Australian figure skaters | Page 57 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That is very exciting news, anonymooose_au! I hope you have a great time there. Brendan is marvellous to watch live. Maybe you'll get to see a back flip!

I have never been to Macquarie. What's it like?

EDIT: It's in a shopping centre? :shocked:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That is very exciting news, anonymooose_au! I hope you have a great time there. Brendan is marvellous to watch live. Maybe you'll get to see a back flip!

I have never been to Macquarie. What's it like?

EDIT: It's in a shopping centre? :shocked:

Thanks Karne, it is! :yay:OMG, I hadn't even thought of that! I was excited at the prospect of seeing a quad in person...

As for the ice rink it's quite good, I actually took lessons there waaaay back in the 90s but I never got beyond Level 3, but I recently bought second hand skates so I've been trying to go once a week.

The only downside is that on really, really hot days the sun shines in so much from the bank of big windows the rink gets a bit...melty. I took a pic of it actually!

And it is real ice - I know there's some ice rinks in shopping centres in China that are synthetic, which is weird...but here they bring the Zamboni out at the end of each session.

Oh and the people in the food court can look down from the internal windows, but I've managed not to fall over or otherwise embarrass myself. :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks Karne, it is! :yay:OMG, I hadn't even thought of that! I was excited at the prospect of seeing a quad in person...

As for the ice rink it's quite good, I actually took lessons there waaaay back in the 90s but I never got beyond Level 3, but I recently bought second hand skates so I've been trying to go once a week.

The only downside is that on really, really hot days the sun shines in so much from the bank of big windows the rink gets a bit...melty. I took a pic of it actually!

And it is real ice - I know there's some ice rinks in shopping centres in China that are synthetic, which is weird...but here they bring the Zamboni out at the end of each session.

Oh and the people in the food court can look down from the internal windows, but I've managed not to fall over or otherwise embarrass myself. :biggrin:

The quad and the triple Axel - I don't know if he'll pull them out for a show, but I hope he does for your sake, because when you see them for the very first time - why, it takes your breath away. His Salchow is better than the toe, I think.

Those large windows don't look very conducive to maintaining a proper rink in an Australian summer, but oh well. Knowing that people could be watching from the food court is kind of weird, but then again, it could be beneficial, to do program run-throughs in front of strangers.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Well, I have exciting news! I went ice skating today and there was a poster on the door to the rink advertising a show that's coming there on 16th April.

They've called it Champions on Ice and Brendan Kerry among others will be there! I'm definitely buying a ticket. I've never been to an ice show before so I'm looking forward to it. :popcorn:

If anyone else is in Sydney and is interested here's the website, apparently you can call to request tickets as well as buy them at the rink.

(Man, my photo didn't come out as well as I hoped! :hopelessness:)

If only I wasn't buried in uni assignments....
Also, seeing Les Mis and the Syd Symphony Orchestra that week as well.

Fingers crossed Skate Down Under will return to Sydney next season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well, I have exciting news! I went ice skating today and there was a poster on the door to the rink advertising a show that's coming there on 16th April.

They've called it Champions on Ice and Brendan Kerry among others will be there! I'm definitely buying a ticket. I've never been to an ice show before so I'm looking forward to it. :popcorn:

If anyone else is in Sydney and is interested here's the website, apparently you can call to request tickets as well as buy them at the rink.

(Man, my photo didn't come out as well as I hoped! :hopelessness:)

Could it be that Richard Dornbush will be skating in Brendan's show??

My question is based on Ricky's tweet today (Apr 6) mentioning an upcoming trip to "AUS!!!" I think it is plausible that he means Down Under (and not Austria), based on his friendship with Brendan.

They could be planning some dueling back flips ...

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Could it be that Richard Dornbush will be skating in Brendan's show??

My question is based on Ricky's tweet today (Apr 6) mentioning an upcoming trip to "AUS!!!" I think it is plausible that he means Down Under (and not Austria), based on his friendship with Brendan.

They could be planning some dueling back flips ...

Yes it is! The poster calls him Ricky Dornbush, I guess Richard is too formal for him. :laugh:

I didn't know they were friends or that he does backflips too...a duel would be cool! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes it is! The poster calls him Ricky Dornbush, I guess Richard is too formal for him. :laugh:

I didn't know they were friends or that he does backflips too...a duel would be cool! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I don't know a lot about Brendan, but AFAIK, for much of the year, Ricky and he are training-mates in southern California.
And I believe that they are close friends off the ice.

About the back-flips:
At a Michael Weiss ice show in the Washington, DC, area a few months ago, five skaters attempted to set a Guinness World Record together for the most simultaneous back flips.
Three of the guys were Ricky, Michael, and Ryan Bradley. I don't remember the fourth (maybe Dan Hollander???). The fifth (recruited by Ricky) was Brendan, who learned to perform the back flip specifically for this show and for the world-record attempt. (No pressure, Brendan ;).)
Two attempts that looked totally successful were videotaped -- the links are somewhere on GS.
Guinness typically takes several weeks before it officially certifies a world record, and there was no reason to believe that certification would not be granted. But I never heard for sure whether the certification came through.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Junior national pair champion Jordan Dodds has split with Eliza Smyth. Jordan wishes to focus on singles skating while Eliza is searching for new partners. Eliza is currently in Canterbury rink having a tryout with Harley Dahlstrom.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Junior national pair champion Jordan Dodds has split with Eliza Smyth. Jordan wishes to focus on singles skating while Eliza is searching for new partners. Eliza is currently in Canterbury rink having a tryout with Harley Dahlstrom.

Ohh, this is very sad news. I loved watching Jordan and Eliza together, they went very well and seemed to be progressing quite nicely. But Jordan is a very nice skater on his own right so I can understand a focus on singles.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ohh, this is very sad news. I loved watching Jordan and Eliza together, they went very well and seemed to be progressing quite nicely. But Jordan is a very nice skater on his own right so I can understand a focus on singles.
Good luck to both of them.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Great job Team Infusion. We are guaranteed a top 20 spot after the short program. Solid effort.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
7 Team Australia, named Infusion,
AUS
19 33.63

Team Australia will start seventh in the FS, and is currently in 19th place.

GF2445

Record Breaker
It is! How old is she?
Good question. Im not really tied to the skating community in Australia so i dont really know. All i do is watch and comment,

Also, great job for team AUS for finishing 20th at worlds. They had so many cool tricks and interesting formations. If this synchro team can work on the second mark thry will be risong the ranks.

So now AUS has three equally matched teams- Fusion from WA, Nova from QLD and Fire On Ice from NSW.
Time for them to push each other

GF2445

Record Breaker
With Australia making podium finishes at the World Development Trophy, we need to update the medal tally again!!!

Congratulations to:
Kristen Sicola for finishing 2nd in the Jnr Ladies
Lucette Weaver for finishing 3rd in the Basic Novice B Ladies' Event
Hayley Dean for winning the Basic Novice A Ladies' Event, Milan Whitsed for coming second (Also to Simone Aubrecht for her 11th place finish)

2014-2015 Aussie Skaters Medal Tally

:points::party2::hb::popcorn:

GoldSilverBronzeTotal

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hey everyone I'm here at the skating show and there's just been a backflip off between Brendan, Richard and some guy who coaches at the rink. Super exciting stuff! I have video which I'll download when I get home! Lots of talented Aussies here tonight!