Australian figure skaters | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
this is so exciting to see some Aussies skating - well I guess some are kind of transplanted but still. It makes this a world event. I wonder if they can win a medal in some event. I don't think figure skating this year but who knows what other sport.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
this is so exciting to see some Aussies skating - well I guess some are kind of transplanted but still. It makes this a world event. I wonder if they can win a medal in some event. I don't think figure skating this year but who knows what other sport.

Australia has five Winter golds, 1 silver, and three bronze :)

Snowboarding and ariel skiing are pretty good chances this year :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Awesome awesome awesome! I hope the whole team just has a good time and shows the world what it is all about. Can't wait to see the team uniforms.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Bet a lot of people don't know that Steven Bradbury appears on the medal list twice...our 5000 relay team won Bronze in Atlanta.

But the one everyone will remember, of course, is that gold. ;)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ready, set, Sochi …

"Strathfield ice dancer Danielle O’Brien first entered a skating rink because it was too hot to go rollerblading outside. Now, 23-year-old Danielle is preparing for a different kind of heat as her and ice dancing partner, 25-year-old Greg Merriman of Canterbury compete in their first Olympic Games in Russia from 7 to 23 February.

The pair aren’t the only athletes from the inner-west (of Sydney) to make the journey to cooler climes. Just over a week before the games begin, 19–year-old....

Article Written by Belinda Noonan for Burwood Scene (A Local Newspaper in Sydney's Inner West)
Published on February 4, 2014

http://www.burwoodscene.com.au/2014/02/04/ready-set-sochi/

GF2445

Record Breaker
Very Excited!

The Australian Team's Uniforms for the Opening Ceremony will be revealed later today (Wednesday Evening Australian Time)
and the Flag Bearer will be announced on Thursday.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sochi Olympic stars from The Hills

"THE Hills are alive with anticipation, or at least they should be.

It's not every fortnight the district has two representatives at a pinnacle of international sporting competition.

It will have at the Winter Olympics starting in Sochi, Russia this week in the form of Brendan Kerry and Jana Pittman..."

Article Written for Hills News Newspaper (A Local Newspaper from Sydney's Hill's District)
Published on February 4, 2013

http://www.hillsnews.com.au/story/2062647/sochi-olympic-stars-from-the-hills/?cs=1580

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ice dancing duo Greg Merriman and Danielle O'Brien primed for Sochi Winter Olympic Games

"Ice dancing duo Greg Merriman and Danielle O'Brien are finally able to represent Australia in the Winter Olympic Games, after a medical emergency set them back at the last Games..."

Article Written by Chris Georgakopoulos for the Daily Telegraph: Canterbury-Bankstown Express (In Sydney's South West)
Published on February 4, 2014

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...er-olympic-games/story-fngr8hxh-1226816786429

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Very Excited!

The Australian Team's Uniforms for the Opening Ceremony will be revealed later today (Wednesday Evening Australian Time)
and the Flag Bearer will be announced on Thursday.

Flag bearer announcement will be live on the "Sochi's Big Bash" show on channel 10 at 8:30pm AEST.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As a warning, the Sochi's Big Bash show is really two shows in one: an Olympic preview show combined with a review of the cricket T20 Big Bash and a preview of the grand final (which is on Friday). The commentators/presenters will be cricket ones - though it involves Gilly and Flem so I will never complain because they are wonderful - so I doubt they'll get into any great depths.

It goes from 8:30-midnight though, which is pretty good (I think it shows some snowboarding qualifying runs too?). Unfortunately, Channel 10 completely lets us down by not showing the Team Event Men's and Pairs SPs even though there are no other sports to compete with on that night.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Redding's Brooklee Han Completes An Unlikely Olympic Journey

"REDDING, Conn. – Redding figure skater Brooklee Han started skating age 5, but it has only been in the past three years that she thought reaching the Olympics was an attainable goal.

On Thursday, Han, 18, will march in the opening ceremonies in Sochi, Russia, with her teammates from Australia. She will compete Feb. 19 in the ladies short program, with the free program scheduled for Feb. 20. The competition will be the end result of Han's steady ascent on the world's figure skating ladder..."

Article Written by Tom Renner for the Daily Voice Westport (A Local Newspaper in Brooklee's home state of CT)
Published on February 5, 2014

http://westport.dailyvoice.com/sports/reddings-brooklee-han-completes-unlikely-olympic-journey

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Australian flagbearer is Alex "Chumpy" Pullin, snowboarder.

I spy Brendan during the announcement, looking suitably and understandably bored by the ridiculously long-winded speech from our chef d'mission.

GF2445

Record Breaker

I spy Brendan during the announcement, looking suitably and understandably bored by the ridiculously long-winded speech from our chef d'mission.

:biggrin:

GF2445

Record Breaker

If you watch the behind the scene video of this event, Greg gets interviewed after too

GF2445

Record Breaker
Channel 10 is showing the team event. Wish I got to see it live but its a good time filler before the opening ceremony which is on at 3am in Eastern Australia!

They are doing an odd thing by splitting the commentary between the Australian Commentator and Chris Howarth who I think is doing commentary for the Olympic Broadcasting Service.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Aussies Skaters Thread passes 25,000 views!!!! :)

Brendan and Brooklee interviewed on TV.

Brendan is rocking the Californian-Aussie accent now.
It's a little funny because after the interview my mum asked me, "Why is Australia being represented by two Americans?" :laugh: