Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian figure skaters

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    Lets move on from this. Its probable not best for us to continue this besides, Downunderskatefan is one of us- an Australian who loves this sport. We can leave this to next season when all the athletes are refreshed and healthy again and we have the Olympic madness fully cleansed from our system. Lets move on to the next thing!.
    Okay, deal. Thanks for the discussion guys. Onwards.

Rinkside
    Sorry, Just saw this and I feel the need to chime in. There are some facts that need to be mentioned. No one, not one person complained when Brooklee earned a spot to the Youth Olympics and Chantelle got to go. Matter of fact, it was rarely if ever mentioned that Chantelle had the exact same opportunity (two JGP events) to earn the spot but did not, Brooklee earned it. If Brooklee had not qualified a spot to Worlds last year it would have been the first time in (I think since the 1940's). Many years that Australia was not represented. She has brought great opportunity to our skaters and has been an excellent role model for our Youth!
    Last edited by Scatcat; 03-05-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Spelling

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Sorry to say the Smyth/Dodds did not make the minimum TES of 20 in the SP. Missed it by 2.57 points. http://kunstrijden.knsb.nl/2013-2014...306/SEG017.HTM

5 Eliza SMYTH / Jordan DODDS AUS 31.57 17.43 14.14 3.67 3.42 3.25 3.75 3.58 0.00 #4

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    Sorry to say the Smyth/Dodds did not make the minimum TES of 20 in the SP. Missed it by 2.57 points. http://kunstrijden.knsb.nl/2013-2014...306/SEG017.HTM

5 Eliza SMYTH / Jordan DODDS AUS 31.57 17.43 14.14 3.67 3.42 3.25 3.75 3.58 0.00 #4

#TeamAUS

My words there are not that many junior pairs teams at jnr worlds! I wish they could drop the minimum a couple of points!!

And to add insult to injury, they missed the FS TES minimum of 30...by 0.9 points

Custom Title
    And to add insult to injury, they missed the FS TES minimum of 30...by 0.9 points
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

(Have I ever mentioned before that I'm not a fan of TES minimums? Well, I'm not.)

#TeamAUS
    Hope there will be somes chamges to the minimums. Chances seems a little slim though.

Well we still have Brendan and Kailani so that is still a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    Hope there will be somes chamges to the minimums. Chances seems a little slim though.

Well we still have Brendan and Kailani so that is still a plus.
    Maybe for next season, but Junior Worlds starts in 3 days so I doubt for this season.

It would be nice if they had a range...i.e. if you're within a point or two. It seems silly to leave someone out over hundredths or tenths of a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    It would be nice if they had a range...i.e. if you're within a point or two. It seems silly to leave someone out over hundredths or tenths of a point.
    Problem with ranges is that then there'll be another team just outside of the range, and then if they extend the range, there'll be another team.

Maybe a straight minimum, and all teams above automatically get in. But then only if there's not a certain amount of teams/skaters, the minimum drops by a certain pre-arranged amount and all teams above the new amount get in. Still not enough teams, it drops again by the same amount and more teams, etc.

Custom Title
    Problem with ranges is that then there'll be another team just outside of the range, and then if they extend the range, there'll be another team.

Maybe a straight minimum, and all teams above automatically get in. But then only if there's not a certain amount of teams/skaters, the minimum drops by a certain pre-arranged amount and all teams above the new amount get in. Still not enough teams, it drops again by the same amount and more teams, etc.
    I agree. It amazed me that prior to set TES minimums for Worlds, Junior Worlds, Four Continents and Europeans, the number of lower ranked skaters that attended these events who didn't even have a reliable double axel, let alone two different triple jumps.

These jump components alone are REQUIRED in the short, and some of the developing skating nations sent athletes that did not even have them.

It should be expected that to send an athlete to a championship international event, that they have at least landed it previously in competition. Or gained experience first by attempting them in junior and senior B events.

Skating is a sport that isn't measured in absolutes like swimming or running which have their own set of timed minimum standards.

But it is still a massive risk attending an event without the minimum standard necessary, if you're likely to be penalized for not meeting that.

On the Ice
    Minimum requirements are very important not only to set standards but also to give competitors something to strive towards. I don't believe countries should send skaters to international events if they aren't up to it, they just need to suck it up and get better.

Australia is at a disadvantage with pairs because they don't have enough clear ice to train properly or develop speed.

But I understand a new Aussie junior pairs team has just started up and I have heard there is also a promising new dance couple in the wings, I haven't seen either but let's watch this space.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunderskatefan View Post

But I understand a new Aussie junior pairs team has just started up and I have heard there is also a promising new dance couple in the wings, I haven't seen either but let's watch this space.

Exciting to here about new teams. Who are they

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Exciting to here about new teams. Who are they
    As I said they have only started up and are untested in competition so I don't want to put pressure on them by throwing around names at this stage. If they are any good we'll be hearing about them in due course and if they flop I guess we won't!

Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast