Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian figure skaters

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    I frankly am not appreciative of people who paint Brooklee as this priveliged person who intruded onto the scene and usurped the Olympic spot away from the someone only to disappear after the Olympics. She went through the legal channels to use her citizenship opportunities is witthin reason. Shehas been representing team Australiam for FOUR years, not 1 or 2 years- the whole previous olympic cycle.

My beef with this premise is that it completely ignores the fact that Brooklee worked for absolutely everything that she has achieved for Australia thus far. Its not like she has received any additional funding for representing Australia by the AOC or the OWIA or the USFSA, in fact, i see this as an even greater financial burden and sacrifice for her to fulfill her dream to compete at the highest level in figure skating. Also, though it is in the US, Connecticut is not what you call a hotspot for figure skating. Its just always been her and her coach Serhii Vaypan at her local rink (unlike the more established centres of US figure slating like California, Colerado Springs, Miami, Detroit, Boston or New York).

The bottom line was that it was earned with hard work. And if you compare the points, there is a little gap between Chantelle and Brooklee but its not like its a universe apart- 10-15 points in the grand scheme of things isnt as wide as many think. Make some changes, work on components and work hard on a couple of things and a significant amount of those points can be made up. No one shouldve been surprised or outraged or disappointed at all over the outcome. The writing was on the wall at least two seasons ago that this was going to happen!

If Chantelle wants to make the next Olympics, she is going to have to make changes to her training situation in order to improve her skating. She can catch up but she needs to be willing to construct a solid plan for herself and follow through. I have full faith that it is possible for her to make the next Olympics.

I know i'm late to the discussion, but this, 100%. I have no problem with Brooklee representing Australia - I was very happy for her and happy to see her do well.

#TeamAUS
    Sorry if my post comes off as harsh- im just very passionate like most forumers. My beef is not fully on that previous post but mainly on the Australian Media in general as they did not paint Brooklee in the best light. Most articles surrounding the appeal sided against her. They painted her as an opportunist and never really got her side of the story in terms of the Arbitration case. Even in reports about her olympic performances, they held her to an unusually harsher standard- especially in the sydney morning herald report about her free program.

Custom Title
    GF I don't think you came off that harshly. And yeah, I read the SMH report and wasn't particularly impressed (I am generally not impressed by things in the SMH these days to be honest). I tried to avoid some of the hubbub surrounding the appeal - but most articles sided against her? That sounds like an Australian case of tall poppy syndrome. Brooklee earned Australia's Sochi spot for ladies and won Nationals and I don't think the fact that she represented Australia at Sochi should be disputed.

Would it be nice if Australian representatives at the Olympics were skaters who grew up and/or mostly trained in Australia in future years? Absolutely, because that would mean that there'd be more funding in skating. Is that something that is feasible at the moment? There are so many areas that need support, and our government is not exactly increasing funds in many places (unless you're a farmer or Cadbury factory worker).

Rinkside
    I think there is majority of support for Brooklee amongst Australian skating fans. Brooklee did a great job qualifying the place in Germany then to qualify for the free skate was remarkable.

I was appalled today to hear the "Roy and HG" commentary of her program only adding the fuel to the fire for the few out there who don't understand our citizenship rules. Not ice skate Australia rules but federal law.

I have also read in another thread that Cheltzie Lee is looking at making a comeback in time for next Olympics, this means that it could be a 3 way tussle and with Chantelle's current coaching and training arrangements it would be predictable that she would be 2nd reserve.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Glider View Post
    I was appalled today to hear the "Roy and HG" commentary of her program only adding the fuel to the fire for the few out there who don't understand our citizenship rules. Not ice skate Australia rules but federal law.

I have also read in another thread that Cheltzie Lee is looking at making a comeback in time for next Olympics, this means that it could be a 3 way tussle and with Chantelle's current coaching and training arrangements it would be predictable that she would be 2nd reserve.
    Roy and HG did satire commentary of everything. What they said about Brooklee was very tame compared to their commentary on, say, the snowboardcross...they left Brendan alone (thank goodness), but they were hilarious for Dani/Greg. I thought it was all pretty funny.

Cheltzie, the last I heard, was doing a masters degree at university. That doesn't sound like someone going to 2018.

#TeamAUS
    We also need to watch out for Kailani in the future because my goodness can she jump and perform with energy. Yes, she needs to work on ensuring that her jumps dont get edge calls or underrotation calls or downgrades or even double downgrades but i love her attack in her programs especially this years free skating.

On the Ice
    I don't know how many people commenting here are Australian but I suspect many of you are American, hence the support for Brooklee. Which is perfectly understandable as she us your skater. If you were Australian you would appreciate why we feel the way we do.
    Also it is wrong to say media reports were biased, they simply reported the facts. The facts speak for themselves. The role of the media is to report what is happening, not regurgitate gushing AOC press releases.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunderskatefan View Post
    I don't know how many people commenting here are Australian but I suspect many of you are American, hence the support for Brooklee. Which is perfectly understandable as she us your skater. If you were Australian you would appreciate why we feel the way we do.
    Also it is wrong to say media reports were biased, they simply reported the facts. The facts speak for themselves. The role of the media is to report what is happening, not regurgitate gushing AOC press releases.
    Karne, gf2445 and Orange Cat are all Australian and done a great job introducing Australian figure skating to this board. I'd suggest you actually spend some time in this board and perhaps contribute further to those efforts instead of making assumptions about posters.

Custom Title
    I had the privilege of attending Skate Down Under last year in person. I loved Brendan and Dani and Greg and I was wowed by Chantelle and Kailani. But even though I have only seen Brooklee on my screen, she is evidently the better skater. And that's okay, because Chantelle and Kailani are young and have time, and there are so many wonderful young skaters out there - which YOU would know if you paid attention to Australian skating.

Custom Title
    Downunderskatefan I am Australian, born and raised in Sydney, and I was able to attend segments of the Skate Down Under competition earlier this year. I even had the privilege of fangirling over Dani while she smiled politely at me. While I can understand why some people would prefer someone like Chantelle who has clearer links to Australia to be Australia's representatives in sports, it is not a sentiment I share (Brooklee has stated that she enjoys representing Australia, visits her family in Australia and trains a bit in Melbourne, and she is eligible to represent Australia). But in this case, of all eligible senior ladies representing Australia internationally, Brooklee was the skater whose work and competitive results enabled Australia to earn a ladies' berth in Sochi, and her training and results enabled her to proceed to the FS, and I'm happy for her.

Now it's Chantelle's turn - and Kailani's, and other junior ladies - to work hard and see how they go on the world stage leading up to 2018. I'm excited to see how Kailani goes at Junior Worlds!

On the Ice
    and the facts are brooklee is eligible to compete for australia under the rules because she has dual citizenship AND she qualified for the olympic spot through her own efforts. torah bright lives and trains in utah, maybe she's not fair-dinkum aussie enough to represent us any longer.

Rinkside

I too am Australian, born in Murrurrundi!

I'm really not of the value of picking away at this scab. The past is gone it cannot be changed, the only thing we can do is prepare for the future. It is not good for skaters to have bitterness continually dragged on when the bitterness is a result of their ( and their "camps") doing. The non biased only had to look at the numbers to see who would get Olympics and for this season it was the right result especially when it is public knowledge that Chantelle has been carrying injuries for more then 6 months and recently has been limited in her ability to train so she would not have been in a position to be at her best in early February.

If you look at the ISA website you will see that for many years they have had an "advert" for pairs and dance purely by inviting skaters from overseas to make enquiries on how they can be helped to be Australian representatives. Is this the right way to go, probably because no one training in Australia will have the skills and experience to take Australia into the top rankings.

#TeamAUS
    Lets move on from this. Its probable not best for us to continue this besides, Downunderskatefan is one of us- an Australian who loves this sport. We can leave this to next season when all the athletes are refreshed and healthy again and we have the Olympic madness fully cleansed from our system. Lets move on to the next thing!

We want to wish Eliza and Jordan all the best as they try to make the technical minimums for pairs event (at Junior Worlds) at the Challenge Cup in Hague, The Netherlands. If you are a Queenslander or know any of the skaters from Queensland i hope for your sake that they make it so you guys can celebrate.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Are Dani & Greg retiring or continuing after Worlds?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Are Dani & Greg retiring or continuing after Worlds?
    I haven't heard anything either way. I hope they continue on. They're young enough to hit 2018.

Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast