Australian figure skaters | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm recording everything and watching it over dinner the next day. I just can't justify staying up when I have to be at work.

One of the first things I bought when I got my new place was a fancy-pants recorderboxblurayplayer thingy. For me, with the amount of sport I watch and the times so much of it is on, it was a non-negotiable. Luckily, I can also record two channels at once.

I agree, I think Brendan will make the FS no problems, especially if he lands all his jumps. The real question is his PCS.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I agree, I think Brendan will make the FS no problems, especially if he lands all his jumps. The real question is his PCS.

For the Presentation, if he can get around 20-30 points for the PCS in the SP, he should be fine. He's skating late in group 2 so he has a good shot.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For the Presentation, if he can get around 20-30 points for the PCS in the SP, he should be fine. He's skating late in group 2 so he has a good shot.

Yes. The problem is twofold. One, Brendan is from a little country, a non-powerhouse. This could work for or against him depending on how threatening he appears. Second, he is going to be skating only one skater after Plushy. Again, this could work for or against him - the judges could still be on a PCS happy and reward him, or...

GF2445

Record Breaker
Yes. The problem is twofold. One, Brendan is from a little country, a non-powerhouse. This could work for or against him depending on how threatening he appears. Second, he is going to be skating only one skater after Plushy. Again, this could work for or against him - the judges could still be on a PCS happy and reward him, or...

If he can surprise again, like he did at Nebelhorn, he should do well. Judges like nice surprises!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Australia has a medal!

Torah bright wins silver in the ladies halfpipe!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Australia has a medal!

Torah bright wins silver in the ladies halfpipe!

Fingers crossed for Aerials now. I must say, this has been a tough Olympics for Australia. In saying that, there is so much young talent now. Maybe we'll have a larger haul in 2018!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Massimo Scali Rocking the Green & Gold!

Scali proud of green and gold role

"FIGURE SKATING: In Ice Dancing, a perfectly constructed performance is one that looks effortless. But an effortless performance is the results of tireless hours on the ice over countless weeks, months and years..."

Article Written by Alice Wheeler for the Australian Olympic Committee
Published on February 12, 2014

http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/news/scali-proud-of-green-and-gold-role

GF2445

Record Breaker
Oh Brendan.

:cry: :cry: :cry::

I know it's sad. He has been struggling with the mental strength but to think that he even made the Olympics when last season we thought that Brooklee would be Australia's only rep, is an achievement in itself. You saw what he was capable of and people know what he could do but it simply wasn't his day.

He'll live to skate another day- we'll see him in Pyongchang and he'll smash it there.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sochi Winter Olympics: Aussie skater Brendan Kerry stumbles out of contention

"Pain is only temporary,” is the motto chosen by 19-year-old Australian figure skater Brendan Kerry, who will devoutly hope that’s the case because he will take away painful memories of his first Olympics.

It was his Olympic debut – though not his family’s, his mother Monica MacDonald represented Australia in the ice dance in 1988 in Calgary.

"Practice has been terrible since getting here."

After skating onto the ice for the men's figure skating in the same group as Olympic legend Evgeny Plyushchenko (“that was amazing,” Kerry said. “I was paranoid. I didn’t want to get in his way”), he was pushed up the schedule after the Russian’s withdrawal.

Article Written by Nick Miller for the Sydney Morning Herald
Published February 14, 2014

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/winter-...tumbles-out-of-contention-20140214-32nrl.html

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I reckon everyone in that group might have been unsettled by what happened to Plushenko.

But oh, Brendan. :cry:

Channel Ten's fluff piece was lovely.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I reckon everyone in that group might have been unsettled by what happened to Plushenko.

But oh, Brendan. :cry:

Channel Ten's fluff piece was lovely.

It was. And even after the rough skate, yes they were honest about how his SP went downhill, but the presenters and even Robin Cousins in an interview pointed out what he can be capable of. He says he will likely be having sessions with a sports psychologist which is a step in the right direction for him.

He has Junior Worlds and Senior Worlds to compete next month- it's time for redemption.

BusyMom

Medalist
Brendan is a very promising skater. Only that most of Australia, NZ and SEA skaters don't have much frequent flyer in competitions. Major competition is very few in this part of the world. The more you compete, you can deal more with nerves.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Short Dance draw is up. Dani and Greg are starting 8th from the top (4th in group 2).

I fear that they wont make the FD but the later draw time gives them a better shot. We just need to make sure that Greg doesnt fall on his twizzles ;)

Possum Glider

Rinkside
I'm sure Dani and Greg really appreciate the above vote of confidence, it just echoes the crap they have received all throughout their career from Australian judges and officials.

Dani and Greg will do their best and if it gives their doubters a chance to say I told you they aren't good enough then so be it, the rest of us who know the battles they have fought and won know that they will enter the arena with Aussie pride in their hearts and the support of those who really matter.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm so excited for Dani and Greg! And Brooklee!

And how inconvenient of the Sochi organisers to put the dance and the ladies on when I have to go to work the next day so I can't sit up and watch. ;)

GF2445

Record Breaker
I must say that the commentary from the skating has been fantastic. Belinda Noonan and Chris Howarth doing a good job.

GF2445

Record Breaker
PREVIEW: O'Brien and Merriman get their bearings

"FIGURE SKATING: Being in the spotlight is what Danielle O’Brien and Greg Merriman do best, but the bright lights of the Olympics have taken the dynamic duo a little getting used to.

“The main rink is almost daunting,” O’Brien said after her first training session at the Iceberg Skating Palace earlier this week.

“Stepping out into the arena - the lights are bright and getting your bearings is a big factor. We managed that well today. Sometimes we have some problems when we get into big arenas...”

Written by Alice Wheeler for the Australian Olympic Committee
Published February 16, 2014

http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/news/preview-o-brien-and-merriman-get-their-bearing