Australian figure skaters | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
We also need to watch out for Kailani in the future because my goodness can she jump and perform with energy. Yes, she needs to work on ensuring that her jumps dont get edge calls or underrotation calls or downgrades or even double downgrades but i love her attack in her programs especially this years free skating.

I don't know how many people commenting here are Australian but I suspect many of you are American, hence the support for Brooklee. Which is perfectly understandable as she us your skater. If you were Australian you would appreciate why we feel the way we do.
Also it is wrong to say media reports were biased, they simply reported the facts. The facts speak for themselves. The role of the media is to report what is happening, not regurgitate gushing AOC press releases.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't know how many people commenting here are Australian but I suspect many of you are American, hence the support for Brooklee. Which is perfectly understandable as she us your skater. If you were Australian you would appreciate why we feel the way we do.
Also it is wrong to say media reports were biased, they simply reported the facts. The facts speak for themselves. The role of the media is to report what is happening, not regurgitate gushing AOC press releases.

Karne, gf2445 and Orange Cat are all Australian and done a great job introducing Australian figure skating to this board. I'd suggest you actually spend some time in this board and perhaps contribute further to those efforts instead of making assumptions about posters.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I had the privilege of attending Skate Down Under last year in person. I loved Brendan and Dani and Greg and I was wowed by Chantelle and Kailani. But even though I have only seen Brooklee on my screen, she is evidently the better skater. And that's okay, because Chantelle and Kailani are young and have time, and there are so many wonderful young skaters out there - which YOU would know if you paid attention to Australian skating.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Downunderskatefan I am Australian, born and raised in Sydney, and I was able to attend segments of the Skate Down Under competition earlier this year. I even had the privilege of fangirling over Dani while she smiled politely at me. While I can understand why some people would prefer someone like Chantelle who has clearer links to Australia to be Australia's representatives in sports, it is not a sentiment I share (Brooklee has stated that she enjoys representing Australia, visits her family in Australia and trains a bit in Melbourne, and she is eligible to represent Australia). But in this case, of all eligible senior ladies representing Australia internationally, Brooklee was the skater whose work and competitive results enabled Australia to earn a ladies' berth in Sochi, and her training and results enabled her to proceed to the FS, and I'm happy for her.

Now it's Chantelle's turn - and Kailani's, and other junior ladies :) - to work hard and see how they go on the world stage leading up to 2018. I'm excited to see how Kailani goes at Junior Worlds!

karkit

Rinkside

and the facts are brooklee is eligible to compete for australia under the rules because she has dual citizenship AND she qualified for the olympic spot through her own efforts. torah bright lives and trains in utah, maybe she's not fair-dinkum aussie enough to represent us any longer.

Possum Glider

Rinkside
:rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

I too am Australian, born in Murrurrundi!

I'm really not of the value of picking away at this scab. The past is gone it cannot be changed, the only thing we can do is prepare for the future. It is not good for skaters to have bitterness continually dragged on when the bitterness is a result of their ( and their "camps") doing. The non biased only had to look at the numbers to see who would get Olympics and for this season it was the right result especially when it is public knowledge that Chantelle has been carrying injuries for more then 6 months and recently has been limited in her ability to train so she would not have been in a position to be at her best in early February.

If you look at the ISA website you will see that for many years they have had an "advert" for pairs and dance purely by inviting skaters from overseas to make enquiries on how they can be helped to be Australian representatives. Is this the right way to go, probably because no one training in Australia will have the skills and experience to take Australia into the top rankings.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Lets move on from this. Its probable not best for us to continue this besides, Downunderskatefan is one of us- an Australian who loves this sport. We can leave this to next season when all the athletes are refreshed and healthy again and we have the Olympic madness fully cleansed from our system. Lets move on to the next thing!

We want to wish Eliza and Jordan all the best as they try to make the technical minimums for pairs event (at Junior Worlds) at the Challenge Cup in Hague, The Netherlands. If you are a Queenslander or know any of the skaters from Queensland i hope for your sake that they make it so you guys can celebrate.

Lets move on from this. Its probable not best for us to continue this besides, Downunderskatefan is one of us- an Australian who loves this sport. We can leave this to next season when all the athletes are refreshed and healthy again and we have the Olympic madness fully cleansed from our system. Lets move on to the next thing!.

Okay, deal. Thanks for the discussion guys. Onwards.

Scatcat

Rinkside
Sorry, Just saw this and I feel the need to chime in. There are some facts that need to be mentioned. No one, not one person complained when Brooklee earned a spot to the Youth Olympics and Chantelle got to go. Matter of fact, it was rarely if ever mentioned that Chantelle had the exact same opportunity (two JGP events) to earn the spot but did not, Brooklee earned it. If Brooklee had not qualified a spot to Worlds last year it would have been the first time in (I think since the 1940's). Many years that Australia was not represented. She has brought great opportunity to our skaters and has been an excellent role model for our Youth!

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
And to add insult to injury, they missed the FS TES minimum of 30...by 0.9 points

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And to add insult to injury, they missed the FS TES minimum of 30...by 0.9 points

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

(Have I ever mentioned before that I'm not a fan of TES minimums? Well, I'm not.)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Hope there will be somes chamges to the minimums. Chances seems a little slim though.

Well we still have Brendan and Kailani so that is still a plus.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Hope there will be somes chamges to the minimums. Chances seems a little slim though.

Well we still have Brendan and Kailani so that is still a plus.

Maybe for next season, but Junior Worlds starts in 3 days so I doubt for this season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It would be nice if they had a range...i.e. if you're within a point or two. It seems silly to leave someone out over hundredths or tenths of a point.