Australian figure skaters | Page 55 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Some big congratulations are in order.

Firstly, A big thumbs up to Kailani for finishing in 16th place overall. She has really pushed herself technically. I am looking forward to seeing how she improves her triples to get them around. She is also a lovely spinner.

And Secondly, another congratulations for James Min. Despite not making it to the Free Skate, his performance definitely brought the sleepy crowd in Tallinn back to life. So many of the skaters before him skated cautious or uninspiring programs and James skated with great confidence, pushing himself to get a triple lutz out instead o. I really enjoy that his step sequence is integrated into the program (instead of telegraphed) and has so much speed, flow and utilises the ice surface. As he grows, he will get bigger jumps and his spins will become faster.

:thumbsup: Congrats to Team Australia! Got to give props to Kailani for going for the hard content! I hope she'll get it all next time. :)

Onward to Worlds! Good luck Brenden and Brooklee!

GF2445

Record Breaker
I am so going to miss having Dani and Greg at Worlds :cry:

I know. My tag "Missing D&G" still stands. If they stuck around, they could've been invited to the Grand Prix. In saying that, getting training at DSC and living away from home is not cheap. They sort of fallen off the social media radar so I wish those two the best in their future pursuits. They were a great demonstration of reward through hardwork as well as making the best and overcoming the odds in the face of animosity.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Very nice. It's still my opinion that in a pure spin contest, Brooklee and Kailani could more than hold their own!

I see in the comments beneath that Timothy Dolensky rates her donut as the "best"!

EDIT: If you go into their actual Facebook page, the video above (hashtagged #plushypower) is a nice 3Lz. Landing is a bit hooky, but not too bad.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
EDIT: If you go into their actual Facebook page, the video above (hashtagged #plushypower) is a nice 3Lz. Landing is a bit hooky, but not too bad.

Yeah. Brooklee's jumps tend to go inside the circle and hooks, especially if she doesn't come in with enough speed/power- she also relies largely on her arms to rotate. She needs to get some straight line jump technique.

That's just my opinion but her coach is doing a great job and they seem to also have a great partnership going on.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Australia 1 Junior Team, the Elite Iceskateers, is currently in seventeenth place at the World Junior Synchro championships.

Here's their SP to "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RwExIYrz2oI

They have 4 guys and 12 guys on the team. The guys have great spirals! The patterns with the guys and girls in different costumes are interesting!

I am looking forward to see what they do for their free skate.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
The Australia 1 Junior Team, the Elite Iceskateers, is currently in seventeenth place at the World Junior Synchro championships.

Here's their SP to "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RwExIYrz2oI

They have 4 guys and 12 guys on the team. The guys have great spirals! The patterns with the guys and girls in different costumes are interesting!

I am looking forward to see what they do for their free skate.

Thankyou so much for sharing it.

So happy for them to finish in 17th place

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love the response the audience gave them! And the sorts of patterns they were able to do with a 12 women / 4 men team was quite the most interesting choreo at the event!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Kailani Craine: Aussie Teen On The Rise

" Kailani Craine is part of a new wave of young skating talent emerging from Australia. Hailing from a nation known worldwide for its love of competitive sport, it is not surprising that the 16-year-old who hails from Newcastle, has unlimited personal ambitions.

“When I go to competitions abroad, I see all these great skaters that are doing really big things, so I have to be able to do that too,” Craine explained. “That’s the way I look at it. It’s not about what is happening in Australia, but all over the world..."

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/32768-kailani-craine-aussie-teen-on-the-rise

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I particularly like this quote:

In much the same way that the domestic rivalry in ladies figure skating in Japan and more recently in Russia has served to boost the standing of those countries on a global scale, so too has Craine’s fledgling rivalry with fellow Australian Brooklee Han driven the standard of skating in Australia higher.

Craine firmly believes that having another skater at a similar level can only be a positive thing. “It’s a friendly rivalry and there’s nothing mean about it,” she said. “It’s really good because we push ourselves to try and be better than one another. She is a great person to be around and I enjoy traveling with her to competitions."

If I read the article correctly, she trains full-time in the US now.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Checked the music rotations for practice. Brendan is in the same practice group as the Japanese and Czech teams.

Will be a great experience for him.
Nail those jumps! There is nothing to lose.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have done the time conversions for the relevant events. All times below are AEDT.

Ladies

SP - Thursday 26th, 1:30pm-6:40pm
LP - Saturday 28th, 1:30pm-5:25pm

Men

SP - Friday 27th, 7:30pm-11:55pm
LP - Saturday 28th, 8:45pm - 12:55am (Sun)

Because we are in Australia we have access to the free ISU livestream.

iskate

On the Ice
Well done to Holly Harris, currently in 4th place (out of 19) after the SP at Gardena Spring Trophy (Novice)! She is only around 11 years old if I remember correctly (met her at Nationals 2013, I think she was 10 then), really promising talent for the future.

Here is her FS from her club championships last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ci34Qi8PRQ :love:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Well done to Holly Harris, currently in 4th place (out of 19) after the SP at Gardena Spring Trophy (Novice)! She is only around 11 years old if I remember correctly (met her at Nationals 2013, I think she was 10 then), really promising talent for the future.

Here is her FS from her club championships last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ci34Qi8PRQ :love:

Ooh. I forgot that Gardena trophy already began. So happy to see Holly doing so well. She is definitely someone to look out for.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Holly Harris for coming 4th at the Gardena Spring Trophy novice ladies' event and Darian Kaptich who moved up to win the bronze medal in the novice men's.

Time to update the medal tally!!