Australian figure skaters | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
The judges have spoken about Dani & Greg's SD.....

AND THEY WANT MORE!!!! :points::party2::yay::clap::party:

They made it to the FD! Something that i wouldve doubted last season. Their skating style isnt always liked- yes its a little slow and it lacks power, difficulty, intricacy and sophistication but they have an undeniable sense of fun, great polish and on the day they skated their freaking hearts out and they made it!

I do feel really sorry for the Turkish team. Like the Australians and smaller nations, the judges never seem to fully credit these teams. I love agafonova's and ucar's skating in general- they are well matched and are equal skaters who complement eachother well. Their SD empodies alot of the things i love about ice dance. And if you did compare them to the Australians, their SD is more difficult and they do take more risks, but on the day they had more of the things that dani and greg lacked but lacked the qualities dani and greg had in spades on the day. Those finnstep keypoints are a killer! In my ideal world i wouldve let both teams through.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
You should be proud of O'Brien and Merriman. It was a lovely program--one of the few that really felt to me to have that "20's bubbly feeling." They just need more speed and sharpness. Here's hoping they have a successful FD!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

dani and greg made the fd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day made already!

Orange Cat

On the Ice
YAYY DANI AND GREG! I woke up just in time to see their dance. I'm so so happy for them, and proud as an Australian :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Aussie Dancers are Living the Dream Olympics!

O'Brien and Merriman step out in style

"FIGURE SKATING: Danielle O’Brien and Greg Merriman have delivered the performance of their careers in the short program of the Ice Dancing on Sunday night in Sochi.

It has been 26 years since Australia was represented in Olympic Ice Dancing at the Calgary 1988 Games.

It was worth the wait..."

Written by Alice Wheeler of the Australian Olympic Committee
Published February 17, 2014

http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/news/o-brien-and-merriman-step-out-in-style

Wish them luck on Twitter! Their twitter handle is @obrienmerriman

GF2445

Record Breaker
Job Well Done for Dani and Greg! A fun program. Despite some negative people's snarks about their costumes being from the bottom of clearence bins and their speed, their most important audience, the Australian public, loved it- it was enjoyable, simple and unpretentious.

Top 20 for Ice Dance is a mighty achievement. They will go to Saitama for 2014 Worlds but after that, they havent made up their mind to retire or continue. For me, 2018 might be too long a wait but maybe a season or two more might see them go places...and maybe even a grand prix for once!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Brooklee is up in a couple of days time- she will be skating in group 2. She has been training at her all time favourite rink in Oberstdorf, Germany so shenas kept a low profile. She should make the Free Skate. Looking forward to seeing her rock that layback spin like a boss.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Job Well Done for Dani and Greg! A fun program. Despite some negative people's snarks about their costumes being from the bottom of clearence bins and their speed, their most important audience, the Australian public, loved it- it was enjoyable, simple and unpretentious.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaat? Who said that? They're for it now! RAWR!

Top 20 for Ice Dance is a mighty achievement. They will go to Saitama for 2014 Worlds but after that, they havent made up their mind to retire or continue. For me, 2018 might be too long a wait but maybe a season or two more might see them go places...and maybe even a grand prix for once!

They're only 25 and 24. By the next Games they'd be 29 and 28, which is not too old...heck, with the longevity for ice dancers, if they really wanted, they could go all the way to 2022!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What's important about them is this: They're the first (at least first in a long time).

They've broken ground, perhaps inspiring other athletes... future medal contenders even.

I'm always thrilled to see skaters from other than the traditional powerhouses. It's through them that our sport will grow!

I'm happy for them, and for you, Karne!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The nasty factor displayed on the main FD board during the first flights, particularly aimed at less experienced skaters who should be applauded as pioneers, was disgusting and juvenile.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Waaaaaaaaaaaaat? Who said that? They're for it now! RAWR!

They're only 25 and 24. By the next Games they'd be 29 and 28, which is not too old...heck, with the longevity for ice dancers, if they really wanted, they could go all the way to 2022!

I'm the one who said they need more speed--which they undeniably do--but I also said they had charm. And that you can train for more speed but you either have charm or you don't--and they have it. So a little credit please. :)

It was indeed a charming program and I look forward to seeing them in the future.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm the one who said they need more speed--which they undeniably do--but I also said they had charm. And that you can train for more speed but you either have charm or you don't--and they have it. So a little credit please. :)

It was indeed a charming program and I look forward to seeing them in the future.

Yes I will have to defend WA. We both defended Dani and Greg in the FD thread -- WA noted their charm; I said I enjoyed watching them -- , which we joked would put us before a firing squad given the overall negativity of the other posts. (Actually, I made that joke; WA may or may not have found that funny).

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yes I will have to defend WA. We both defended Dani and Greg in the FD thread -- WA noted their charm; I said I enjoyed watching them -- , which we joked would put us before a firing squad given the overall negativity of the other posts. (Actually, I made that joke; WA may or may not have found that funny).

I did find it funny and I was going to tell you I was sticking to my guns, but after the firing squad comment I thought it might not be the most appropo response! LOL!

Look, I love snark as much as the next person (I'm a HUGE fan of The Skating Lesson for instance, and find Dave Lease both very knowledgeable and very funny), but there's a difference between snark with a purpose and snark which is just mean-spirited. But as they say, the dogs may snark but the caravan rolls on.

ETA: The snark is not referring to you Mrs. P but to the fly-by-nighters who seem to sign on for a big competition JUST so they can be snarky and then disappear back into the internet ether.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Awww, I should've known there was more to it than that! :)

It's okay, I've found a new person to rawr at, I just read what Johnny said about Dani. That wasn't nice criticism like you guys, that was MEAN.

Anyway, they were darling. And they were joy on ice. :)

GF2445

Record Breaker

I'm sorry weak ankles, I must've misread the your comments. I didn't mean you at all. I do agree with your point exactly- they needed more speed. It's easier to do everything slower but it costs PCS marks!

GF2445

Record Breaker

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Annnnnnnnnd Buzzfeed posted an article about "heartbreaking reactions at the Olympics" complete with a giant picture of Brendan tearing up in the Kiss and Cry.

GF2445

Record Breaker
PREVIEW: Han leaps onto the Sochi stage

"FIGURE SKATING: The highest rating event of the Winter Olympics gets underway tomorrow, with the Ladies’ Individual Figure Skating short program taking place at the Iceberg Skating Palace in Sochi. Australia’s Brooklee Han is delighted to be part of the spectacle.

Han will be the ninth skater to take to the ice after the event gets underway at 7.00pm local time (2.00am Thurs AEDT).

“I’m pretty happy with my draw,” Han said. “I’m not in the first group so that’s good and I think it’s a good spot for me to be in. The first group is always tough... And just because of the stigma, no one ever wants to go first...”

Article Written by Alice Wheeler for the Australian Olympic Committee
Published February 19, 2014

http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/news/preview-han-leaps-onto-the-sochi-stage