Australian figure skaters | Page 58 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
Hey everyone I'm here at the skating show and there's just been a backflip off between Brendan, Richard and some guy who coaches at the rink. Super exciting stuff! I have video which I'll download when I get home! Lots of talented Aussies here tonight!

WOOOT!!!!!
Very happy to hear that the show is going well.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hey everyone I'm here at the skating show and there's just been a backflip off between Brendan, Richard and some guy who coaches at the rink. Super exciting stuff! I have video which I'll download when I get home! Lots of talented Aussies here tonight!

LOL, did I not tell you Ricky and Brendan would be doing dueling back-flips :yes:?! (Sorry, I usually don't say, "I told you so," but this time it's about a happy prediction ;).)

But I wouldn't have guessed that a third guy would be joining them.

Sounds fun :cool:. Thx for the report.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Was it Sean Abram? I know he can do a backflip.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Was it Sean Abram? I know he can do a backflip.

No, I think it was a guy called Mike? I'm pretty sure I've actually seen him coaching kids on the rink when skating - didn't know he could do backflips until now :laugh:.

Anyway! I got autographs from Richard Dornbush, Chantelle Kerry and the man himself Brendan Kerry! :biggrin:

Oh and I've uploaded this video of the three man sychronised backflips. Haven't got around to looking at the other videos I made - its bedtime for me. But yeah good times, good times.

GF2445

Record Breaker
No, I think it was a guy called Mike? I'm pretty sure I've actually seen him coaching kids on the rink when skating - didn't know he could do backflips until now :laugh:.

Anyway! I got autographs from Richard Dornbush, Chantelle Kerry and the man himself Brendan Kerry! :biggrin:

Oh and I've uploaded this video of the three man sychronised backflips. Haven't got around to looking at the other videos I made - its bedtime for me. But yeah good times, good times.

WOW!!! That was fantastic.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thx for the video! Cool :cool: that you got autographs from the skaters as well.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Great video! Thanks so much for the video and report! Glad you got to meet them :)

MacDiddy

Spectator
The third guy doing the backflip was Michael Pasfield, father of Katie Pasfield. He coaches at Macquarie and occasionally does backflips at the end of sessions.

Great show wasn't it? Lots of talent on display.

GF2445

Record Breaker
The third guy doing the backflip was Michael Pasfield, father of Katie Pasfield. He coaches at Macquarie and occasionally does backflips at the end of sessions.

:)
I wish I was there!!!

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Yes it was! (Err, sorry for the seriously late reply) Did you get good seats? Mine was pretty good except for a pole that got in the way every so often...

Oh and I meant to post this before, although it doesn't exactly belong here, because Ricky isn't an Aussie, but whatever we can claim him as an honourary one, because this program was hilarious. :laugh2:

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Yes it was! (Err, sorry for the seriously late reply) Did you get good seats? Mine was pretty good except for a pole that got in the way every so often...

Oh and I meant to post this before, although it doesn't exactly belong here, because Ricky isn't an Aussie, but whatever we can claim him as an honourary one, because this program was hilarious. :laugh2:

The shaky camera work gave me a headache. All I could see were people's heads.

iskate

On the Ice
Tonight there was a skating "gala show" at the Icehouse, which included performances from Kailani Craine, James Min, Andrew Dodds, and some ice dancers (Oliver & Matilda, I think? I don't really follow dance). I didn't get to watch it because I was working (I work at the rink..) but managed to sneak across on my break and watch a bit of it. It's great to see shows like this happening in Australia (maybe the sport's popularity is increasing? Maybe...maybe?). I'm not sure of the final numbers but the stands (can seat approx 1000, I think) looked around half full, which isn't bad for a figure skating event in a place like Melbourne.

Kailani's spins are amazing, even better in reality than they are on videos. She's improved so much since I last saw her skate live at nationals a few years ago! Also saw her training this morning, her jumps looked nice and 3Lz seemed pretty consistent. James Min's triples are looking good too. The skaters who performed went skating in the rather busy public session afterwards, the public skaters were astounded, haha.

Harrison Craig (winner of the Voice 2013, I think) was also singing live in the show which was pretty cool. A bit sad that Brendan couldn't skate though (he was supposed to and was shown on the posters around the rink, but I was told he was sick and pulled out at the last minute :eek:hwell:

Horseandpony

Rinkside
Hey! I was at the gala as well, and the two ice dancers were William and Matilda. It was a really great show, and there was a little speed skating exhibition as well! Kailani's performances were great, and all the skaters seemed to really enjoy themselves. :)

Ahh, I'm sad that I didn't stay long enough to see them skate in the public session! I did consider digging my skates out of my locker and going for it, but I was wearing jeans. :(

Edit: @iskate oh, you work at the Icehouse? I'm so jealous! I've been trying for weeks. :(

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The shaky camera work gave me a headache. All I could see were people's heads.

:eek::How embarrassing! Sorry, I knew my camera work left a lot to be desired but I didn't think it would cause headaches.

Tonight there was a skating "gala show" at the Icehouse, which included performances from Kailani Craine, James Min, Andrew Dodds, and some ice dancers (Oliver & Matilda, I think? I don't really follow dance). I didn't get to watch it because I was working (I work at the rink..) but managed to sneak across on my break and watch a bit of it. It's great to see shows like this happening in Australia (maybe the sport's popularity is increasing? Maybe...maybe?). I'm not sure of the final numbers but the stands (can seat approx 1000, I think) looked around half full, which isn't bad for a figure skating event in a place like Melbourne.

Kailani's spins are amazing, even better in reality than they are on videos. She's improved so much since I last saw her skate live at nationals a few years ago! Also saw her training this morning, her jumps looked nice and 3Lz seemed pretty consistent. James Min's triples are looking good too. The skaters who performed went skating in the rather busy public session afterwards, the public skaters were astounded, haha.

Harrison Craig (winner of the Voice 2013, I think) was also singing live in the show which was pretty cool. A bit sad that Brendan couldn't skate though (he was supposed to and was shown on the posters around the rink, but I was told he was sick and pulled out at the last minute :eek:hwell:

Sounds like a great show! :biggrin: Shame Brendan couldn't come though :( I hope he gets well soon!

And how cool (pun intended :cool:) that you work at the Icehouse!