Australian figure skaters | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
If the scores from Skate America were used, Brooklee would be far above Kailani in ranking. It is wonderful that Kailani did so well at Lombardia, however, MJS scores really can not compare to International scores. It is like apples and oranges. It would be great to see the Aussie ladies work together and get more spots for themselves and ladies to come! I think these two could do just that!

I completely agree. I really hope that if Brooklee and Kailani continue to make big gains, who knows if a miracle can happen at 2017 Worlds which would give us two spots in the ladies'. I can bet you there would've been a lot of young Aussie figure skaters who would've seen Brooklee's skate on youtube and were motivated to work hard to be their best. That is what we need at the moment, a leading skater or skaters who can inspire the younger one's to give themselves the belief that it is possible to make it to the elite level.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Imagine the next couple of years, as Brooklee and Chantelle and Kailani all grow and mature and oh my goodness :love:

#australiafortheteamevent might not be such a crazy thought come 2018!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Imagine the next couple of years, as Brooklee and Chantelle and Kailani all grow and mature and oh my goodness :love:

#australiafortheteamevent might not be such a crazy thought come 2018!

Those are in my dreams too but we need a pair and a dance team ready as well.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Well Done Brooklee for scoring Grand Prix Points at Skate Canada.
Understandingly, since Brooklee did a pair of Grand Prix events back to back, she has withdrawn from her third Challenger event. She looked quite drained by her free skate.
I hope she gets a restful break.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Also, by the way, Brooklee is currently #25 in the World and she is 3rd in the "Seasons World Rankings"

GF2445

Record Breaker
Mark Webster is currently competing at volvo cup. In his short he only scored 42

At least he was brave. He did a 3A as well as a 3Lz combo and a 3F.
I still believe he can make another surge in his career. I know his form has sort of slumped over the last couple of years but im hopeful. For him, like Brendan, its a mental game and he needs to beat it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At least he was brave. He did a 3A as well as a 3Lz combo and a 3F.
I still believe he can make another surge in his career. I know his form has sort of slumped over the last couple of years but im hopeful. For him, like Brendan, its a mental game and he needs to beat it.

Mark is 27...no, he's probably closer to 28 now. That's a long way back.

But one of my favourite memories from Skate DownUnder was watching him and Brendan play triple Axel psychological warfare in the LP warmup. ;)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Mark is 27...no, he's probably closer to 28 now. That's a long way back.

But one of my favourite memories from Skate DownUnder was watching him and Brendan play triple Axel psychological warfare in the LP warmup. ;)

No i think he is 24-25. He still has a little time.

allylouise91

Spectator
a question from a non-Australian... do australian skate fans not get annoyed/concerned when skaters who grow up and learn the sport in Australia are passed over by others from abroad for the worlds/olympics? We spent our summer in Sydney and my daughter skated at Canterbury. We were generally impressed with the quality of the competitive skaters (though frightened that they were sharing the ice with real beginners!)... We watched Ms Kerry train (and compete in skate down under) and are just curious if Australians are not frustrated when the olympic spot goes to someone who is really from the States. Do you think this negatively impacts on the growth of the sport in Australia? Just curious...

People won't come right out and say that it bothers them, but yes it does. As an Australian skater I have heard many other skaters that I know voicing concerns about these kinds of issues. The fact that this made it to Brooklee Han's Wikipedia page says that people are talking! I can definitely understand where Chantelle Kerry was coming from and why she fought for the spot. It's not even that Han got the Olympic (she earned it with her Nebelhorn scores), it's that she was sent to Nebelhorn in the first place when she didn't skate the Australian event to even qualify for that due to "illness". I feel like it was a rough move from the Australian association, but it's not the first time that I've seen strings pulled for "better" skaters.

Generally I feel that it's a bit unfair for skaters that were born and raised in countries with a higher skating population to simply compete for us just because it'll get them on the National team when they wouldn't have made the cut in that other country. It also makes it harder for the rest of us who don't have world-class coaches and facilities because we come from a country that currently has 21 rinks total, most of which are smaller than regulation size for competitions.

You wouldn't hear much about this topic on a site such as this. I'm sure word would get around - everyone knows everyone in Australian figure skating.

Hope this helps! :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
People won't come right out and say that it bothers them, but yes it does. As an Australian skater I have heard many other skaters that I know voicing concerns about these kinds of issues. The fact that this made it to Brooklee Han's Wikipedia page says that people are talking! I can definitely understand where Chantelle Kerry was coming from and why she fought for the spot. It's not even that Han got the Olympic (she earned it with her Nebelhorn scores), it's that she was sent to Nebelhorn in the first place when she didn't skate the Australian event to even qualify for that due to "illness". I feel like it was a rough move from the Australian association, but it's not the first time that I've seen strings pulled for "better" skaters.

Generally I feel that it's a bit unfair for skaters that were born and raised in countries with a higher skating population to simply compete for us just because it'll get them on the National team when they wouldn't have made the cut in that other country. It also makes it harder for the rest of us who don't have world-class coaches and facilities because we come from a country that currently has 21 rinks total, most of which are smaller than regulation size for competitions.

You wouldn't hear much about this topic on a site such as this. I'm sure word would get around - everyone knows everyone in Australian figure skating.

Hey allylouise91 :) saw that it was your first post. Welcome to Golden Skate Forums. Make yourself at home! Would love to have another Aussie Force on this site.

I hope that all of our skaters will achieve their absolute best this season and the seasons to come.

Scatcat

Rinkside
Wow, are we really going down that road again. People who have no idea about the complete truth really should let things go. Brooklee has brought the level of skating up in in Australia, she has brought so much opportunity to Australian ladies that they otherwise would not have had. She is helping the sport, she is helping to push the skaters. Can people really not see that. How many Junior Grand Prix spots did she earn? Chantelle had a chance to earn herself a spot for youth Olympics and she did not do it, Brooklee did and Chantelle got to go! Brooklee was the only Australian skater to earn the marks for a World spot in 2013, she was the only Aussie lady skater to earn the scores for Worlds in 2014. She has already gotten the scores for 2015 and 2016. She is the first Aussie lady to get 2 Grand Prix events in one season. Brooklee Qualified the spot for Australian ladies by placing top of the 29 countries trying for spots for the Olympics. Brooklee is opening doors and making history. Thank you would be more appropriate rather than constant bashing. Think about it! It would be great if the ladies really soared and pushed into the top ranks, lets cheer for Brooklee, Kailani and Chantelle and whoever else is working their way up!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow, are we really going down that road again. People who have no idea about the complete truth really should let things go. Brooklee has brought the level of skating up in in Australia, she has brought so much opportunity to Australian ladies that they otherwise would not have had. She is helping the sport, she is helping to push the skaters. Can people really not see that. How many Junior Grand Prix spots did she earn? Chantelle had a chance to earn herself a spot for youth Olympics and she did not do it, Brooklee did and Chantelle got to go! Brooklee was the only Australian skater to earn the marks for a World spot in 2013, she was the only Aussie lady skater to earn the scores for Worlds in 2014. She has already gotten the scores for 2015 and 2016. She is the first Aussie lady to get 2 Grand Prix events in one season. Brooklee Qualified the spot for Australian ladies by placing top of the 29 countries trying for spots for the Olympics. Brooklee is opening doors and making history. Thank you would be more appropriate rather than constant bashing. Think about it! It would be great if the ladies really soared and pushed into the top ranks, lets cheer for Brooklee, Kailani and Chantelle and whoever else is working their way up!

:clap:

elle_e

On the Ice

:clap::clap::clap:

GF2445

Record Breaker

I agree. Itis a privelege that she decided to represent our country. She could've easily pursued in her uni studies (she was top of her class in high school) or continued to compete in dressage or even pursue her violin playing- all those options would cost less than pursuing a skating career. But no, she decided to make an expensive choice to represent Australia.

There is an arguement that she should've stayed for the USA and never make it past regionals but i beleive what she has given to our nation's skating outweighs that arguement.
We saw her break 100 points for a ladies free program a couple of weeks ago-- THATS HUGE!
And all the other things scatcat said are true too.

I just hope that maybe if Brooklee keeps pushing and improving atthe rate she is improving, maybe- just maybe a miracle might happen at 2017 Worlds.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Also, whatever your opinion on this issue, I hope that we are proud and fully supportive of all our skaters who represent our nation.

@allylouise91 - do people get annoyed? The short answer is yes, although you will get howled down if you mention it on this site. This is regrettable because it's a discussion that needs to be had and that we should be able to have in a civilised manner. I have brought this up before but have been shouted down.

I think many of the people on this site who think foreign skaters should be able to compete for Australia - even if they were not born here and have never lived or trained here - are American, otherwise they would be aware of the depth of feeling among the Australian figure skating community about the situation.

Yes there is a widespread feeling it is opportunistic and unfair, as well as demoralising for Australian skaters. Granted, foreign skaters can win Australia spots in international comps which is probably the reason selectors are prepared to put them on the team. But I don't think we can pretend overseas skaters who are going down this track do so because they consider themselves to be Australian.

Please understand there is nothing personal about any foreign skater. What we are unhappy about is the system that allows it.

And to say that we are proud of or excited about or have any connection to an overseas skater who has been parachuted onto the team is simply not true.

GF2445

Record Breaker
@allylouise91 - do people get annoyed? The short answer is yes, although you will get howled down if you mention it on this site. This is regrettable because it's a discussion that needs to be had and that we should be able to have in a civilised manner. I have brought this up before but have been shouted down.

I think many of the people on this site who think foreign skaters should be able to compete for Australia - even if they were not born here and have never lived or trained here - are American, otherwise they would be aware of the depth of feeling among the Australian figure skating community about the situation.

Yes there is a widespread feeling it is opportunistic and unfair, as well as demoralising for Australian skaters. Granted, foreign skaters can win Australia spots in international comps which is probably the reason selectors are prepared to put them on the team. But I don't think we can pretend overseas skaters who are going down this track do so because they consider themselves to be Australian.

Please understand there is nothing personal about any foreign skater. What we are unhappy about is the system that allows it.

And to say that we are proud of or excited about or have any connection to an overseas skater who has been parachuted onto the team is simply not true.

So what do you want? To see her retire, get injured....go back to where she came from?
I find it really disheartening when the pride of our nation gets in the way of the situation at had. We need a ladies skater on the scene to help pave open a way for our nation to get more opportunities

I pray that Anthony Liu did not get this attitude when he changed nationalites to Australia

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Except that, particularly in your case, IT IS PERSONAL. You've been taking shots at Brooklee every chance you get to try and promote Chantelle. That's not the way to do it. Chantelle is very talented and will get there in her own way - and Brooklee is helping by making spots available.

Brooklee is Australian. It is not her fault that she was raised elsewhere. She is Australian, she is obviously proud to be Australian, and she does us proud on the world stage.

Is Brendan less Australian because he now trains most of the time in California? Of course not. Are Dani and Greg less Australian because they lived in Detroit? Of course not.