Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian figure skaters

Rinkside
    I'm sure Dani and Greg really appreciate the above vote of confidence, it just echoes the crap they have received all throughout their career from Australian judges and officials.

Dani and Greg will do their best and if it gives their doubters a chance to say I told you they aren't good enough then so be it, the rest of us who know the battles they have fought and won know that they will enter the arena with Aussie pride in their hearts and the support of those who really matter.

Custom Title
    I'm so excited for Dani and Greg! And Brooklee!

And how inconvenient of the Sochi organisers to put the dance and the ladies on when I have to go to work the next day so I can't sit up and watch.

#TeamAUS
    I must say that the commentary from the skating has been fantastic. Belinda Noonan and Chris Howarth doing a good job.

#TeamAUS

News

PREVIEW: O'Brien and Merriman get their bearings

"FIGURE SKATING: Being in the spotlight is what Danielle O’Brien and Greg Merriman do best, but the bright lights of the Olympics have taken the dynamic duo a little getting used to.

“The main rink is almost daunting,” O’Brien said after her first training session at the Iceberg Skating Palace earlier this week.

“Stepping out into the arena - the lights are bright and getting your bearings is a big factor. We managed that well today. Sometimes we have some problems when we get into big arenas...”

Written by Alice Wheeler for the Australian Olympic Committee
    Published February 16, 2014

http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/new...-their-bearing

#TeamAUS
    Recent Tweet @obrienmerriman:

"Casually doing laundry with the Ericsson brothers! #nobigdeal @DetroitRedWings #GoSweden @Sochi2014 pic.twitter.com/pBujXZhzIS:

https://twitter.com/OBrienMerriman/s...124033/photo/1

[B]Wish Dani & Greg Good Luck on their Twitter Handle: @obrienmerriman

#TeamAUS
    The judges have spoken about Dani & Greg's SD.....

AND THEY WANT MORE!!!!

They made it to the FD! Something that i wouldve doubted last season. Their skating style isnt always liked- yes its a little slow and it lacks power, difficulty, intricacy and sophistication but they have an undeniable sense of fun, great polish and on the day they skated their freaking hearts out and they made it!

I do feel really sorry for the Turkish team. Like the Australians and smaller nations, the judges never seem to fully credit these teams. I love agafonova's and ucar's skating in general- they are well matched and are equal skaters who complement eachother well. Their SD empodies alot of the things i love about ice dance. And if you did compare them to the Australians, their SD is more difficult and they do take more risks, but on the day they had more of the things that dani and greg lacked but lacked the qualities dani and greg had in spades on the day. Those finnstep keypoints are a killer! In my ideal world i wouldve let both teams through.

Custom Title
    You should be proud of O'Brien and Merriman. It was a lovely program--one of the few that really felt to me to have that "20's bubbly feeling." They just need more speed and sharpness. Here's hoping they have a successful FD!

Custom Title
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

dani and greg made the fd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day made already!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Hooray!

Custom Title
    YAYY DANI AND GREG! I woke up just in time to see their dance. I'm so so happy for them, and proud as an Australian

#TeamAUS

News Aussie Dancers are Living the Dream Olympics!

O'Brien and Merriman step out in style

"FIGURE SKATING: Danielle O’Brien and Greg Merriman have delivered the performance of their careers in the short program of the Ice Dancing on Sunday night in Sochi.

It has been 26 years since Australia was represented in Olympic Ice Dancing at the Calgary 1988 Games.

It was worth the wait..."

Written by Alice Wheeler of the Australian Olympic Committee
    Published February 17, 2014

http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/new...p-out-in-style

Wish them luck on Twitter! Their twitter handle is @obrienmerriman

#TeamAUS
    Job Well Done for Dani and Greg! A fun program. Despite some negative people's snarks about their costumes being from the bottom of clearence bins and their speed, their most important audience, the Australian public, loved it- it was enjoyable, simple and unpretentious.

Top 20 for Ice Dance is a mighty achievement. They will go to Saitama for 2014 Worlds but after that, they havent made up their mind to retire or continue. For me, 2018 might be too long a wait but maybe a season or two more might see them go places...and maybe even a grand prix for once!

#TeamAUS
    Brooklee is up in a couple of days time- she will be skating in group 2. She has been training at her all time favourite rink in Oberstdorf, Germany so shenas kept a low profile. She should make the Free Skate. Looking forward to seeing her rock that layback spin like a boss.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    Job Well Done for Dani and Greg! A fun program. Despite some negative people's snarks about their costumes being from the bottom of clearence bins and their speed, their most important audience, the Australian public, loved it- it was enjoyable, simple and unpretentious.
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaat? Who said that? They're for it now! RAWR!

Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    Top 20 for Ice Dance is a mighty achievement. They will go to Saitama for 2014 Worlds but after that, they havent made up their mind to retire or continue. For me, 2018 might be too long a wait but maybe a season or two more might see them go places...and maybe even a grand prix for once!
    They're only 25 and 24. By the next Games they'd be 29 and 28, which is not too old...heck, with the longevity for ice dancers, if they really wanted, they could go all the way to 2022!

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    What's important about them is this: They're the first (at least first in a long time).

They've broken ground, perhaps inspiring other athletes... future medal contenders even.

I'm always thrilled to see skaters from other than the traditional powerhouses. It's through them that our sport will grow!

I'm happy for them, and for you, Karne!

Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast