for now, Four Continents is the flavour of the week.

It's not their training ; it is their programs that I worry about.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, i cant find one at the moment. This is what happened last time the four continents was held in Taiwan- it was extremely diffiuclt to find a stream.

GF2445

Record Breaker
One hour until the Big Dance begins!

On the way: Standard Ballroom Tempos including Quickstep, Foxtrot, Swing and the Charleston.

Good Luck to all (especially Team Australia).

GF2445

Record Breaker
2nd Group Done. Just an Ice Resurface and then it will be the final group!

GO DANI AND GREG!!!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Those stupid twizzles! Unfortunately, it looks like Dani and Greg will have to settle for 10th place after the Short Dance.
I suppose it's all up to the Free Dance now.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Good recovery for Dani and Greg in the Free Dance. They moved were able to move up to 7th place, where I predicted they would finish. I hope this competition will give them the motivation they need to address the Short Dance. Hopefully they will make some changes. If they didn't mess up the twizzles there was a chance for them to break into the top 6, (i.e. The North American Stronghold).

Strongish results for the men's as well. I'm looking forward to seeing if Brendan is going for the Quad.

Good result for Brooklee as well. Despite only being in 14th place, there isn't a massive gap between 14th and well deep into the top 10, if there are skaters who fall into trouble tomorrow, this is her chance to break through.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Great stuff for Dani and Greg!

I'm hoping Brooklee, Brendan and David are going to do exactly what they did and spring up the leaderboard!!!! :love:

Poor Andrew :(

GF2445

Record Breaker
It's been a tough week at the Four Continents :(

Poor Brendan. He had alot of trouble with his jumps. In reports he says he has had trouble on the 3A lately. I really like this new program but he needs to land those jumps round. I hope this low could lead to a turn around and an excellent skate at the Olympics. On a side thought, taking the short program alone, if he skates like he did at the Nebelhorn trophy, he can make the top 24.
But nice to see David Kranjec get a PB in the Free Skate though.

All the best for Brooklee- there is only a three points separating her from the top 10 and from comparing the PCS scores, if she skates clean she can move up at least two places. Since she is skating to Jay Chou Music, I hope the Taiwanese crowd will get behind her.

Nice to see Dani and Greg rebound in the FD (I love their FD) but I am a little worried about their Short Dance. The scores that they getting indicate that they will find it extremely difficult to qualify (even if they were able to execute the twizzles at 4 continents) for the FD at the Olympics. The twizzles need fixing to get them in sync and to get a level 4, the footwork is costing them too- they need to make that step sequence a level three minimum and they need to address their Finnstep, especially the first section- they didn't hit all the keypoints needed. I'm being overly pessimistic but you can never know. Anything can happen because it's the Olympics!

GF2445

Record Breaker
According to a report from the Australian Olympic Committee website, It seems that Brendan's skates broke before four continents and had to skate in new boots.

Im wondering how much can new boots affect a skater. Can it really unsettle a skater? Please leave a comment below.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, absolutely it can. Especially if the new boots aren't entirely broken in. Stiff, unforgiving and uncomfortable; that's what Brendan was trying to skate in.

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice
I'm wondering how much can new boots affect a skater. Can it really unsettle a skater? Please leave a comment below.

There is a well - known story about Barbara Underhill, the Canadian pairs' skater. She and her partner, Paul Martini, were one of the gold medal favourites heading into the 1984 Olympics. Unfortunately for them, all season Barbara's boots had been giving her fits. So much that she fell on the side by side sit spin in the short program, knocking Paul over with her. They finished the event in 7th place.

Later when they returned to Canada, the couple was on the verge of quitting. One day Brian Orser suggested that Barb return to her old skates from the 1983 season, which ended up being the solution to their problem. A week later they went on to win the 1984 World title.

GF2445

Record Breaker
There is a well - known story about Barbara Underhill, the Canadian pairs' skater. She and her partner, Paul Martini, were one of the gold medal favourites heading into the 1984 Olympics. Unfortunately for them, all season Barbara's boots had been giving her fits. So much that she fell on the side by side sit spin in the short program, knocking Paul over with her. They finished the event in 7th place.

Later when they returned to Canada, the couple was on the verge of quitting. One day Brian Orser suggested that Barb return to her old skates from the 1983 season, which ended up being the solution to their problem. A week later they went on to win the 1984 World title.

Thankyou aussieskates and karne. I just watch skating so i dont always fully understand everything a skater can go through in a competitive season. Hopefully if skate down under is still in sydney this year and there is a good line up, i maybe would go.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yay Aussie Aussie Aussie! the down under skaters did just fine at 4CCs Okay the men were a bit of a splatfest and Brooklee went up againt some strong ladies -some who skated poorly. NO shame at all. Yes boots and everyone thinks it is a simple answer custom made or whatever can really destory yuo - look at kevin Reynolds no. 5 in the world and is just starting to compete now and probably only because he wants to go to the olympics even with bad boots (no jokes about his hair please).

GF2445

Record Breaker
Brooklee Han Barlow alumna to skate for Australian team during the 2014 Winter Olympics

"Brooklee Han, 18, Joel Barlow High School alumna and Redding resident, will have her dream of competing for the Australian Women’s Ice Skating team in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, fulfilled.

Ms. Han has dreamed of being in the Olympics since she was 6 years old, she said.

“My mom tells a story from when I was 6. … I said, ‘I can compete at the Olympics with horses when I am older, I can play my violin at Carnegie Hall when I am older, but I have to skate in the Olympics now when I am young,’” Ms. Han recalled..."

Article Written by Peter DiPaola for the Easton Courier (Connecticut)
Published on February 2, 2014

http://www.eastoncourier.com/8943/b...tralian-team-during-the-2014-winter-olympics/

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Go Brooklee! Since Hubbell & Donohue didn't make the U.S. dance team, she's the only skater from my state, Connecticut, at the Olympics, AFAIK.