Katarina Witt, TV Documentary | Golden Skate

Katarina Witt, TV Documentary

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Did anyone catch the documentary on tv about Katarina Witt and the Cold War - called "The Diplomat"? I watched most of it. It covered Katarina's early days of competing, and the period when she filmed the special Carmen on Ice show with Brian Orser and Brian Boitano which was made when the Berlin Wall came down. It was interesting. Although Katarina was certainly a sports hero for her nation, they also despised her for the money she was earning while training and competing. She lived a life of privilege according to some. Great footage.

I managed to miss it but imagine that it was wonderful. Some years ago, I saw a report on the doping of athletes in other East German sports, mainly swimming and track and field, and it gave a gripping portrait of the ruthlessness of the East German government. I think in many ways, Germany was worse than the Soviet Union, because it was a smaller country and so culturally homogeneous that it was almost impossible not to be noticed by the authorities. I wonder if any of it is on YouTube.