Australian figure skaters | Page 35 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

can'tsk8

Rinkside
What a shame Brendan is not competing at worlds, unfortunately his head gets the better of him more often than not, he has talent to burn but come competition time he falls apart, Nebelhorn was the exception and I wish he would harness that and bring it to all his competitions. This is not the first time he has exited a competition season due to his head, he did not compete again after JGP Brisbane 2011 for quite some time, I think that was around the time he changed coaches. Lets hope he can sort it out but sadly I think its a big issue for him as it can be with lots of athletes. I can't imagine the issues with his sister helped him at all. I am not sure not competing is the right thing to do as the problem is something he needs to overcome.

GF2445

Record Breaker
What a shame Brendan is not competing at worlds, unfortunately his head gets the better of him more often than not, he has talent to burn but come competition time he falls apart, Nebelhorn was the exception and I wish he would harness that and bring it to all his competitions. This is not the first time he has exited a competition season due to his head, he did not compete again after JGP Brisbane 2011 for quite some time, I think that was around the time he changed coaches. Lets hope he can sort it out but sadly I think its a big issue for him as it can be with lots of athletes. I can't imagine the issues with his sister helped him at all. I am not sure not competing is the right thing to do as the problem is something he needs to overcome.

He said in an interview that he is intending to work with a sport psychiatrist. This is for sure a right step. Positive Visualisation of competing, self belief and trusting in your training withoug worrying bout what others are doing in a competition are vital keys to success. Also having a strong training program that deals with on and off ice training, diet, non skating related activity/job to balance rest schedule but most of all a supportive group of people around him would help him alot.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
I'm sad that Brendan won't be at Worlds, but I think it's good; especially if he takes the time to work with a sport psychiatrist and rest. It has been a long season, and to be fair to him, he did bring his good game to Nebelhorn, and there was definitely pressure there. So I trust that if he works with a sport psychiatrist it will be good for him. Looking forwards to next season!

can'tsk8

Rinkside
He said in an interview that he is intending to work with a sport psychiatrist. This is for sure a right step. Positive Visualisation of competing, self belief and trusting in your training withoug worrying bout what others are doing in a competition are vital keys to success. Also having a strong training program that deals with on and off ice training, diet, non skating related activity/job to balance rest schedule but most of all a supportive group of people around him would help him alot.
I am pleased to hear this my comment, I hope was not received as negative, as it was intended to be honest but not negative. I wish him all the best he is great young man and a very gifted skater, but the problem he has is one that really needs help, and it is a problem that has been on going for several years. His issue is not a long season, it really is his head, he totally has the skills, he has always had the skills.....but his head has frequently let him down. For him to be the best he can be he needs to get on top of his psychological issues and without wanting to cause trouble he needs to be removed from his family/sister issues.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When you look at it, though, he was probably under more pressure at Nebelhorn than anywhere else this season. The Olympics were one thing, but he had to qualify, and that was a very pressure-cooker situation in itself, and he held up to it. Brendan's not the first skater and won't be the last to be overwhelmed by the sight of those Olympic rings on the ice...

When I saw him at Skate Down Under - all the way back in mid-August - he was absolutely amazing. I hope I get to see him again live, because he is breathtaking.

GF2445

Record Breaker
To all Australians. No matter where you came from or whether you live here now or you live overseas, you can always call Australia Home but most of all, we must remember and respect the original custodians of this land we call home.

Happy Harmony Day everyone.

Also, less than a week to 2014 Worlds!!!!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Dani and Greg are in the same practice groups as all the Canadians- its Going to be team DSC (plus piper and paul).

GF2445

Record Breaker
My goodness what a ladies short this is turning out to be!!

Well Done Brooklee- her PB score will mean that she is schuduled to be in 19th place after the short program.
Also, Carolina and Mao are a phenomenon. That is all.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Brooklee!

Say a quick question -- I saw someone refer to her as Broccoli. Is that a nickname for her or just a case of autocorrect? ;)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Congrats to Brooklee!

Say a quick question -- I saw someone refer to her as Broccoli. Is that a nickname for her or just a case of autocorrect? ;)

I thinks its an autocorrect thing. My device tried to change Brooklee to other things a couple of times.

Scatcat

Rinkside
Congrats to Brooklee!

Can not imagine anyone haviving that as as "cute" nickname, I have only heard her reffered to as Brooklee or Brook. She ended up 18th overall for the short.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Congrats to Brooklee!

Given that post had been edited from "brokoly" I think someone's autocorrect was being stupid.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Great Result. If she can keep it up for the free, there might be a chance that a Grand Prix Spot for her next season.

53.20 SB/PB

Short Dance starts in just under 3 hours time.

Possum Glider

Rinkside
Well done Dani and Greg:)

Shame about a few little mistakes, sad that they couldn't be send off by Massimo from DSC with a personal best!

Greg have a great day at D1 tomorrow:cool:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Well done Dani and Greg:)

Shame about a few little mistakes, sad that they couldn't send Massimo off from DSC with a personal best!

Greg have a great day at D1 tomorrow:cool:

Unlicky for not making the top 20. The field was very tight. 16th down to 27th place was only separated by about 3 points. Oh well. Nobody can take their Olympics from them and they have already made a top20 at worlds before so they have experienced pretty much everything in ice dance. Whether they continue or not, Australia is proud of them.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
Sorry that Dani and Greg did not make Free Dance. Such a charming team. Would be awesome to have an ISU event in Australia sometime soon!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sorry that Dani and Greg did not make Free Dance. Such a charming team. Would be awesome to have an ISU event in Australia sometime soon!

Not to worry, Australia already has a senior B event- Skate DownUnder which is held in August!