Australian figure skaters | Page 94 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
I wonder, will Ekaterina and Harley participate at JW and Worlds? I mean, the handicap between this competitions is very small. And moreover, Duskova/Bidar decided to not participate at Junior Worlds. Also Mishina/Mirzoev - Mirzoev got injury and WD from their Nationals. I allude to the fact that Katya and Harley can WIN Junior Worlds! :clapper: Or at least be it the top three! So I hope they will skate at JW anyway. :yes:

Good question. I'll have a check, but I suspect that they will miss JW. I'll have a look around and see if there is an answer anywhere.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Good question. I'll have a check, but I suspect that they will miss JW. I'll have a look around and see if there is an answer anywhere.

They're in their first year as a team, and able to compete junior and senior at the same time. I think it would be insane for them to skip junior worlds, especially as they are medal favourites.

Hopefully, they will be able to strategise knowing what the next three competitions are (Four Continents, Junior Worlds, and Senior Worlds), instead of being thrown off the deep end as alternates for the Grand Prix Final at the last second.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yay! Brooklee won the silver medal at the Reykjavik Games! :cheer:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Phew! What an incredible weekend at 4CC - ISU PBs all round!

But we don't get a rest! Asian Winter Games is this week! Now, our skaters can't win medals here, but it will still be fun to see where they line up.

Team:
Brendan KERRY
Kailani CRAINE
Paris STEPHENS/Matthew DODDS
Matilda FRIEND/William BADAOUI

Schedule :

23/2
Short Dance: 1710-1810
Ladies SP: 1850 - 2240

24/2
Pairs SP: 1620-1730
Free Dance: 1805-1915
Men's SP: 2005-2310

25/2
Pairs FS: 1700-1820
Ladies FS: 1900-2255

26/2
Men's FS: 1400-1740
Gala: 2000-2200

LIVE STREAM IS HERE

GF2445

Record Breaker
Since I haven't posted in a while on this fan page, I thought I would share my rambling thoughts about Australia's performances over the past two weeks. This post will also flesh out my thoughts on the progress of Australian skating from a fan perspective (i have no connections to the skating comminity in Australia-just a fan who likes to watch)
There is no doubt that out top skaters have had their work cut out. First competing in the Olympic Test Venue amongst the best in the Four Continents. Then a 'rematch' of sorts in the home of Figure Skating, Japan.

I'll sort my thoughts by each discipline. First Ice Dance.

Ice Dance
First to state the obvious. Australia's Ice Dance program is very much in development, with all our teams thoroughly ranked at the bottom of the pack. This trend of Australia being 'at the bottom of the pack' in Ice Dance has been consistent in a lot of the International competitions our Junior and Senior teams entered in. However, from what I saw last week, as well as what we saw earlier this season at Nationals, there are signs that this might change in the future. Bofore this Olympic cycle, despite finding success with Dani and Greg, there were never enough teams for a true ice dance program to grow. However, this has changed, as we have seen increased participation in Ice Dance in Australia- we had 5 Junior and 4 Senior dance teams at nationals- many of the partnerships newly formed.
I never got the chance to ever see Demid and Adele perform before, however, they really surprised me in both programs- they showed that they worked well and matched each other well. Kim and Tim also have been showing signs of growth this season- it's so nice to see Kim skating competitively again- and with her and Tim training in Canton with Marina, I know they are in good hands (we might see the fruits of their labours later).
And finally Matilda and William. Being the team with the longest partnership, they obviously were the strongest of the Australian couples in terms of the second mark, and their elements looked more cohesive. Their 4CC campaign was unfortunately not a success for them with an unfortunate amount errors and mistakes. However, the sayings "a lot can change in a week" and "They looked completely different" would be appropriate to describe how they rallied strongly at the Winter Games to score unofficial PB's. Their determination and focus to attack their program was obvious in Sapporo. This gives me lots of hope that we will see them continue to get stronger. It is not likely that they will qualify for this coming Olympics, but they should use the Olympics next year as an opportunity to make strides up the standings- and who know- if AUS qualifies for the team event, anything is possible.

Pairs
Katia and Harley have had a overwhelming debut season, with early successes and accomplishments, including taking part in the challenger series, gold in JGP Tallinn, a trip to the JGPF, and being crowned national champions. Their campaign here had many positive points, as well as technical problems- (e.g. the throws, the catch on the twist in the Free Skate, the SBS 3S, lifts etc.). You could tell from their reactions in the KnC that they were not 100% happy with their performances, and what they put out was not what they were doing in practice. This was not surprising as this is their first competitive season together, and the bright lights of a major competition creates nerves and can cause skaters to make the most unusual mistakes. It is very common for new partnerships to begin with a bang, and then after a while, will experience a period of challenge. Negatives aside, those two really have shown us many glimpses of great promise- and the opportunity to grab an Olympic spot at worlds is definitely a possibility.

Paris and Matthew came back with a strong free skate in Sapporo after a difficult SP. Despite having challenges with their Throw 3Lo, and the SBS, it is great to see them going out and competing. I hope they really relished competing at a big multi-sport competition like the AWG and will use it as a springboard to improve their technical elements and skating skills, as well as accomplish great things next season. [Fingers crossed that they will get their Min TES for 4CC]

Women's
Kailani has really been making strides this season. Her commitment and love for skating is obvious with each performance. This was especially obvious in her SP at both events. Her SP is a really great vehicle for her- I recommend that if she wants to keep a program for the Olympic year, this would be the one. Of course, she will need the triple triple eventually, but I trust that her coaching team will be working with her to fight the potential under rotations. If there was one thing I would like to change to that program is to reduce the amount of 'standing' time and replace it with more intricate movements (steps or use of the whole body) that could demonstrate to the judges a higher level of skating skills. Her free skate to Hallelujah is a departure from her 'fiery' skating style. I see the intent to refine and soften her movements, as well as working on extending lines-and it has paid off with some improvement in her second mark. Also, from her FS performances, I was able to see that Kailani has such a fantastic presence when performing- despite being dung with 3 >'s 2 !'s and an "e" for her 3Lz in Sapporo, it did not detract from her performance. Kailani has a very strong chance to grab one of the Olympic spots in Helsinki.

Brooklee had a redemption performance at 4CC. With the many changes she had to make this year (including and coaching and location change), for most of the season, it seemed like Brooklee would not of been able to put it together. Just weeks before at the Reykjavik International Games, Brooklee either fell or stumbled on every jumping pass- but in the free skate at four continents, she skated with a lot more focus and attack to earn her new PB. Her free program is a vehicle she should take with her next season. I look forward to seeing what Peter Cain does to help her get her triples or maybe a triple triple.

Men's
Mark had a great return to 4 continents this year with solid PBs. I really love Mark's music choices and he interprets them- especially the phone program. It seems like his return to competition has brought with him a fresh perspective of his competitive career and his skating seems more joyful to me than before.
Andrew and Empty chairs at empty tables- the DoddsSquad the Hashtags on Twitter- he is one of my favourite tweeters online. He also had a pretty good campaign here. I still am hoping to give him a 3A for Christmas.

Brendan wins the award for most improved skater this season. He has made large strides to improve over this season and it is paying off. He is mentally stronger and at many moments skates like he wants to be the best. This season, he has pulled off solid Quad Toes and Salchows in competition and has been able to put out programs without giving up. His second mark has seen growth as well. I'm going to put this out there- if Brendan skated 100% his best (i.e. none of his silly mistakes/hand downs/Step outs etc.) at 4CC, he would've been 6th easily, and he would've been a lot closer to Mura in the AWG. That is how good Brendan can be. For now, he needs to get home, rest/recover, continue his new training program to increase stamina, and come to Finland ready to grab the Olympic Spot that is waiting for him.
I will like to see him do 3 Quads in the free.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I saw these and thought about this topic. A few high quality very nice shots of Brendan (I searched for a Breandan topic but didn't find one, hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong fanfest)

https://twitter.com/wioveriyw/status/837924946038800384

https://twitter.com/wioveriyw/status/837920883456946176

The photographer made some comments on the photographs. (paraphrasing to the nearest english equivalent)
1. Pretty as a picture! Felt like I was taking photos of a model.
2. Brendan who is as beautiful as a painting. :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I saw these and thought about this topic. A few high quality very nice shots of Brendan (I searched for a Breandan topic but didn't find one, hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong fanfest)

https://twitter.com/wioveriyw/status/837924946038800384

https://twitter.com/wioveriyw/status/837920883456946176

Oooh, thankyou for the pretty shots of Brendan :love:

(I think he does have a Fan Fest of his own, like Brooklee and Kailani...but everyone ends up back in here anyway.)

The photographer made some comments on the photographs. (paraphrasing to the nearest english equivalent)
1. Pretty as a picture! Felt like I was taking photos of a model.
2. Brendan who is as beautiful as a painting. :biggrin:

Looks like he's picked up another smitten fan :laugh: He is packaged extremely well this season, especially that short.

If anyone has ideas, Andrew Dodds is asking on Twitter for music ideas for next season :) Some of the ideas so far have been a bit whacky :laugh: but some have been pretty good. I imagine he will be choosing soon though since his season is likely to start at Hollins or Wintersun in June...

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Oooh, thankyou for the pretty shots of Brendan :love:

(I think he does have a Fan Fest of his own, like Brooklee and Kailani...but everyone ends up back in here anyway.)

Looks like he's picked up another smitten fan :laugh: He is packaged extremely well this season, especially that short.

If anyone has ideas, Andrew Dodds is asking on Twitter for music ideas for next season :) Some of the ideas so far have been a bit whacky :laugh: but some have been pretty good. I imagine he will be choosing soon though since his season is likely to start at Hollins or Wintersun in June...

https://twitter.com/wioveriyw/status/837917122164469760 Here's another Brendan photo with comment
"Classically handsome Brendan. His jumps were steady and it was great to see lots of smiles."

GF2445

Record Breaker
Good luck to our reps at #WorldJFigure 2017 in Taipei City this week.

James Min- Apart from skating, he likes to sing pop songs as well! In recent news, he was invited last Christmas to be part of an Ice Show in Cambodia, the nation his parents come from! There are clips of one of his self choreographed exhibitions on his social media.
He also has all his triples nailed down, as well as the triple lutz triple toe- fingers crossed the 3A he began doing this season will come into his competitive arsenal next season.
His latest post shows him going through some of his triples quite easily.

https://www.facebook.com/JamesMinFigureSkating/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE+
https://www.instagram.com/jamez_min/

Holly Harris- Her SP is absolutely wonderful and expressive and genuine in her movements. Hope she makes the cut.
Katia Alexandrovskaya and Harley Windsor >>> Big Medal Contenders- a good way to make a name for themselves before senior worlds. Like any new team, there is still much they need to learn about each other for them to skate as one, but they do have some lovely elements. Fingers crossed for their throw jump.
Matilda Friend and William Badaoui- Wish them all the best- a strong skate will help them make it to the next level in the eyes of the judges. https://www.facebook.com/Matilda-Friend-and-William-Badaoui-450816605078338/

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That must mean it's TIME CONVERSION TIME!

All times AEDT, Queenslanders add an hour, etc etc.

Wednesday March 15
1330-2010 - Men's SP
2200-0030 (Thurs) - Pairs SP

Thursday March 16
1430-1930 - Short Dance
2030-0030 (Fri) - Men's FS

Friday March 17
1400-2050 - Ladies FS
2200-0050 (Sat) - Pairs FS

Saturday March 18
1430-1730 - Free Dance
1900-2245 - Ladies FS

Sunday March 19
1800-2000 - Gala

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
That must mean it's TIME CONVERSION TIME!

All times AEDT, Queenslanders add an hour, etc etc.

Wednesday March 15
1330-2010 - Men's SP
2200-0030 (Thurs) - Pairs SP

Thursday March 16
1430-1930 - Short Dance
2030-0030 (Fri) - Men's FS

Friday March 17
1400-2050 - Ladies FS
2200-0050 (Sat) - Pairs FS

Saturday March 18
1430-1730 - Free Dance
1900-2245 - Ladies FS

Sunday March 19
1800-2000 - Gala

Actually deduct an hour lol. So frustrating the fact I'm in Brisbane, less than an hour and a half from the state border and 6 months of time confusion every year! Ps. I'm in the clock forwarding camp ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Actually deduct an hour lol. So frustrating the fact I'm in Brisbane, less than an hour and a half from the state border and 6 months of time confusion every year! Ps. I'm in the clock forwarding camp ;)

Ah you're right, I didn't brain properly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Overnight results:

James MIN scored a new PB for his SP! Sadly that had him 29th, and he didn't make the free skate :( By only three points :(

Katia ALEXANDROVSKAYA and Harley WINDSOR are currently THIRD after the SP!

Today:

Matilda FRIEND and William BADAOUI skate last in the fifth group of the short dance - about 5:45pm AEDT.

Tomorrow:

Holly HARRIS skates last in the third group of the ladies' short program - about 4:10pm AEDT.

Then ALEXANDROVSKAYA/WINDSOR will skate first in the last group of the pairs free skate - about 12:20am (Saturday morning).